Sketchiness from Virgil Dickerson / Suburban Home?

Guess what? Ruiner didn't pay for those test presses. Virgil did. He can do whatever the fuck he likes with them, even if he said in an email that he'd send some to the band along with their retail copies. I doubt they had an ironclad contract for this release.

Dude's most likely using whatever little money he got from selling a test press from two broken-up, semi-obscure bands to help pay down his bills with labels/distributors. You know, the people he actually owes real money to.

i agree. fuck ruiner in ther stupid non ironclad contract having asses.

lol.

holy shit, scott you are so fucking stupid. you are the only one who can get me sucked into a thread enough to post haha.

I'm so happy you decided to weigh in on the topic! Your insight was essential into creating a better understanding of the issue. Please, keep posting; you're doing a great job!

Not trying to minimize anyone's losses (financial or otherwise), but to the dude from Ruiner: Was this really necessary? The guy got you the actual records he owed you (you know, the ones you could potentially sell and make money off of). It's not like he stiffed you on actual product; he just didn't get you what more or less amounts to a souvenir of the record. I hate to tell you to get over it, but, yeah: Get over it. It's a test press of a split 7-inch where you covered an Oasis song. This is not your legacy. Your great-grandchildren will not care about this. This does not define you.
I'm so happy you decided to weigh in on the topic! Your insight was essential into creating a better understanding of the issue. Please, keep posting; you're doing a great job!

Hey Ruiner ... not trying to minimize your loss, but eat shit because Virgil owes more important people money. Also, you're broken up and semi-obscure, but just to reiterate, I'm not trying to minimize you.

Seriously though, I have zero problem with this dude's post. He obviously isn't familiar with the situation or a regular visitor to VC. Homeboy was simply exhausting his options in trying to get some resolution / insight. Post every damn day and beat a dead horse for all I care cause you know what - these threads are endlessly entertaining in a horrible, Virgil-created-a-giant-dumpster-fire-and-a-lot-of-people-got-burned sort of way.

Not trying to minimize anyone's losses (financial or otherwise), but to the dude from Ruiner: Was this really necessary? The guy got you the actual records he owed you (you know, the ones you could potentially sell and make money off of). It's not like he stiffed you on actual product; he just didn't get you what more or less amounts to a souvenir of the record. I hate to tell you to get over it, but, yeah: Get over it. It's a test press of a split 7-inch where you covered an Oasis song. This is not your legacy. Your great-grandchildren will not care about this. This does not define you.

Read the bolded part, now read the rest of quoted users comment.

Don't know who you are Scott, and don't care, but keeping your word means something to some of us. Obviously not to you. It's a coward move to dodge people you've made promises to, or have blatantly ripped off.

Alright guys, I was just trying to get some info (shake the bushes and see what runs out) and I got that (I've been emailed two phone numbers that are different from the one we had for him before). I usually don't frequent this board other than the Sales / Trades section so I had not been aware of the ongoing problem. He had been relatively responsive to us (I realize everyone has lives) the two years and a half years between recording that cover and the record coming out. It was just recently that he wouldn't response. Thanks for the help, sympathy, or constructive criticism from everyone.

I'm glad Scott's not my lawyer.

You want more insight? Fine, but please don't send me anymore vaguely threatening PMs.

As usual, you are wrong on many different levels:

1. You think are smarter than you are.

2. You have issues with logical thought and end up firing in all directions, many times with thoughts that are non-responsive.

3. You are a constant Virgil apologist.

4. Dude was not looking for advice about a lawsuit, so your comment about an "iron-clad contract" was not relevant to the situation.

5. Virgil is a dick here, contract or no.

6. Although the law on contracts differs from state to state, there are some pretty uniform rules on what equals a contract. Being "iron clad" is not one of them. Contract require an offer, acceptance and consideration from both parties.

In other words, Virgil offers X number of records and test presses in exchange for the right to release a song. Assuming the email about the test presses was sent prior to the song being sent in, then it is part of the offer. Sending the song in (performance) = acceptance. Consideration from Virgil to the band is X number of records and the test presses. Consideration from the band to Virgil is the song, and allowing Virgil to press copies and sell them.

That means that there was a contract under the law.

Whether or not the contract was breached is another story (how long does Virgil have to perform (i.e. send the test press to the band?) But you didn't talk about breach at all, only about the contract itself existing.

The advantage to having a clearly written contract signed by both parties is that it is easier to prove a breach, but that is not a requirement for a valid contract.

Guess what? Ruiner didn't pay for those test presses. Virgil did. He can do whatever the fuck he likes with them, even if he said in an email that he'd send some to the band along with their retail copies. I doubt they had an ironclad contract for this release.

Dude's most likely using whatever little money he got from selling a test press from two broken-up, semi-obscure bands to help pay down his bills with labels/distributors. You know, the people he actually owes real money to.

I wish that he would've started selling off test presses two years ago to buy a new computer in order to respond to one of my emails. Dude owed me a drop in the bucket compared to most labels on here...could've paid me off with just a few obscure bands' "souvenirs"

Just out of curiosity Scott, were you not one of the "team leaders" way back when? was wondering what that entailed.

not trying to start shit with you. but if you're going to be a Virgil apologist. you can at least throw that in to the mix, as i'm sure you probably aren't out 60 dollars like a good deal of us.