Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American 3LP @SRC

so much money is being made off these. it sickens me.

What DO you think the profit margin on these is?

Anyone with more insight wanna hypothesize?

here's a similar example.

k records reissued the microphones - the glow pt. 2 a few years back in a 3lp format while the original was a 2lp. the original run was long out of print. the reissue, which is very impressively packaged, retails at $25. http://shop.krecs.com/products/klp190

why is a similarly packaged album being sold at $54.99, over double the price of a similar situation? not to mention this is a whole new run of what was supposed to be a limited RSD release.

i'm thinking over 200% profit on these at least. but hey, people are willing to throw exorbitant amounts of money at anything limited right?

edit: oh and i'm pretty sure the original price of the 3lp deluxe edition of bleed american was $45. so even if for some reason the manufacturing cost of these is through the roof what would explain the $10 increase other than the fact that they're just squeezing as much money as they can out of this?

so much money is being made off these. it sickens me.

Well I've been pricing our putting out a 2xLP so I'll throw out a hypothesis. If they're pressing 1000+ its probably costing them at most $30 for each bundle, but probably around $20. Even if it is $30 a bundle they're making $24 which is still a ridiculous profit on each record. With this and now the whole MTS thing I'm never gonna order from SRC again.

i get that it's overpriced, but i still picked it up. I don't have the LP in any of its variations or variants and i'm actually pretty stoked about a lot of the extra stuff being collected in one place (other than my ipod). I know i'll enjoy listening to it front to back, and i'm also kinda excited to see the gold and silver wax. i don't feel like a sucker for making this purchase, i think it has its place for some collectors or just fans of the band in general.

though, i do wish it was not so pricey.

k records reissued the microphones - the glow pt. 2 a few years back in a 3lp format while the original was a 2lp. the original run was long out of print. the reissue, which is very impressively packaged, retails at $25. http://shop.krecs.com/products/klp190

why is a similarly packaged album being sold at $54.99, over double the price of a similar situation? not to mention this is a whole new run of what was supposed to be a limited RSD release.

i'm thinking over 200% profit on these at least. but hey, people are willing to throw exorbitant amounts of money at anything limited right?

edit: oh and i'm pretty sure the original price of the 3lp deluxe edition of bleed american was $45. so even if for some reason the manufacturing cost of these is through the roof what would explain the $10 increase other than the fact that they're just squeezing as much money as they can out of this?

This is all speculation on my part, so here goes...

1. Major-label albums will almost always cost more than indie-label albums because of the costs buried in them—royalties to the musician(s), the producer(s), the songwriter(s), the A&R rep(s), etc. These deals are significantly more complex than your average indie-label deal, and all that money is built into the price to make sure everyone gets paid for every copy sold.

2. The reason this run of JEW 3xLPs is more expensive than last year's run of JEW 3xLPs is that if I had to guess, SRC isn't actually pressing these themselves—they're just the exclusive retail partner for this pressing. This means the records are pressed by the label and then sold to SRC for re-sale purposes—and the label still has to get paid an exact amount to cover all their royalties and production costs. SRC has to then mark up the title to make sure they can make some sort of profit on it, as well.

I doubt they'd price this record that high unless they had to in order to make enough money to make the whole deal worthwhile. Generally, I think SRC's prices are pretty fair.

This is all speculation on my part, so here goes...

1. Major-label albums will almost always cost more than indie-label albums because of the costs buried in them—royalties to the musician(s), the producer(s), the songwriter(s), the A&R rep(s), etc. These deals are significantly more complex than your average indie-label deal, and all that money is built into the price to make sure everyone gets paid for every copy sold.

2. The reason this run of JEW 3xLPs is more expensive than last year's run of JEW 3xLPs is that if I had to guess, SRC isn't actually pressing these themselves—they're just the exclusive retail partner for this pressing. This means the records are pressed by the label and then sold to SRC for re-sale purposes—and the label still has to get paid an exact amount to cover all their royalties and production costs. SRC has to then mark up the title to make sure they can make some sort of profit on it, as well.

I doubt they'd price this record that high unless they had to in order to make enough money to make the whole deal worthwhile. Generally, I think SRC's prices are pretty fair.

Do you have any insight as to if a single LP is a possibility?