Sleep - "Dopesmoker", Deluxe Reissue

I don't get blaming a company or band for trying to make money. Nobody is forcing you to buy something. Let the people that enjoy buying this stuff do it if that's what they're into.

As far as Newbury, yes they're generally overpriced but usually their stuff retains or increases in value if that's what you're into. But, more importantly, as a previous poster mentioned the pressings are generally excellent. Plus they have sales constantly so it's really not so bad if you don't mind waiting.

7 hours ago, Surrural said:

I have yet to spend a $.10 with Newbury. But, again, we're talking $40, so regardless of where the analogy may land, it's not much in the grand scheme of things when it's a once or twice (or thrice) a year splurge. But hey, you pick & choose your battles (and votes) so have at it. 

As far as golf, I used to think the same, but the history of golf architecture turned the worm and now I'm a junkie. It's a good life ;)

For some people $40 is much in the grand scheme of things. Especially when you know that the same fundamental item can be and has been made available at an agreeable price. That is my point. The arbitrary over-exploding of a price point for such a trivial detail is transparently scummy. No one has to agree with me. I'm just saying its a fool's game and Newbury are exploiting the fuck out of it.

Also, I reject the existence of golf from societal, social, socioeconomic and environmental perspectives. Its a vile, awful waste of natural space and I want it to die.

If $40 IS much for someone.....maybe instead of buying the 5th variant of this record they should put that towards their credit card bill.

Beyond that they should sell it for whatever they want and fuck off with complaining about scummy exploitation.  This isn't medication that is being marked up and people are dying this is a record that cost $40 instead of $25 and blarg......get over it.  #Whitepeopleproblems

1 hour ago, stl_ben said:

If $40 IS much for someone.....maybe instead of buying the 5th variant of this record they should put that towards their credit card bill.

Beyond that they should sell it for whatever they want and fuck off with complaining about scummy exploitation.  This isn't medication that is being marked up and people are dying this is a record that cost $40 instead of $25 and blarg......get over it.  #Whitepeopleproblems

Relax. Just because it isn't fundamental to life, doesn't mean I can't critique the business practices surrounding the sale of it. I know its not medication (nor a credit card balance) and I never implied that it was in any way similar. In fact I completely rejected the comparison of record pricing to any other type of entertainment product but especially something as fundamentally necessary as fuel for your means of transportation. I merely pointed out that it is a lot by today's standards with direct comparisons to a nearly identical product of the exact same format and if people keep buying up the specialized versions of products at ridiculous prices they will encourage those who produce or sell said products to keep inflating the prices even on the regular non-specialized basic editions. I think that is a valid concern.

This is a vinyl message board. I'm limiting my critique to vinyl prices. I'm also not advocating that anyone buy more than one copy of any record. I guess you could say that I'm attempting to be persuasive against anyone buying Newbury Comics exclusives because their prices, in my contention, are an insult. I don't think that's a serious transgression. And still, I'm not even aggressively dictating to anyone that they must not buy those editions. I'm simply providing a voice of dissent for my own venting and for anyone who wishes to engage in the conversation. My concern is that it would be nice if engaging in the practice of consuming products like vinyl records could remain somewhat affordable to me. And of course I'm using my own measure of affordability to make that case admittedly. If the cost of production actually justifies such a spike in the retail price of the product then maybe that just means that I get priced out of participating in the consumerism of a product that is important to me and that is something that obviously concerns me. I hope that its clear that I enjoy accumulating and listening to vinyl records. Here I am on a discussion forum dedicated to records talking about that and all the aforementioned issues surrounding it. Also, if this topic and my position on it aggravates you that much, you luckily have the liberty of ignoring it. If you want to debate it, I'm clearly happy to.

PS Fuck golf still.

Edited by mcpherson123

When I buy a Newbury variant, I know I'm splurging and I rationalize my buying decision on that basis. Tbh, it was the same with VMP considering the Canadian shipping overages plus the fact that they absolutely refused to give me any credits whatsoever for purchases or sponsoring another new user.

6 hours ago, stl_ben said:

holy fuck you are so incredibly unlikeable

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

5 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Relax. Just because it isn't fundamental to life, doesn't mean I can't critique the business practices surrounding the sale of it. I know its not medication (nor a credit card balance) and I never implied that it was in any way similar. In fact I completely rejected the comparison of record pricing to any other type of entertainment product but especially something as fundamentally necessary as fuel for your means of transportation. I merely pointed out that it is a lot by today's standards with direct comparisons to a nearly identical product of the exact same format and if people keep buying up the specialized versions of products at ridiculous prices they will encourage those who produce or sell said products to keep inflating the prices even on the regular non-specialized basic editions. I think that is a valid concern.

This is a vinyl message board. I'm limiting my critique to vinyl prices. I'm also not advocating that anyone buy more than one copy of any record. I guess you could say that I'm attempting to be persuasive against anyone buying Newbury Comics exclusives because their prices, in my contention, are an insult. I don't think that's a serious transgression. And still, I'm not even aggressively dictating to anyone that they must not buy those editions. I'm simply providing a voice of dissent for my own venting and for anyone who wishes to engage in the conversation. My concern is that it would be nice if engaging in the practice of consuming products like vinyl records could remain somewhat affordable to me. And of course I'm using my own measure of affordability to make that case admittedly. If the cost of production actually justifies such a spike in the retail price of the product then maybe that just means that I get priced out of participating in the consumerism of a product that is important to me and that is something that obviously concerns me. I hope that its clear that I enjoy accumulating and listening to vinyl records. Here I am on a discussion forum dedicated to records talking about that and all the aforementioned issues surrounding it. Also, if this topic and my position on it aggravates you that much, you luckily have the liberty of ignoring it. If you want to debate it, I'm clearly happy to.

PS Fuck golf still.

Is it hard to breathe all the way up there on that high horse?

The Holo cover on the retail version is $36 at bull moose so it is a little unfair to trash Newbury over the price or compare it to the standard black.  

Also so as Buzz Osborne says not everything is for everybody.

If you don’t want to pay $40 for a record then is just not for you, don’t worry about it

Edited by apirk

2 hours ago, Surrural said:

Vile, gross, wasteful. I can see you're a fan of hyperbole. Whatever. If $40 hurts, get a new hobby.

There is nothing hyperbolic about those words nor the context in which I used them. I avoid paying high prices for new production vinyl so as to not encourage such pricing in the future. $40 is too much for any gatefold 2xLP that doesn't come with a blowjob. (hint: none of them come with blowjobs). The way that I know that its too much is because there are more examples of gatefold 2xLPs that are in the $20-$26 than there are in the $40. Major labels not withstanding. Those fuckers are just out of their minds for the most part.

2 hours ago, apirk said:

The Holo cover on the retail version is $36 at bull moose so it is a little unfair to trash Newbury over the price or compare it to the standard black.  

Also so as Buzz Osborne says not everything is for everybody.

If you don’t want to pay $40 for a record then is just not for you, don’t worry about it

Look if there is something essential to my collection that is rare from the 90's and is completely out of print or if the pressing from that era is definitely superior to any repress, I'm gonna splurge on the out of print old one in a number of instances. But I talk shit when a store buys the licensing to have an exclusive variant of a popular record and explodes the price on the merit of exclusive color alone. Its transparently greedy and pathetic. So I talk shit. It doesn't mean I have to just choose not to buy it and forever hold my peace. I'm just talking about it. I do worry about it. The bullmoose price is awful too. Its just not as awful as the Newbury and bullmoose didn't go out of their way to bring that variant into fruition just to overcharge for it. There is a difference but either way I'm not a fan of either price and of course I won't buy it. That's obvious. I don't even want it but I call out shitty practices sometimes. 

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

Yeah I’m I think people need to maybe smoke some dope and be happier...

Pike-smoke.jpg

Shiiit, I dropped out of life with bong in hand hours ago, but I got lost and ended up in McPherson’s land of black vinyl only and unwarranted superiority.  it’s all weird in here and everyone has a neckbeard.

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

11 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Shiiit, I dropped out of life with bong in hand hours ago, but I got lost and ended up in McPherson’s land of black vinyl only and unwarranted superiority.  it’s all weird in here and everyone has a neckbeard.

Where are you getting superiority from? I shave my neck meticulously. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
4 hours ago, djghost1976 said:

New 'mystery color' available on their Bandcamp:

https://sleepsl.bandcamp.com/album/dopesmoker

Picked up a copy last night, I guess Southern Lord found some deadstock from previous pressings.

Interesting to note, all SL Dopesmoker stuff is getting discontinued after Feb 21. Looks like their 10-year license is going to expire, wonder if the rights are going to transfer to Third Man?

• 1 month later...