Sleep - "Dopesmoker", Deluxe Reissue

Cost from Southern Lord (w/o shipping) has been anywhere from $26 - $35 since I purchased my first in '15. Newbury is always more expensive but I think the vinyl looks tits along with the holographic cover... I just don't know if I really need to drop another $40+ for yet another repress of Dopesmoker. But I probably will... 219 copies still available :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Surrural said:

Cost from Southern Lord (w/o shipping) has been anywhere from $26 - $35 since I purchased my first in '15. Newbury is always more expensive but I think the vinyl looks tits along with the holographic cover... I just don't know if I really need to drop another $40+ for yet another repress of Dopesmoker. But I probably will... 219 copies still available :ph34r:

Cmon heavy weight double lps should cost $9 TOPS, shipping should be free, and all records should include a personal apology from the label AND band for how long it took to arrive on the sparkling marble castle steps of whoever ordered it.

:rolleyes:

this new newberry variant is cool, I’d probably grab it if I hadn’t already scooped that orange sand/blue sky one they did last year. Holo cover is neat though. Price is right in line with I’d expect, it’s not super awesome but I’m not gonna throw on my PC shades about it. My collection would be pitiful if I refused to buy albums over standard markup.

Now $60 for the tour variant of the sciences right off the merch table? Or totally unrelated but $60 for that Norma Jean boxset which is literally the packaging of the original standard issue lp plus a see through piece of parchment with some lyrics and a black folder with a feather in it minus the sturdy gatefold jacket that came with the original? Fuck THAT noise.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

22 hours ago, Jim Steele said:

Do Sleep records ever sell for normal prices? And I actually dig the color!

I'd say $25 and change is about the maximum justifiable cost for a 2xLP of the caliber that this pressing is and you can find copies of this for that price all over on a few different currently "in print" color variants. $40 is just taking advantage of poor suckers who are addicted to product exclusivity.

Edited by mcpherson123

Let's not overthink this. First, it's $40 we're talking about. A cheap round of golf. A tank of gas. 2 IMAX movie tix. No debates (snarky or otherwise) needed... it's stocking stuffer fun $$$. Second, if someone wants to collect 'em all more power to 'em. Christ, you only live once and there's plenty of daily 'accideals' to make up for any margins if you're an Excel kinda guy.... ;)

Edited by Surrural

11 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'd say $25 and change is about the maximum justifiable cost for a 2xLP of the caliber that this pressing is and you can find copies of this for that price all over on a few different currently "in print" color variants. $40 is just taking advantage of poor suckers who are addicted to product exclusivity.

I agree it shouldn’t be more than $25-30. Then again, with the Sleep craze we’ve seen this year.. The green/black split of The Sciences? $50 I think. Tour edition of The Sciences? Same thing. Not to mention what that single song Leagues Beneath is fetching on discogs (plus I saw stores sell it for €30 as well, a one-song, one-side record in a flimsy cover). 

Considering the fact I couldn’t order the silver/green or hazy green variants anywhere in Europe, and Newbury offers reasonable shipping, I’m OK with this price (as an exception, obviously don’t have the funds to pay this much for every record I get). 

5 hours ago, Surrural said:

Let's not overthink this. First, it's $40 we're talking about. A cheap round of golf. A tank of gas. 2 IMAX movie tix. No debates (snarky or otherwise) needed... it's stocking stuffer fun $$$. Second, if someone wants to collect 'em all more power to 'em. Christ, you only live once and there's plenty of daily 'accideals' to make up for any margins if you're an Excel kinda guy.... ;)

Nothing is being over-thought. Newbury is a straight up player who licenses popular record titles to have exclusive color variants made only to be sold at nearly double the cost of most other in print editions because their edition is "limited" and "exclusive" and the suckers lap it up. People are free to be taken in by it but when you consider that music purchasers generally aim to have a larger quantity of records at their disposal than rounds of golf, tanks of gas or IMAX movie experiences it stands to reason that if a product can be and is sold at a reasonable price, then selling the same essential product with an extra baked in level of exclusivity or scarcity just to pander to a certain gullible demographic is particularly reprehensible and also thereby your analogy does not land. Not the end of the world. Just a greedy and ugly way to take advantage of those affected by a very particular type of product hype. You vote with your wallet. Keep buying overpriced shit and the shit you want will keep going up in price. I'm one of those crazies who would rather their physical music format be further to the affordable side.

Plus, I'm not exactly sitting on a mountain of money  and would like each of my dollars to go as far as they can. I would also never play golf. Ever.

I have yet to spend a $.10 with Newbury. But, again, we're talking $40, so regardless of where the analogy may land, it's not much in the grand scheme of things when it's a once or twice (or thrice) a year splurge. But hey, you pick & choose your battles (and votes) so have at it. 

As far as golf, I used to think the same, but the history of golf architecture turned the worm and now I'm a junkie. It's a good life ;)

Edited by Surrural

I pretty much swore off Newbury when they "found" copies of their Nirvana Bleach pressings well after they were sold out and were selling them for prices that were higher than the discogs flippers. The only thing I have bought from them since that was the Pearl Jam Live LP (and i got lucky to get a color copy of that somehow).

As for Sleep, I'm not sure if i blame the band or if it is more SL/TMR? Then again i think my first run pressing of the Clarity on green vinyl bought direct from Aquarius records was still like $20 for 1 song and no packaging. So it's probably the band.

5 minutes ago, fish said:

I pretty much swore off Newbury when they "found" copies of their Nirvana Bleach pressings well after they were sold out and were selling them for prices that were higher than the discogs flippers. The only thing I have bought from them since that was the Pearl Jam Live LP (and i got lucky to get a color copy of that somehow).

As for Sleep, I'm not sure if i blame the band or if it is more SL/TMR? Then again i think my first run pressing of the Clarity on green vinyl bought direct from Aquarius records was still like $20 for 1 song and no packaging. So it's probably the band.

LSD and weed aint free, son.

Nah but the TMR prices are out of hand.

I give newberry a pass cause every record I've grabbed from them has been stellar quality and they don't go overboard with the colors like some labels do (Relapse...)

That and they do pressings of albums that have long been out of print on occasion... I was more than happy to spend $30 shipped for their repress of Ire Works instead of an easy $70+ on discogs.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell