Shit on bands here

I agree. I dig heavy music, but Deafheaven doesn't strike me as original, or particularly exceptional at what they do. The combination of harshish screaming vocals and twinkly guitars makes me think more of "pop-metal" than "black-gaze," it's my thing, but if you like it, great.

I listened to the album on the way home from work today and this is basically how I feel about it. I just don't think the BM vocals work very well when the music is what it is. I didn't find anything about the music to be particularly inspired and more and more I think the attention the band gets is solely from them coupling harsh distorted repetitive rhythms with BM shrieks. I can dig black metal because of the whole presentation, but when the vocal style is stuck in the middle of something for the sake of it, it turns pretty silly. I know black metal is silly in itself but as I said, there's a whole shtick to it. Coupling those kinds of vocals with any other kind of music is great as an experiment, but this seems to be an experiment that didn't yield particularly interesting results imo. 

Jesus Christ, stop defending bands in the shit on bands thread. That is what this place is for.

Jesus Christ, who cares?  Oh wait.

Who cares?

Except y'all act like someone killed your kid when someone shits on a band you like. You are in a thread directed solely to shit on bands. No one wants to read about you hating Deafheaven in a Deafheaven thread so you have this thread to get away with it without all the fanboys coming in and getting hurt that someone doesnt like there vocals so they must hate all aggressive music.

I know your response is directed at me, but I'm not really sure which of my posts you're reading.  Because the last thing I'm here to do is change anyone's mind on the band.  Furthermore, you have a really warped sense of urgency if you think my "argument" is as exaggerated as me losing a firstborn.  I'm genuinely not "hurt" that more than a few people hate Deafheaven's vocals.  No, really.  I mean that.

Jacobraccuia nailed it.  This thread would be weak as fuck if everyone just posted;

"I hate Bruno Mars."

"Dude, Bruno Mars blows.  But he's no Three Doors Down."

"Yeah man.  But they're not as bad as Train."

"Nickelback are the worst.  Canadian butt rock lol."

That's boring as shit.  To me, anyway.  When everyone is civil and can actually defend why a band doesn't work for them, I enjoy the thread (and respect the posts) a lot more.  Both Savage and caninesapien bring up fair points on why Deafheaven isn't their cup of tea, and they did so without shitting on anyone's tastes or being pricks.  And what's more is that I enjoyed reading their responses and putting myself in their shoes, as far as that band goes.

And it goes both ways.  I loathe Maroon 5.  I hate Adam Levine's squirrely vocals and cheesy lyrics, and I think they have super corny grooves with little to no instrumental variation.  Anyone who posts an essay in this thread to convince me otherwise is a little foolish, and probably wasting their time... but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to reading counter arguments.  So long as they're courteous and well written, I say bring them on.  I find them interesting and beneficial to the thread.  I'd like to think I'm open-minded enough that I'm cool with reading opinions that aren't of my own.

I still stand by the statement that the majority of Deafheaven "haters" probably can't stomach Converge, either.  There will be a few exceptions, but I'm speaking of the majority.  Please prove me wrong.

Also, unwad your panties and chill out a bit.  If the thread is bothering you that much, move on or revisit it after you've cooled your jets.

I still stand by the statement that the majority of Deafheaven "haters" probably can't stomach Converge, either.  There will be a few exceptions, but I'm speaking of the majority.  Please prove me wrong.

I've only heard some of Jane Doe once or twice a few years ago and I did like it BUT I can see how I could get sick of it if I listened to it a lot. Just to clarify I don't really have any problem with the performance of the vocals in Deafheaven, it's just that it's incongruous with the music, which I don't really enjoy. I love harsh vocals so that's never really an issue for me unless they're really really extreme. 

I've only heard some of Jane Doe once or twice a few years ago and I did like it BUT I can see how I could get sick of it if I listened to it a lot. Just to clarify I don't really have any problem with the performance of the vocals in Deafheaven, it's just that it's incongruous with the music, which I don't really enjoy. I love harsh vocals so that's never really an issue for me unless they're really really extreme. 

I think that's some of the appeal of Deafheaven though, it mixes their shoegazey sound with harsh vocals, kind of like death grips pushing the envelope with his aggressive rap over very noise-influenced project, that's my opinion though, and people who jump in the thread just to tell us how the flow of this thread should work can fuck off, that's some weak elementary teacher thinking.

I just can't get into Blink-182 no matter how hard I try. They don't grab me when I can go find 10 other pop-punk bands in the same vein. Also, all these shitcore bands that keep popping up with people in my age group. No. Just NO.

I don't think blink is pulling in too many new fans these days.  If you weren't into them growing up, I think chances are slim that you'll listen to them for the first time, being an adult, and dig their stuff.  It's all nostalgia.  

Also, the scene wasn't over saturated with hundreds of cliche pop punk bands in 1996, so you couldn't really "go find 10 other pop-punk bands in the same vein".

Just curious, how old are you?

I don't think blink is pulling in too many new fans these days. If you weren't into them growing up, I think chances are slim that you'll listen to them for the first time, being an adult, and dig their stuff. It's all nostalgia.

Also, the scene wasn't over saturated with hundreds of cliche pop punk bands in 1996, so you couldn't really "go find 10 other pop-punk bands in the same vein".

Just curious, how old are you?

Screeching weasel

The queers

Mr t experience

Vandals

Green day

Descendents

The offspring

Rancid

Diesel Boy

And almost any other fat wreck band (NOFX, lagwagon, less than jake, nerf herder, etc...)

Screeching weasel

The queers

Mr t experience

Vandals

Green day

Descendents

The offspring

Rancid

Diesel Boy

And almost any other fat wreck band (NOFX, lagwagon, less than jake, nerf herder, etc...)

That's not the same thing though, none of them sound exactly like the other unlike today where you can literally find 10 bands that are not easily discernible from one another.

That's not the same thing though, none of them sound exactly like the other unlike today where you can literally find 10 bands that are not easily discernible from one another.

I wasn't really comparing these bands (which I love) to today's "pop-punk" (which I don't). I was just trying to list 10 "comparable" bands to blink in the mid-90s.

Screeching weasel

The queers

Mr t experience

Vandals

Green day

Descendents

The offspring

Rancid

Diesel Boy

I knew this was coming.  I would disagree on most of these sounding similar (to an extent) to blink, especially post Dude Ranch.  I do see that I wrote 1996, which would have been Buddha/Cheshire Cat days though.  

I used to really dig Converge as a younger dude, haven't listened to them much in the last few years, but I could definitely listen through Jane Doe or Petitioning the Empty Sky now that you've brought them up. Good lookin out!

Only electronic bands I ever dug were, like, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Autechre, and The Algorithm.  There's probably some others, but that's just off the top of my head.  I like a few 'hybrid' bands, like Genghis Tron, I collected all their releases.  Never got super-duper heavy into any of the more straight up electronic bands really though.  I bought The Algorithm's Polymorphic Code on CD. Partially cause it was not a bad price and I usually feel weird buying just 1 thing online when you can save on shipping, and it's gotta be packaged and sent here.  Just seems like such a waste to not get at least 2 albums from 1 place at a time.  It's a dope album though.  All those bands are pretty left-field as far as electronic goes.  The only 'normal' electronic band I can think of that I could stand wave Wave Racer, that shit's actually pretty dece.

Any band who uses the following genre tags:

- 'experimental'

- 'minimalist'

- 'noise'

as an excuse to sound like utter garbage.  That's not a comparison to the Butch Vig band.

There are great bands who are actually experimental and/or minimalist and/or noise, so quit frontin'.

One of those tags or all of them at once?

But yes, 'minimalist' kinda gives away that's just going to be artsy bullshit.

One of those tags or all of them at once?

But yes, 'minimalist' kinda gives away that's just going to be artsy bullshit.

Could be just 1, or any combination. All 3 would nearly be a dead giveaway. Which is a shame, cause it almost discredits the real good bands that are out there.  If you hear the kind of crap I'm thinking of, it can kind of turn you off from wanting to check out other stuff that actually really impressive and different from the norm.  But you tend to just write it off before giving it a chance, after hearing a load of crap.

Experimental in particular is often misused.  Any band who's a little left-of-center tends to use the experimental tag.  Most of which are much, much closer to 'rock' than 'experimental'.

I just love these band who want to be edgy by being all 'were not just some rock band, we're experimental/minimalist/noise' and then they're awful. Like, just objectively bad. I mean, I like a lot of different stuff, but I'd rather listen to some straight up rock/pop bullshit than some of this stuff people are attempting to pass off as 'music'. And that comes from someone who has pretty out-there tastes, in terms of what I listen to/buy/support, and what I like to play.

It's like 'well we didn't put any time into learning how to play or how music actually works, so lets just appeal to people who want to be hipster and haven't developed their own taste by calling ourselves 'noise'.  It's like it has become a disclaimer of sorts. Like, 'sorry, but we're noise.'

I want to tell these bands NO, you don't get an automatic pass. There are actually legit good noise bands out there.

Any band who uses the following genre tags:

- 'experimental'

- 'minimalist'

- 'noise'

as an excuse to sound like utter garbage.  That's not a comparison to the Butch Vig band.

There are great bands who are actually experimental and/or minimalist and/or noise, so quit frontin'.

That's a pretty all-encompassing viewpoint. So you have a problem with experimental/minimalist/noise bands that just use the genre tags, as opposed to those bands not using those genre tags?

EDIT: Or did you mean just actually shitty bands that use these terms? If so, examples please cos I hate that shit too.

Any band that has whistles or 'woahhhh oh oh''s in their choruses really piss me off. Neon Trees etc etc

neon trees is one of those bands that doesn't get under my skin the way that it probably should.

That's a pretty all-encompassing viewpoint. So you have a problem with experimental/minimalist/noise bands that just use the genre tags, as opposed to those bands not using those genre tags?

EDIT: Or did you mean just actually shitty bands that use these terms? If so, examples please cos I hate that shit too.

Definitely the bolded. (See the next post I made above yours for more detailed explanation on that.)

As for examples... hm, I dunno if I even want to tread into that territory.  This is shit on bands but the bands I'm thinking aren't even worthy of being shit upon ahahahaha.

Basically any band that straight up sucks ass and just goes - well lets just call ourselves 'noise' and then no one can call us out for being no good at all.

Using certain genre tags as a scapegoat for being awful, was what I was getting at, in a nutshell, I suppose.

Like, you can't really get away with that kind of thing with, like, jazz fusion, for example. Cuz ppl who know what jazz fusion is will go 'but you sound nothing like jazz fusion.'

But if you say your band is 'noise' or 'experimental' or 'minimalist', then maybe you can fool a couple of fake-nerd hipster-douche tryhards, and your parents/relatives will go 'oh, okay. If you say so, then I guess you must be, because I really have no clue.'

It's a bit weird with "noise" in particular, especially considering there's "noise rock" which is miles away from the actual genre "noise". I see what you mean though, even if I haven't encountered it in particular. I think sometimes "experimental" is tagged on to bands that obviously listened to Sonic Youth a lot.