PO: The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet (Ships 5/12)

I will never understand the hate for Octahedron. Not their best record, but definitely not a bad record by any measure.

I won't either. It wasn't their best, but I liked it. I think I am alone in thinking that Bedlam is their worst. Still decent, but maybe it's the change in drums that makes it feel like it's lacking something special to me.

Half way through and it's amazing, except for that awful first song.

This except I like The Whip Hand.

Also:

Sorry for the delay but the The Mars Volta vinyl pre-order will be up next week - we tried but still need one more peice of artwork for the 'special' extra that comes with it.

That's the exact quote. A special extra sounds interesting...

I will never understand the hate for Octahedron. Not their best record, but definitely not a bad record by any measure.

Simple answer but this is my own personal take and it may not apply to all volta fans that dislike the album. It didnt challenge me at all. It honestly bored me extremely early on after it was released as opposed to anything else they have ever released. Shit, I still love their EP and its been out for years and years. I felt that Omar could have easily implemented more of his solo styled experimental stuff into it and I would have liked it way more. But when it comes down to it I would much rather listen to say: un escorpion perfumado in opposition to octahedron. Dont get me wrong I am one of the biggest Mars Volta fans there are. Hell even better I am one of the biggest fans of Cedric and Omar there are, but Octahedron is just a bad album.

And another note: I often hear people defending Octahedron by stating that I simply dont appreciate Mars Voltas soft and peaceful songs and since the band themselves called Octahedron their "acoustic" album I should go into the album with a different approach or perspective then the other albums. I understand this argument but it is a weak one at best. I am all for peaceful or calm Mars Volta songs in fact an amazing one that comes to mind is:"Asilos Magdalena" from Amputechture. That song is so beautiful,well written, well structured and above all memorable. That isnt something that I found anywhere really on Octahedron. And in addition songs like "Cotopaxi" are just outright boring even though ironically that song seems to be an attempt to get the listener excited to make it through the remainder of the listen through the LP. Again this is just my opinion on the album and it is coming from someone that adores mars volta.

I think I am alone in thinking that Bedlam is their worst. Still decent, but maybe it's the change in drums that makes it feel like it's lacking something special to me.

You know what's special about bedlam that I find is often overlooked? The song structure. The song structure on that album is beyond amazing and that is why it is often paralleled with Deloused. Both albums have beyond phenomenal levels of song structure with each part of the song being meticulously crafted for maximum effect and they are also organized in such a beautiful way for more effect. I mean damn have you ever listened to Ouroborous? That song is a mouthful of cotton candy. It seriously only gets better as you listen to it over and over. Also one should acknowledge that Bedlam In Goliath only makes logical sense when considering the band. It seems highly logical to me that they would come out with that album more than any other (with the exception of deloused and frances the mute). I mean what is bedlam but quite simply the evolution of at the drive in and de facto spiced up with some of Omar's solo work. It sounds like madness and that is what they were trying to portray so I find it quite successful in that context alone. I will always stand by their best albums are Bedlam In Goliath, Deloused and Frances.

Listened to about half of Noctourniquet before turning it off. Never been more bored by a Mars Volta album. I definitely feel like this is Octahedron part 2 (especially seeing as most of this album was written soon after Octahedron), and I didn't care for Octahedron. It seems like TMV are trying to write more tradtitional songs but they have no idea how to do it, so they just jam on the same thing for five minutes. If the songs were 1-2 minutes shorter each I would be more into it, or if the songs had more variety. As it stands, I don't like this album: I think the name is dumb, the artwork is amateur, and the music is boring.

I'm not sure why people are saying the first song is so bad and then enjoying the rest of the album, it all seems like the same shit to me. Just my two cents.

p.s. Amputechture is and always will be my favorite TMV album.

I hope the extra is a bonus 7 with either malkin jewel and dyslexicon or its extra tracks

Any bonus 7" that has something more meaningful on it than the ouja shaped one that came with "Bedlam ...". It was conceptually a cool idea and looked awesome at first, but after realizing that there is really nothing but static on it (as far as I remember) it degraded in my eyes to a piece of plastic that tries to look like vinyl. Maybe they just should've made more like a gadget by leaving it slick without punching the whole in the middle. At least put anything remotely resembling music on it...

But I digress...

The extra must be thematically something that has a place in the 70ies kraut & prog universe. I say some printed LSD tabs with a cool pattern...