If you think Media Mail is slow now...

the problem is that i got a message from my friend last week, saying this summer theyll be hiring more people for his position.. carrying mail.. which starts at $22/h.

dont get me wrong, im absolutely going to try to get that job. but no one deserves $22/h for walking around peoples neighborhoods.

the problem is that i got a message from my friend last week, saying this summer theyll be hiring more people for his position.. carrying mail.. which starts at $22/h.

dont get me wrong, im absolutely going to try to get that job. but no one deserves $22/h for walking around peoples neighborhoods.

Dang, that would rule.

i was under the impression it was extremely difficult to get a job at the USPS, even when the economy was good (ie. a waiting list of people). im assuming said waiting list existed because lots of other people wanted to walk around neighborhoods too for $22/hr.

It is. It's tough to get into UPS/FedEx delivery too. Same reason.

It is a broken system that needs fixing. If there are other companies that offer the same services and are making a profit there is obviously something wrong. It's affiliation with the government probably its biggest problem.

This is an absolute falsehood. The only problem the post office has right now is that, thanks to a Republican Congress vote in December 2006, they are required to pay $5 billion annually in pre-payments toward retiree health benefits for 75 years into the future. It was an intentional act of sabotage to kill the post office. And it's working because no one does any research. It's insane and it's an easy problem to fix.

It's a horrible job full of danger and it provides a necessary service for the country. It's worth $22 an hour.

i was under the impression it was extremely difficult to get a job at the USPS, even when the economy was good (ie. a waiting list of people). im assuming said waiting list existed because lots of other people wanted to walk around neighborhoods too for $22/hr.

I play poker at my local FOE on Tuesday nights. I'm an Eagles member now. Lots of them are mailmen or retired mailmen. Said mailmen are (more often than not) overweight. Isn't that peculiar?

It is a broken system that needs fixing. If there are other companies that offer the same services and are making a profit there is obviously something wrong. It's affiliation with the government probably its biggest problem.

This is an absolute falsehood. The only problem the post office has right now is that, thanks to a Republican Congress vote in December 2006, they are required to pay $5 billion annually in pre-payments toward retiree health benefits for 75 years into the future. It was an intentional act of sabotage to kill the post office. And it's working because no one does any research. It's insane and it's an easy problem to fix.

Isn't that so their pensions won't go under funded? You know like how the rest of the pensions are underfunded because they don't have such measures in place.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/five-things/the-u-s-postal-service/11433/

This says 10 years.

They are closing the one here in Akron down. It was supposed to be in the Spring, but they pushed it back to an unknown date. Everything will have to be routed through Cleveland now, so it could take an extra day or two for stuff coming and going from here.

I play poker at my local FOE on Tuesday nights. I'm an Eagles member now. Lots of them are mailmen or retired mailmen. Said mailmen are (more often than not) overweight. Isn't that peculiar?

odd statement. my friend is skinny as a rail and is a foot mailman.

i think most retirees are probably miserable from a lifetime of working at the post office. the term "disgruntled" has always pointed to being a postal worker. most are binge drinkers and healthy eaters, i'm sure.

i used to deliver Amazon crap to post offices for years when i worked at Airborne and DHL, most postal workers are a little overweight and heavy smokers it seems. hell, most people in the delivery business seem to be this way.

FexEx and UPS aren't hard to get into, but you pretty much always start out as a part time package handler working 3rd shift. you have to work your way up to delivery driver. it's rare you get a full time starting job as a driver, and it's usually a temp job you'll get laid off from.

the internetz killed the postal service. online bill pay was the greatest invention ever. i feel bad, so i always mail my packages through the USPS. plus working at DHL, i don't want to imagine how wrecked all my records would get being shipped through an overnight or ground major delivery company. i've seen some seriously under protected packages get destroyed in the system.

Isn't that so their pensions won't go under funded? You know like how the rest of the pensions are underfunded because they don't have such measures in place.

Nope. You can fund pensions without paying 5.5 billion a year forward on them. This is paying billions a year for pensions in the future, with money they don't have. Other pension programs are currently underfunded because A) they were put into unsafe investments B) because funds were taken out of the pensions to pay for other things C) people weren't paying enough into their pensions in the first place or funds weren't matched.

As for your link, I'm happy to see they lowered it to ten from the original 75. I don't have time to double check if that's true or not but I tend to trust PBS. It's still an insane and unfair liability to add to a nonprofit entity that has been razed of funding and taken massive cuts in staffing. It's not necessary and it's an active action to kill one of great institutions of this country.

Nope. You can fund pensions without paying 5.5 billion a year forward on them. This is paying billions a year for pensions in the future, with money they don't have. Other pension programs are currently underfunded because A) they were put into unsafe investments B) because funds were taken out of the pensions to pay for other things C) people weren't paying enough into their pensions in the first place or funds weren't matched.

As for your link, I'm happy to see they lowered it to ten from the original 75. I don't have time to double check if that's true or not but I tend to trust PBS. It's still an insane and unfair liability to add to a nonprofit entity that has been razed of funding and taken massive cuts in staffing. It's not necessary and it's an active action to kill one of great institutions of this country.

Just doing the math from the one article:

It says they have overpaid the pension by $7 billion to date. If they paid 5.5 billion a year for the last four years that is $22 billion in pre-payment to the pension. That means they still needed to pre-pay 15 billion just to be even. So while their payment probably should be 5.5 billion a year it needs to be at least 3.75.