Shit on bands here

Journey was never good, but it is garbage that they were resurrected as arena rock a few years ago (if resurrected not the right word, their amount of plays definitely increased a lot).

No such thing as south Detroit. It's called Windsor, Ontario.

I'm thoroughly glad that I'm not the only person from the Detroit area that HATES that goddamn song. I cringe every time it is played, and people scream "born and raised in South Detroit."

No way, man. "D'yer Mak'er" is a great one. "The Crunge" for me is just garbage - might be because I don't like James Brown. It's apparently a tribute to him. 

The Crunge is to funk what D'yer Maker is to reggae. I love James Brown's music but it's a poor imitation of hard funk. D'yer Maker is just shitty reggae imo

fitz and the tantrums. absolute fucking garbage. female singer actually has a voice, and the male lead singer disgustingly overcompensates trying to match. and cannot.

six pages of arguing, go!

I'm not sure why you're bringing this back up, but if you are still completely ignorant to what the point of it all was, let me try to explain. It is not cool to invade someone's space. If someone's fine with it, then good for them, but if you're not, there's no reason you have to be forced into that situation. Culture values aside, it's still uncool that people can feel entitled to assume that it's alright to kiss someone else without their consent. If a strange man came up to you and decided to kiss you, I'm sure you wouldn't be okay with it. Unfortunately, it's mostly women who have to deal with that kind of stuff. 

Also:

Shut-up-02.gif

can't stand street punk, with the liberty spikes and being crusty and all that shit, its just cliche in 2014. its not unique/fighting the system/anarcho/whatever anymore, its just obnoxious and the music (with exceptions) is just fuckin bad, namely the casualties (who fuckin tour in a massive giant expensive tour bus). street punk had its place in the 70s/80s/90s, but new street punk bands are terrible and old bands who are still touring are just ridiculous

Every chump band pretty much falls into the same category for me. I need music to be honest, and everything else is garbage.

These chumps can usually then be sorted into 1 of 2 subcategories, often times falling into both, making them ultra-chumps.

Haircut bands / image bands - pretty much self explanatory. Having an 'image' doesn't necessarily mean a band is bad, but what I am referring to is bands who only care about 'making it' so on the spectrum of Art vs. Entertainment, they lie 100% to the entertainment side. (Completely art bands can be shit too, but they at least get credit if they are being honest.) Synthesis or Art & Entertainment is usually a good position to be in and where many successful (both musically, and career-wise) bands seem to sit.

TV Commercial / 1 hit single bands - if your band sounds like the entire purpose of getting together was to write this 1 song to make it into a commercial or to have 1 'hit' single played to death, you suck... again 100% entertainment, 0% art ZERO honesty. Some bands agree to have their stuff put in a commercial, like Hum, and I guess you can't fault that. I'm talking when a band's recognition originates from selling a product. FAKE.

|ART|====================================================================|ENTERTAINMENT|
                                                                              ^   -------------------------------->>>> SHIT

So basically the further you go right from center, the more likely the band is utter shite.

There are tons crappy 'art' bands too, but those are usually the ones who are trying way too hard.

Bands can be focused on technical facility, or more songwriting-oriented, that doesn't really matter, although a good synthesis of those, too, is ideal.

Well, full disclosure, I love avant-garde type stuff. Love music that pushes boundaries/tries to evolve the musical paradigm. I also like really well crafted pop songs. Stuff that pays homage to tradition. That's why I say as long as it's genuine, I don't really care what the style is.

But to try to answer the question. It depends. I'd have to go on a case-by-case basis. Also somewhat depends what kind of mood I'm in.  I like some noise-influenced bands, but too far towards art with no entertainment at all is sometimes utter shite as well. Those type of acts tend to devolve into a parody of themselves and disappear up their own buttholes.

But the thing about being on the art side, is that even if you suck, that doesn't really matter... that's kind of the whole point of being one of those types of bands. There's just less pressure to be 'good' because the goal is not to be liked. So that's why I say even if those bands are 'bad' they still get a pass if they are honest. As long as its not some slap-dash thing or copy-cat act, I won't say they 'suck' but that doesn't mean I will ever listen to it, or be a fan of it.

I'm thoroughly glad that I'm not the only person from the Detroit area that HATES that goddamn song. I cringe every time it is played, and people scream "born and raised in South Detroit."

There are cities called "Detroit" in like 8 other states besides Michigan. Not saying Journey was referencing one of those other cities but I always wondered that.