Sleep - "Dopesmoker", Deluxe Reissue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Apparently there's another black repress. Not sure if it's a total of 3000 of this exact pressing or black altogether having been pressed on 180g black. I would've gone with the latter just to be safe but their store explicitly says

Black vinyl limited to 3000 copies.

so.... 3000 is nuts.

A quick look at Discogs would reveal to you all the details. Going off the crazy numbers on there, there might just be about 10,000 copies or even more copies of it that exist on planet Earth this very moment.

Yeah, it's just staggering how big of a pressing it is. Pressing bulk is supposedly cheaper to do as well but still. Southern Lord do it big. It's just difficult to imagine there being +10K Dopesmoker listeners out there in the world. That's a scary number haha. Of course there's those that need to have every variant but even considering, that three thousand strong heap should still last for a while.

Yeah, it's just staggering how big of a pressing it is. Pressing bulk is supposedly cheaper to do as well but still. Southern Lord do it big. It's just difficult to imagine there being +10K Dopesmoker listeners out there in the world. That's a scary number haha. Of course there's those that need to have every variant but even considering, that three thousand strong heap should still last for a while.

This album is huge. I can't go anywhere in Portland without at least one person mentioning my Dopesmoker sweatshirt.

This album is huge. I can't go anywhere in Portland without at least one person mentioning my Dopesmoker sweatshirt.

Hah, that's pretty awesome. The Northwest seems to be pretty big on doom and sludge as a whole.

So bummed that Sleep's merch store ran out of the Dragonaut shirt that they reprinted recently. I can never get enough of those groovy riffs

http://sleep.merchtable.com/

It's all well and good that they're keeping this album in print. I'm all for it. But what about Holy Mountain...? amirite?

And yes, Holy Mountain definitely needs to be reprinted. I reckon if Southern Lord had the rights to it, it would already exist. But then again I can't imagine a small label like Easy Rider having more finance to back up buying the rights to it, before the lord could. Not sure whether there is a cost difference in whether the repress is a cassette or vinyl release but maybe it's an issue of the guys at SL simply not being interested in re-releasing Holy Mountain

Can't even wrap my head around the fact that there will be a new Sleep album out soon though.

If I'm not mistaken, Southern Lord directed facebook users to Sleep's merch table when asked about a possible Holy Mountain repress. They made it look like the band itself managed to make copies available at gigs and that was last year or around the time Doepsmoker was getting its second ou third repress by SL.

Apparently there's another black repress. Not sure if it's a total of 3000 of this exact pressing or black altogether having been pressed on 180g black. I would've gone with the latter just to be safe but their store explicitly says

so.... 3000 is nuts.

A quick look at Discogs would reveal to you all the details. Going off the crazy numbers on there, there might just be about 10,000 copies or even more copies of it that exist on planet Earth this very moment.

I have the first press on black and it was limited to 1,000 copies.

Mr Cisneros himself let it slip in an interview but if I recall correctly, I've seen some updates on FB about how they're jamming some new riffs or even recording in the studio. The latter I'm not 100% on but they're definitely writing new Sleep material.

Here's just one source

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/sleep-are-working-on-a-new-record

Am I the only one that's not excited by the prospect of new Sleep material? I've seen them live three times since the 2009 reunion and the first one was incredble - the others were decidedly lacklustre. I know you can't predict new material based off a live performance but I'm just a bit worried it'll be way under par.