Thrice - The Alchemy Index

Who owns The Alchemy Index? My girlfriend recently purchased The Alchemy Index from someone off ebay for our anniversary. She wasn't aware that when the vinyl was released they had to re-press Earth, and didn't double check that it came with the re-press. So now I have the Alchemy Index, but no working Earth vinyl. We messaged the seller back and he said, "That's all the vinyl came with." If any of you purchased this album when it came out, do you recall the extra Earth vinyl coming with the set? Or did you need to contact the site you bought it from and get an extra one sent to you. I really hope I wasn't screwed out of an Earth vinyl, I doubt anyone would sell just the working Earth vinyl apart from the set.

Thanks, John

Well, it's a manufacturer's defect. If he listed it as good condition the one that he sold is in good condition. The earth defect is a locked groove that doesn't affect the "condition" on the product. There's no way of knowing if you have a defect until you listen to it. So if the seller never listened to it and didn't live on these forums they may not have known that the product had a defect.

I have a copy of this and I paid too damn much for it. I want to sell it and make back as much of my stupid $260 as I can.

PM if interested (any and all)

Throw it on eBay. You should get at least $200. I don't think anyone on here is willing to pay $260

Or did you need to contact the site you bought it from and get an extra one sent to you.

This, but it depended on who you ordered it from. Some retailers sent out the first four and left it up to the buyers to get back in touch, others waited until they had the fixed Earth 10" before shipping the package. At this point, I'd try contacting Vagrant or Cobraside. The seller may or may not have known about the problem, but there's no easy way to prove that either way. They may have picked it up somewhere and never played it. Also, if I recall correctly, it's just Moving Mountains that's affected by the scratch.

I have a copy of this and I paid too damn much for it. I want to sell it and make back as much of my stupid $260 as I can.

PM if interested (any and all)

Throw it on eBay. You should get at least $200. I don't think anyone on here is willing to pay $260

I'd rather it go to someone here for less than $260.

Well, it's a manufacturer's defect. If he listed it as good condition the one that he sold is in good condition. The earth defect is a locked groove that doesn't affect the "condition" on the product. There's no way of knowing if you have a defect until you listen to it. So if the seller never listened to it and didn't live on these forums they may not have known that the product had a defect.

Unfortunately this is correct.

Tough luck man, I have seen the odd repressed Earth disc sold separately as others mentioned, but it is hard to come by (you did just miss two auctions, bummer).

My only suggestion is contacting every person on Dead Format and Discogs who lists having the album, and see if they have an extra Earth disc... and put a thread up in the "Sale/Trade/Wants" forum here.

Beg long enough I'm sure you'll snag one, but it could take you months/years. :/

If the copy you purchased didn't come with the replacement Earth disc (they packaged them outside of the box set in order to keep it sealed, so there would be 5 discs, inevitably) you should be able to contact Cobraside to see if they have any extra copies. Many copies went out to distributors before anyone caught the error on that disc, and it happened to me. They shipped my local record store the 5th disc free of charge.

preordered mine from vagrant and after it was found out there was a defect i contacted them and was sent a separate disc a few weeks later. i would contact Cobraside for sure. try Randy, he got back to me really quickly about the Ryan Adams Heartbreaker miss-pressed record and sent me a new spare disc really quickly

[email protected]

I wouldn't file a claim it's not the sellers fault that it didn't come with a replacement

he sold what he had and you received what was pictured and in the description. it's a shit situation and I hate to say this but ultimately since your girlfriend didn't do enough research it's on her.