On 3/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, Sad Heart said:

Anyone have any info on the latest Elephant repress? Not the 2022 one done by Wes Garland, but the United Record Pressing one by Transfermation on VMP. It’s a non VMP record and it’s $45 which is ridiculous considering the 2022 version is $30 on TMR. 
https://www.vinylmeplease.com/products/the-white-stripes-elephant

It’s the same 2022 version on each site. So VMP is just taking a $30 record and selling it for $45. Not shocked at all. But at least I don’t have to buy from VMP and get a new version of Elephant to listen to. 

• 4 weeks later...

On 3/8/2022 at 8:38 PM, Sad Heart said:

It’s the same 2022 version on each site. So VMP is just taking a $30 record and selling it for $45. Not shocked at all. But at least I don’t have to buy from VMP and get a new version of Elephant to listen to. 

Got my 2022 copy of Elephant in and it is the best version of this album.  Eats the represses, the CD, and the digital. Wow. You need to get this. 

I'm not familiar enough to say for sure but maybe they're being tricky with there wordplay and it's the first time the unreleased audio AND the Dopesmoker album are mastered from the original tapes TOGETHER since 10 years ago it was just the regular boring non super deluxe version for the mere peasants but we can now thank the almighty great Lawdd Jack White for blessing us with the full thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Also, to make it very clear! Carl "Mutha Fucking" Saff does not only master from OG tapes but he does it in a masterfully "precise" way.

https://www.earsplitcompound.com/sleep-–-dopesmoker-double-lp-repressing-now-available-through-southern-lord-recordings/

From 2012

This past Spring, Southern Lord Recordings unleashed a deluxe reissue of SLEEP‘s mammoth Dopesmoker LP on which the original studio tapes were completely remastered presenting the legendary album as the band had initially intended. The audio is clearer, louder, and offers up a true representation of SLEEP‘s hour-plus long Weedian chronicle. It even features brand new artwork by longtime SLEEP artist Arik Roper as well as an unreleased live recording of one of the band’s all-time best performances, “Holy Mountain” from San Francisco’s I-Beam in 1994.

Edited by hype

13 minutes ago, hype said:

I'm not familiar enough to say for sure but maybe they're being tricky with there wordplay and it's the first time the unreleased audio AND the Dopesmoker album are mastered from the original tapes TOGETHER since 10 years ago it was just the regular boring non super deluxe version for the mere peasants but we can now thank the almighty great Lawdd Jack White for blessing us with the full thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Also, to make it very clear! Carl "Mutha Fucking" Saff does not only master from OG tapes but he does it in a masterfully "precise" way.

https://www.earsplitcompound.com/sleep-–-dopesmoker-double-lp-repressing-now-available-through-southern-lord-recordings/

From 2012

Nah if you read the whole third man description that point is specifically referring to the 60 minute album. To me the way Southern Lord worded that is far more tricksy.

1 hour ago, Coldplay31169 said:

Nah if you read the whole third man description that point is specifically referring to the 60 minute album. To me the way Southern Lord worded that is far more tricksy.

Not to belabor this too much further, but on third man it says "60+ minute," which should indeed refer to the 63 minute version of the song which is what Southern Lord was putting out as well. It does seem like it needs additional clarification if they're going to make the claim they appear to be making.

It may be talking about the alternate version of part 1 or the "solo" version of part 1 included with this that would be the first time they have been remastered from the original tapes.

14 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Not to belabor this too much further, but on third man it says "60+ minute," which should indeed refer to the 63 minute version of the song which is what Southern Lord was putting out as well. It does seem like it needs additional clarification if they're going to make the claim they appear to be making.

It may be talking about the alternate version of part 1 or the "solo" version of part 1 included with this that would be the first time they have been remastered from the original tapes.

The writeup is really corny but they have a dedicated paragraph for each "feature" and mention specifics about that bonus stuff too entirely separate from the original tapes claim aimed at the original album part of the writeup.

To me that Southern Lord writeup is super fucking weird by comparison. Like, if that's the way the band wanted it on purpose why do they have such a good relationship with Third Man and are now doing it this way? Why did the original need to be louder aka brickwalled? Why did they transfer the entire rights to Third Man which will be evident when the LP comes back to streaming platforms? I wouldn't be surprised if Third Man / Sleep now bought the original tapes with full album rights and Southern Lord couldn't actually get access to them despite licensing the album for vinyl ten years ago. Labels that license something for vinyl rarely have that kind of access and love calling shit remastered when they actually had to start from scratch to master from a digital source.

I dunno, just seems like everywhere I see this mentioned it's just man babies complaining about yet another variant of this. If anything y'all should be annoyed at Southern Lord for the copious small run variants and alternate packaging over and over.

10 hours ago, Coldplay31169 said:

I dunno, just seems like everywhere I see this mentioned it's just man babies complaining about yet another variant of this.

I feel like most people in this thread are just expressing that they don't find it to be a very special release compared to what's already out there, and you're getting way bent out of shape by it. Those who want it will buy it, those who don't will not.

In related news, internet forums remain unchanged since their inception.

6 minutes ago, Sh_tluck said:

I feel like most people in this thread are just expressing that they don't find it to be a very special release compared to what's already out there, and you're getting way bent out of shape by it. Those who want it will buy it, those who don't will not.

In related news, internet forums remain unchanged since their inception.

I said "everywhere" and I'm not getting bent out of shape I just don't type like I'm fluffing someone up my bad. I think Third Man fans might actually be soft shelled crab Jesus christ.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:54 AM, Coldplay31169 said:

The writeup is really corny but they have a dedicated paragraph for each "feature" and mention specifics about that bonus stuff too entirely separate from the original tapes claim aimed at the original album part of the writeup.

To me that Southern Lord writeup is super fucking weird by comparison. Like, if that's the way the band wanted it on purpose why do they have such a good relationship with Third Man and are now doing it this way? Why did the original need to be louder aka brickwalled? Why did they transfer the entire rights to Third Man which will be evident when the LP comes back to streaming platforms? I wouldn't be surprised if Third Man / Sleep now bought the original tapes with full album rights and Southern Lord couldn't actually get access to them despite licensing the album for vinyl ten years ago. Labels that license something for vinyl rarely have that kind of access and love calling shit remastered when they actually had to start from scratch to master from a digital source.

I dunno, just seems like everywhere I see this mentioned it's just man babies complaining about yet another variant of this. If anything y'all should be annoyed at Southern Lord for the copious small run variants and alternate packaging over and over.

I've always been fine with how the 2012 Remaster sounded and but going back to the original southern lord press release it is kind of strange wording now that you mention it but I don't know if it's sneaky word play or what.  They said "the original tapes have been remastered" not "mastered from the original tapes".  I don't know if it's worth making anything out of that but in light of the Third Man claiming this was the first time mastered from the original tapes it makes me wonder.  

3 hours ago, bonedigger said:

I've always been fine with how the 2012 Remaster sounded and but going back to the original southern lord press release it is kind of strange wording now that you mention it but I don't know if it's sneaky word play or what.  They said "the original tapes have been remastered" not "mastered from the original tapes".  I don't know if it's worth making anything out of that but in light of the Third Man claiming this was the first time mastered from the original tapes it makes me wonder.  

Yeah that's how I see it. You don't remaster the tapes themselves ever you create a master from the tapes. And if that isn't acceptable you remaster, again, from the tapes not the tapes themself. The Third Man writeup is totally a jab at them I think by specifically saying the original tapes haven't been used before.

5 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

hahah to each their own @Coldplay31169, i used to love white stripes and certainly dont hate jack white but I get it I guess. I just love me some Sleep and pretty much anything Matt Pike.

Yeah I'm literally here just cuz I like Sleep. Making fun of this pressing is weird no matter what the reason is my main point since it's not a record that's even currently in print. There's just a circle jerk of opinions that have no reason behind them and I couldn't let it go 😅

5 hours ago, jhulud said:

So. I want to jump in for the Vault release for Sleep. But I can't decide if to go with the Quarterly or Annual sub. Any thoughts and/or advice?

Guess it depends on how much you love the White Stripes/JB as out of an annual sub it's almost certain that at least 2 of them will be something from them. Out of 6 packages before Sleep there have been 3 WS, 1 JB plus Bob Dylan & Carole King sets.

With the 2JB lps dropped in quick succession it's a good bet one of the next 3 will be some kind of live set based off the current tour.

Possible that there could be a Prince release based around the Camille LP they've confirmed they will be releasing (although that might just come out outside the vault).