the "White Whale Found" thread

So I'm sitting at home chilling out and munching on some candy corn. (Shits bomb) So anyway I get the feeling I need to go to my record store. A top serious G-d telling me "GO TO CHAD'S NOW" feeling. So I'm looking around. Found a rad Girls Against Boys I've been thinking about for awhile. Then I start looking through this stack of shit thats been there for awhile and hasn't be priced and moved.

I find Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon on black.

Fucking cold sweats and shakes hit me like a brick. I offer him 50 for it right off the bat and then feel bad and tell him to look up the prices and see what he wants to get for it. Dude sees that it goes for 100 + and says "fuck it, you're a loyal customer you can have it for 50." I feel guilty. I fucking can't do it to this guy, he's a great dude and even though he can overprice and undergrad stuff sometimes I love the dude and he's awesome. So I offer to trade him my Bright Eyes boxset for it. Dude says rad, I say rad and now I fucking own one of my white whales. G-d wanted me to have this record.

Now all I need is Jane Doe and Deja and my life will be pretty fine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i finally found a copy of Massive Attack - Mezzanine the other day which is definately one of mine.

On a related note, apparently one of my friends bands used to share a space with some of the dudes who put out the BN - YFW 12"... he said there was cases of the record in their practice space... damn

really the best feeling as far as records are concerned. $50 to me is still a hefty price tag to me for this record and yes i understand its "worth" and what not, i even have a copy on blue myself. id be curious what the dude would have priced the lp at had you not come in. sometimes i think sites like ebay/popsike have more of an adverse effect on buyers rather than a positive one. ive heard stories from friends where they found this record they really wanted for cheap and when they approached the counter to buy it the dude tells them to hold for a minute so he can check the going rate for it according to ebay and then proceeds to jack up the price.

either way you got what you wanted so kudos to you.

i hate stores that don't have things prices in the racks, it makes shopping such a bitch.

That's exactly how it was with the copy of Mellon Collie (see the Pumpkins thread) that I was at my local store. It had no price sticker and inside a glass counter with other records. I had to ask the guy how much it was going for.

What got me though was the other records that were in the counter along with it:

Minus The Bear - Planet (can't recall which color)

Pelican - Pink Mammoth

Metallica - some uber-large and rare vinyl set according to the guy.

I didn't ask the prices on these but I am hoping that the store wasn't inflating the prices the Minus and Pelican...that's just plain fucked if they are...

The only white whale I have acquired thus far is Modest Mouse's "The Moon and Antartica". I snagged it for around $60 or so on eBay (still sealed). I have yet to find any white whales in any actual record stores. Some white whales I am looking for (which I really do not have the cash for right now) are:

Smashing Pumpkins - MCIS

Wilco - Summer Teeth

Wilco - Being There (180gram import press)

Modest Mouse - Building Nothing out of Something

Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Buffalo Tom - Sleepy Eyed

Buffalo Tom - Smitten

Bill Janovitz - Lonesome Billy

that really pisses me off, that record stores actually use popsike and ebay to price records now

that just defeats the whole purpose of people physically going to a store to try and find a great deal

no wonder they are all going out of business

In this guys defense, the record was in a box of stuff that hadn't been priced yet, not on the racks.

I just got my white whale in the mail today- Jane Doe on brown. I'm pretty stoked. thanks Patrick!

Not a problem.

I have yet to see a copy of my white whale........and very few people have it to trade, or, are willing to trade it.

Texas is the Reason on white.....been looking for it for 8 years now.

Guest falloutcollapse

i don't know if this qualifies as a white whale, but i found my favorite album of the year, gallows-orchestra of wolves on vinyl at an english website. it's in the process of being shipped. i'm super excited!

I just got my white whale in the mail today- Jane Doe on brown. I'm pretty stoked. thanks Patrick!

Not a problem.

I have yet to see a copy of my white whale........and very few people have it to trade, or, are willing to trade it.

Texas is the Reason on white.....been looking for it for 8 years now.

Wanna know what kills me? My brother had that album on LP on white back in the day and sold it to the local record store I worked at, and even though I admired it many times, I never dropped the $6.99 it was going for. Agh!