Shit on bands here

This is a band that was formed when I was in high school and one of my friends was in it. He isn't anymore.

This was the first music video they made a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZPAKadvYc

I don't really like the song myself. But they're going for this poppy/ska sound which is at least a little interesting. The singer is kind of a douche. I went camping once with a bunch of my friends and we had a fire going and he showed up from some other campsite with sandals, ripped up jeans, and an acoustic guitar, not kidding.

They have changed band members quite a bit since. And the singer posted a picture of a mountain of money on facebook with the comment being "this is why i make music"

Now this is their most recent music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61a9InQWTYE

I didn't really like them in the first place. But at least it seemed like they weren't being the MOST generic lame ass band in the world. But I think that's changed.

Oh and since that music video I guess they've got a new drummer.

It's probably a dick move for me to be bashing someone following their dreams. But...I just.... I fucking hate them. Oh and I've been neighbours with the singer for the last 8 months. So I get to hear them practice this song over and over again. That might be helping this.

Against Me!

Namely Laura Jane Grace.  For starters their new album is complete horse shit.  It's a horrible album.  The band is a shell of what it used to be.  The whole thing between her/him/it and Arcade Fire has just fueled my fire for distaste of her and her band.  The world gets it, you're transgendered.  Good for you, so are a lot of other people in the world.  You wrote an album about it, good.  Let it be.  Stop trying to be the voice for all transgendered people.

A couple of weeks ago she was ranting about some people she overheard talking at a restaurant in Michigan on twitter.  They were talking about guns and shooting things/people/whatever.  She went on a rant about how they were rednecks and all this and that.  I responded to a tweet calling her out on her bullshit.  They have every right to their opinion, no matter what you think.  Yes it might not be the most progressive of opinions, but it's an opinion and they have their right to it.  She continued to shit on the people of the great state of Michigan.  I ended up calling her a hypocrite and recalled a story of her slamming a coffee house employees head into a counter due to a less than favorable review of Against Me! that was hanging in the coffee shop.  She then tried to pick a fight with me, that ended with her saying "Come at me, bitch".  Real good role model you stupid bitch.  Your new music sucks and releasing new music under the name Against Me! is a joke.

I am pretty sure I remember reading something on punknews about him sleeping with a drunk chick and her claiming it wasn't consensual. I believe he apologized and was never prosecuted.

Like his music, but don't see the guy as a leader or someone to look up to.

Who?

I hate Against Me! too but please fucking stop misgendering her. Even when she went under the name "Tom Gabel" she was still a woman. Do not call her "him" and certainly do not call her "it." What they fuck is your problem? You hurt people by doing that. People commit suicide over that. Yes the new album sucks (but not as bad as New Wave or White/ Black Crosses), and yes she is a jerk, but misgendering her is absolutely not okay. You don't just hurt her, but all trans people when you misgender them, especially intentionally. 

This is a band that was formed when I was in high school and one of my friends was in it. He isn't anymore.

This was the first music video they made a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZPAKadvYc

I don't really like the song myself. But they're going for this poppy/ska sound which is at least a little interesting. The singer is kind of a douche. I went camping once with a bunch of my friends and we had a fire going and he showed up from some other campsite with sandals, ripped up jeans, and an acoustic guitar, not kidding.

They have changed band members quite a bit since. And the singer posted a picture of a mountain of money on facebook with the comment being "this is why i make music"

Now this is their most recent music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61a9InQWTYE

I didn't really like them in the first place. But at least it seemed like they weren't being the MOST generic lame ass band in the world. But I think that's changed.

Oh and since that music video I guess they've got a new drummer.

It's probably a dick move for me to be bashing someone following their dreams. But...I just.... I fucking hate them. Oh and I've been neighbours with the singer for the last 8 months. So I get to hear them practice this song over and over again. That might be helping this.

gone by daylight.

local band, and our circles of friends have had a tendency to overlap for about a decade now. and i've just never been able to escape their rubbish.

I hate Against Me! too but please fucking stop misgendering her. Even when she went under the name "Tom Gabel" she was still a woman. Do not call her "him" and certainly do not call her "it." What they fuck is your problem? You hurt people by doing that. People commit suicide over that. Yes the new album sucks (but not as bad as New Wave or White/ Black Crosses), and yes she is a jerk, but misgendering her is absolutely not okay. You don't just hurt her, but all trans people when you misgender them, especially intentionally.

It's hard to say "her" when you are talking about sexual abuse of another woman via your penis.

Damn I wish I could find that article. I'm positive I read it. It's impossible to find anything online on her that isn't about the sex change anymore.

What the fuck are you talking about????? A woman can wear a strap on and sexually force herself onto another woman too.  Sexual parts and gender have nothing to do with each other.   Please don't misgender and please don't try to defend your misgendering.

The whole thing between her and Arcade Fire has just fueled my fire for distaste of her and her band.  The world gets it, you're transgendered.  Good for you, so are a lot of other people in the world.  You wrote an album about it, good.  Let it be.  Stop trying to be the voice for all transgendered people.

I hadn't heard of this so I looked up the tweets, and it was fairly recent.

She tweeted:

"Dear @arcadefire, maybe when making a video for a song called 'We Exist' you should get an actual 'trans' actor instead of Spider-Man?"

followed by:

@BEYONDTHENEXT @arcadefire @AndrewGarfeild it inaccurately plays on and perpetuates stereotypes

These tweets fired your distaste for her? She was one of MANY people who called him out, and she was barely, if at all, rude about it.  IIRC there was a huge discussion about this in another thread ( if someone can find, can you please post? )

also, you said this "Stop trying to be the voice for all transgendered people." Why????  Who should be the voice then?  a white cis male who has never felt oppressed?