Shit on bands here

I don't really like ragging on bands since it's all subjective but here's a couple bands I just never got.

Converge - Am I missing something? This sounds awful. Is it supposed to?

Metallica - I hear people rag on the newer stuff but it all sounds like shit to me.

Liking a band but hating their clones - "Yeah man Underoath is awesome but these bands that were obviously inspired by them and sound like a more modern take on them? They're all gay"

The Grammies - I don't think it would be possible to be less relevant to music than the Grammies. If you don't know anything about a genre of music don't act like you do and give awards for it. Find people who do know and let them decide. It makes me sick to think that bands like Between the Buried & Me, Baroness, Kylesa, etc will never EVER be nominated for best metal album while totally irrelevant bands way past their prime are nominated and win every single year. Sum 41 was nominated this year. Seriously. Slayer won the award two years in a row for a song off their dogshit new album and then the following year for a track off the deluxe edition of the same album. Again, if you don't care enough to reward innovation and talent find someone who knows the genre.

The Grammies - I don't think it would be possible to be less relevant to music than the Grammies. If you don't know anything about a genre of music don't act like you do and give awards for it. Find people who do know and let them decide. It makes me sick to think that bands like Between the Buried & Me, Baroness, Kylesa, etc will never EVER be nominated for best metal album while totally irrelevant bands way past their prime are nominated and win every single year. Sum 41 was nominated this year. Seriously. Slayer won the award two years in a row for a song off their dogshit new album and then the following year for a track off the deluxe edition of the same album. Again, if you don't care enough to reward innovation and talent find someone who knows the genre.

Totally agree. i would extend this to all awards shows. Celebrities getting dressed up to celebrate themselves and their peers seems really self-indulgent and pointless. i don't care if an album or movie wins an award. Their relevance and usefulness is waning if not completely gone.

Few things make me happier than early Metallica. But they are a bunch of doucheclowns, so there's that.

I cannot get into NoFX save for a few songs, and I really feel like I should like them. But when I want to listen to late 80's/early 90's California punk bands, I will choose Bad Religion over them 10 out of 10 times.

Few things make me happier than early Metallica. But they are a bunch of doucheclowns, so there's that.

I cannot get into NoFX save for a few songs, and I really feel like I should like them. But when I want to listen to late 80's/early 90's California punk bands, I will choose Bad Religion over them 10 out of 10 times.

I'm bored by both Bad Religion and NOFX. All sounds like the same shit to me.

I'm bored by both Bad Religion and NOFX. All sounds like the same shit to me.

I dug both back in the day....now I can choke down a few of either or their records, but all sound sooo fucking similar it's just disgusting....I'm not saying every band should change their sound completely ect. ect. ect. buuuut, and obviously they enjoy it, so I'm not gonna say quit putting out records (especially if people are still asking for it and wanting it)....but yeah, i dunno, lost my train of thought....only a few albums by both bands I can dig

as far as Converge...you either dig it or don't, just like anything other band, I'm sure you have a band you're really into that some of your friends are like "What The Fuck Are You Listening To Dude?"

Converge was waaaay too aggressive for me at first, but the more I dug into it the more I enjoyed their records, especially once Kurt started getting into their production, just really dig his production style

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':jjkb1q7s]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':jjkb1q7s]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

I'd also really like to add Animal Collective to seemingly endless list of bands I fucking don't understand how they have a god damned following

Nah, Animal Collective are pretty legit. They're weird and a bit hard to listen to at first, but if you can get past that they reveal themselves to be a super fun band with amazing melodies.

This song puts a huge smile on my face every time.

I don't understand how people are still MxPx fans. I liked them when I was 13, then I moved on to better, catchier pop punk with better lyrics.

To each their own man....give me MxPx's worst album on repeat all day long over any of the Animal Collective albums I've had the misfortune of sitting through (Sung Tongs, Strawberry Jam, and Merriweather Post Pavilion)....and yes, I gave them all several listens, against my first reaction...I mean, I get that they're being creative....I understand that, I just can't get into it, every time they put a new record out my friends are all "oh man, this is way better, way easier to get into"....fuuuuuuuuuuck, seriously, any MxPx album over that shit....preferably something a bit better than MxPx, but I'd totally throw down on MxPx's over Animal Collective any day....and again, To Each Their Own, you can keep your Animal Collective all to yourself

edit: The most positive thing I can say about Animal Collective is, I'd totally rather listen to Animal Collective on repeat all day than listen to a single Nickleback song one time....that's as positive as I can be about them

I enjoy a good number of hipster bullshit bands (including more or less every one mentioned in this thread), but the one band I've never found any redeeming qualities in is Dirty Projectors. All the overwrought wankiness of jam bands condensed into 4 minute songs with a singer heavily influenced by the stylings of this guy:
homsar-3421.jpg

Birdwell is officially the funniest dude on the boards.

somehow completely missed this comment whenever it was posted....but I couldn't possibly agree less with you....again, to each their own. I'm just laying out what I find to be truthful and attempting to not be a dick about it...which apparently often-time fails miserably.

The Wonder Years really need to dump their fucking singer and lyrics. Lucky Charms and soymilk. Incredibly high pitched squeals. Really? Fucking Terrible

Fireworks is another terrible band. Never got the hype for them.

Man Overboard is an insult to anyone's eardrums. Easily the worst band in the pop-punk revival now.

i've just never understood the makeup on dude's thing....i mean, if you're dressing in drag, by all means, knock yourself out with it....but just for shit's and giggles as an everyday look, don't get it. Maybe on stage for shock value or something along those lines, but kids just wearing make-up for funsies, i just don't get

Generally it's a lame and empty gesture when there is a lack of substance in the music. BUT let's not forget the New York Dolls who all wore draggy makeup, were given shit for it, and yet still kicked so much ass.

The Wonder Years really need to dump their fucking singer and lyrics. Lucky Charms and soymilk. Incredibly high pitched squeals. Really? Fucking Terrible

Fireworks is another terrible band. Never got the hype for them.

Man Overboard is an insult to anyone's eardrums. Easily the worst band in the pop-punk revival now.

As long as we're talking about pop-punk, let's talk about Screeching Weasel, and how I don't understand what people see in them. Maybe I'm too young for them, but I whenever I listen to SC because I think I should, I end up getting 10 minutes through and turning it off.

And we all know that the best pop-punk band is Sum 41, I don't know why anyone would listen to anything but those fucking LEGENDS.

I thought Crash Love was a solid record. Not my favorite but certainly far from being horrible. Its amazing how many people claim to hate this record.

People claim to hate this record because they hate this record. It is such a drastic change from Answer That and Very Proud. It is like asking a fan of Sick of it All why they don't like the new Maroon 5 album.

i've just never understood the makeup on dude's thing....i mean, if you're dressing in drag, by all means, knock yourself out with it....but just for shit's and giggles as an everyday look, don't get it. Maybe on stage for shock value or something along those lines, but kids just wearing make-up for funsies, i just don't get

Generally it's a lame and empty gesture when there is a lack of substance in the music. BUT let's not forget the New York Dolls who all wore draggy makeup, were given shit for it, and yet still kicked so much ass.

that's also subjective....don't dig New York Dolls either....

Also, honestly, The Wonder Years is the only pop-punk band that's pre-1999 that I can get into, not really sure what it is, maybe it just sounds exactly like the stuff I used to listen to in High-School and less like....newer Rancid, newer Green Day, newer Blink-182...i dunno, but again, subjective...to each their own

honestly never listened to Crash Love...Sing The Sorrow was an ending point for A.F.I. and me....i really really really enjoyed The Art of Drowning ...jus...done.

but seriously though, Electric 6??? again, what do people dig about that?

that's also subjective....don't dig New York Dolls either....

Also, honestly, The Wonder Years is the only pop-punk band that's pre-1999 that I can get into, not really sure what it is, maybe it just sounds exactly like the stuff I used to listen to in High-School and less like....newer Rancid, newer Green Day, newer Blink-182...i dunno, but again, subjective...to each their own

honestly never listened to Crash Love...Sing The Sorrow was an ending point for A.F.I. and me....i really really really enjoyed The Art of Drowning ...jus...done.

but seriously though, Electric 6??? again, what do people dig about that?

Electric Six is hilarious and also good songs. They toned down the absurdity past their first album. It's throwback music; I don't see how Electric Six is any different (in terms of style and image) from, say, Chromeo. Not that different in terms of music either, both bands are dumb and fun dance rock.