For the many people that question cassette tapes

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755583566/cassette-a-documentary-film-about-the-cassette-tap

cool little trailer that actually has a part where this one guy explains his take that may or may not answer your questions of "why are these still produced?"

I'm sure people will still hate, and possibly smite, but I thought this would be cool to share.

- D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as i've always dug/dig vinyl, cassettes will prob always be my personal favorite of the formats i've had music on. just bc that is what i grew up with. i never warmed all that much to CDs. i didn't ditch tapes and get CDs until pretty late in the game. not that i would bother buying tapes now though.

I have a couple hundred tapes myself from back in the day and they're fun, but they're a largely fallible format compared to vinyl and even CD's which is why I don't understand their continuing popularity - sure they're cheaper but that's mainly why I buy so many 7"s (to try out bands). To each their own.

Love cassettes. Have released one, and we're planning more. I have a ton of 'em, both

recent and old...lots of cool demos from late 80's and through the 90's. Totally the perfect

format for nostalgia, and a nice change from the ususal...especially when they're packaged creatively. Anyway, this film might be cool, might not... but doesn't look like it's gonna get fully backed.

I have a couple hundred tapes myself from back in the day and they're fun, but they're a largely fallible format compared to vinyl and even CD's which is why I don't understand their continuing popularity - sure they're cheaper but that's mainly why I buy so many 7"s (to try out bands). To each their own.

The difference is how much cheaper tapes are for bands to afford. Most bands can't afford to put their demo out on 7", but a small run of cassettes isn't so hard on the wallet.

I love tapes as a medium. I listen to them whenever I drive. I just bought the new Marverlous Darlings tape last night.

I can see the sensibility in that from the stand point of affordability (isn't it literally less than a buck to run off a copy of a cassette?) but the sustainability is what gets me - I can't count the number of times as a kid when I had to deal with tape spaghetti and sound degradation for the ones I would listen to over and over.