Fool's Gold Comp 7" info? (Alkaline Trio related)

So about a year ago I saw this on ebay for a BIN but it was like $40 bucks and there was no way I was buying it for that much, but had the title of the comp in my saved searches. Anyways a few weeks ago a copy shows up and I win it for a sweet 3.99. What was even nicer was that it was on yellow/orange vinyl.

My question is does anyone have any info on this? I don't remember if the copy that was on ebay a year ago was on colored vinyl or black vinyl. Anyone know if it was only pressed on the orange/yellow color or was the colored vinyl limited. Any information besides that it came out on Banter Records (same label that did the Slapstick/Tommyrot split) and came out in '93 woudl help.

Also if anyone is curious the bands are Flowers, Tommyrot, Slugbug, and Groovy Lovevibes

[image]

this is a GREAT find at any price. for $4 you got a fucking steal.

flowers is/was Dan Andriano's very first band when he was like 14 years old. his brother was in it, along with a couple of their high school friends.

slugbug (if i'm not mistaken) is/was Chris McCaughan's first band.

groovy love vibes were a local band who also appeared on a split 7" with the smoking popes.

tommyrot, as you mentioned, also appeared on a split 7" with slapstick.

i've only ever seen 2 other copies of this record (both of them reside in my collection), and both of them are also on yellow vinyl. fool's gold = "gold" vinyl, i'm guessing is what they were going with there.

no word on pressing info, but i'd guess 500 at the absolute most. 250 is a more realistic guess, but i wouldn't be shocked if there were only 100 originally. i just left the pressing info blank on my own list. i'll try to get in touch with somebody who might know the pressing info of the slapstick/tommyrot split and get back to you if he knows. i would imagine they were pressed in the same amount as this record, considering they were done so closely together and by the same label.

either way, great find, dude.

This once again proves that there are, like, only two dozen people responsible for all good Chicago punk ever.

What a scene that was in the mid to late 90's. My first show was Slapstick, Skankin' Pickle, LTJ and The Eccletics. Broadways are easily my favorite of all Chicago punk though. It's a shame they broke up so early.

• 1 year later...

Rob Kellenberger gave me a CD after a Colossal show in 2005 when they played with Mike Park and Alkaline Trio. It has 2 "experimental" drum machine songs Rob recorded along with a few Tommyrot tracks and a bunch of Flowers tracks. No song titles. I can post a link if anyone is interested in listening and/or helping me with song titles. Audio quality is pretty poor but not sure if it's due to the original recording quality or a combination of that and the bitrate of the MP3s that were burned to the CD or all of the above and the bitrate at which I ripped it way back in 2005.

Rob Kellenberger gave me a CD after a Colossal show in 2005 when they played with Mike Park and Alkaline Trio. It has 2 "experimental" drum machine songs Rob recorded along with a few Tommyrot tracks and a bunch of Flowers tracks. No song titles. I can post a link if anyone is interested in listening and/or helping me with song titles. Audio quality is pretty poor but not sure if it's due to the original recording quality or a combination of that and the bitrate of the MP3s that were burned to the CD or all of the above and the bitrate at which I ripped it way back in 2005.

Ummmm....yes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...