Am I being a dick or is this acceptable?

$60 record off of Ebay ($50 + $10 shipping). The seller's description listed both the vinyl and sleeve to be in MINT condition. The packaging was outstanding and upon quick inspection the sleeve and record did appear to be in MINT condition. It didn't even have the standard scuff marks from paper sleeves. When I flipped the record over to the B-side this is what I saw. The scratches do effect playback, but as you can see by the picture, it only effects playback on the first track. I really don't want to force a full refund because I'd like to keep the record, but I certainly wouldn't have paid what I did in this condition. I'd like half off the original price. Is that fair? How much do you think these scratched devalue the record? Or am I just being a pain in the ass because everything else about the sleeve and vinyl is in Mint to NM condition.

[image]

anything about the way it was packaged, that this could have happened during shipping?

it sounds kinda stupid but maybe that corner got pushed in and out of the jacket a lot during transit?

The packaging was the best I'd ever seen. They correctly shipped the record outside the sleeve and it was so secure that I highly doubt any damage was caused by shipping. Even if it was damaged in transit Ebay policy still dictates that the responsibility is on the seller.

What record is it???

I intentionally left the label out for the purpose of getting a non-biased opinion on the forum. What I paid for it was the going rate. I didn't get any sort of great deal nor did I overpay.

Is %50 off too little, because the more I think about it the less I'm willing to pay? Even with 50% off it's still a $30 record that has audible scratches!?!

I would send it back and put your money into a new mint copy. You aren't being a dick. If it effects a full track then it's pretty worthless honestly. As advised, being polite is always the way since 99% of these matters are an inadvertent mistake.

I recently bought an LP I've wanted for years and based on the sellers grading it should have a worn cover but no scratches in the vinyl. It had a deep scratch that made tracks 1 and 2 pop and skip. I got a full refund no questions asked when I sent a photo.

Good Luck.

Return it and buy another one for the same price? It's not like you got a good deal if you bought this for the going rate.

Even if you get $25 off of it, is it worth playing for a damaged that claimed to be in mint condition?

This 100%.

If it doesn't play perfectly, what's telling you to hold onto it? And as stated before, since you paid the going rate for it, it shouldn't be hard to find one at the same, if not better, price.

I would be pissed if someone called it mint and it came like that, I also would be hesitant to believe that any opened (or unopened) record is actually mint. He could argue that everyone has different standards and he doesnt use Goldmine's but there is no arguing that something that effects playback is anywhere near mint to begin with. Be civil about it, and I would ask for a full refund and offer to return the item so he knows you arent just trying to scam him. Spend the money on another copy of the record since you paid around going price for it.

Even if it was damaged in transit Ebay policy still dictates that the responsibility is on the seller.

but the bad karma is on anyone who would blame the seller. To justify immoral action because ebay policy says it is ok, is not ok. This situation is different and the seller should agree, but send him photos like the one posted here. Your not being a dick and the seller probably just missed the damage in a quick assessment.

50% seems like a lot if you ask me, and we are talking about some surface noise right? no skips?

Correct, just some surface noise on 1 track so that's why I might be inclined to keep it for the right price. I did send him an e-mail this past Thursday (which he hasn't responded to) and I was very nice about it. Simply informed him of the problem (included a picture) and asked if we could work something out.