What's your best find?

I found 6 new copies of the Modest Mouse live bootleg a couple years ago. At the time it was selling for around $200, and the copies I found were $10 each. I didn't buy all of them, and the copies I did buy I sold on here and to friends for a fantastic price. The only copy I got market price for was my personal copy that I sold years later. I also got a new copy of Good News For People That Love Bad News for $5 a couple years ago when it was selling for about $70. I've found countless $20-$50 records in dollar bins over the years. I had a great score in Philly a few years ago where I found a bunch of 90s second wave emo stuff for $30 that was worth about $200 or so.

coupla months back I got a copy of 16 hp secret south on alternative tentacles for $15 new from my local shop. And while not a find I got MWY brother, sister 1st press for $18 ppd on ebay 3 months ago, I was the only bid, while tards were paying twice that for a later pressing that was still in print.

found the Inception score for like $15 last year, and was super stoked cause I didnt even know it was pressed, and I love that soundtrack. When I got home, I looked it up and it was going for $150 on ebay, so I decided to sell it, because Id rather have like 10-15 other records I want than just 1 really valuable one that I honestly wouldn't have listened to much. that's the only one I can think of. Oh, and my friend got me a copy of the /500 tour press on gold of Brand New-Devil and God are Raging Inside Me a few months ago, cause he saw them 2 nights in a row and picked up one for him the first night, and me the 2nd, so that was cool to get that for $20 when less rare copies of it were going on here for like 100, and its one of my fave albums.

You didn't find anything though when something pops up in your discogs wantlist or ebay search. Discogs or ebay found it for you.

A find is something you come across when digging thru thousands of records at a store or shop. Usually not something you were looking for in particular.

I disagree. I don't have any automatic message saying that this is here or that is here. Finding something really rare and at a good price on the net involves daily visits to multiple vinyl related websites. Some are sales based, some are forum based, but the hours spent online trying to find something are just as real as if I went to several B&M stores.

I disagree. I don't have any automatic message saying that this is here or that is here. Finding something really rare and at a good price on the net involves daily visits to multiple vinyl related websites. Some are sales based, some are forum based, but the hours spent online trying to find something are just as real as if I went to several B&M stores.

I get automatic messages from discogs every day letting me know when something on my wantlist has been listed for sale. You could set up the same thing with ebay saved searches.

I've gotten tons of good deals online, but it's not the same as picking something in person and not nearly as exciting.

kurtz is right on.

My best find probably means something to like 5 people here. Really Red - "new strings for old puppets" for 25cents at a garage sale. Totally out of context, as everything else in the box was the usual fare from Herb Alpert and Carole King.

Don't talk shit about Herb Alpert.

Fair enough... I picked up Sun Kil Moon's "Ghosts Of The Great Highway" years ago, when it was already OOP (but not the crazy price it is now) for $10.

Call me old school, but I think there's just as much value in picking up something BEFORE it goes OOP and prices go sky-high... as there is in stumbling across something rare that's been under-priced...

Too many to list, but recently:

Medeski Martin and Wood - Songs From Shack Man promo 12" for $free.99 cuz the cat at the local shop hooks me up like that sometimes. I also got The 59 Sound LP on black for free from the same store so I flipped my blue copy. 8-)

Smalltown - The Music LP for like $4...I doubt it is valuable or anything, I just like the band and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.