The Avalanches - Since I Left You Reissue

47 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

Did an A/B comparison a few seconds at a time and heard like 3 or 4 re-recorded vocal samples, but I would never have noticed otherwise. They did a super good job matching the timbres of the voices.

Honestly, if you noticed a difference, you are a huge nerd. Sorry if this offends

If you did an A/B comparison a few seconds at a time, then, honestly, you're a HUGE nerd.  Sorry if that offends.  ;-)

...and YES, the original sounds totally different.

Edited by OriolesMagic

My copy arrived today and I was very disappointed with it. I wasn't expecting a 180g press but I was expecting a bit more than this. It's probably the thinest record I own. I'm not sure if it's because of this or some other reason to do with the pressing but the surface noise on it is very noticeable and nearly unbearable.

I kinda wish I never bought it and waited out for a better repress as this seems very hastily thrown together.

Someone on Reddit said this. What are everyone else's experiences? I haven't gotten one yet.

10 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You guys are breaking my heart.  I was going to dismiss DOMAN's quote with classic "lol Rebbit" logic, but hearing a VC regular confirm it as well is really disheartening.

I was hoping so too :/ I'll probably wait until enough people complain about it and they fix it, if that happens. If not, idk if it's worth owning.

I just picked up my copy today from my local in Australia and playing through it now. There are definitely points with some fairly minimal noise, but otherwise it's a pretty sound pressing in my view. I wouldn't let bad reviews like that put you off buying it!

EDIT: Just now noticing that all of the noise seems to be during the track transitions. Even during the more quiet sections (such as 'Tonight May Have to Last Me') background noise is entirely absent on my copy. There is a substantial amount during some of the transitions however :(

Edited by musig

On July 28, 2016 at 9:14 PM, musig said:

Just now noticing that all of the noise seems to be during the track transitions. Even during the more quiet sections (such as 'Tonight May Have to Last Me') background noise is entirely absent on my copy. There is a substantial amount during some of the transitions however :(

Like when the tracks themselves play into the next?  That's really weird.  I don't know too much about how records are mastered and pressed, but having noise limited to transitions, exclusively, seems like it could be a mixing / mastering error.  Part of me doubts they used new plates for this press, though, so I really don't know what to think.

Noisy transitions aside, how are the samples?  Are they vastly different from the standard copy most folks have?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2016 at 6:42 PM, Derek™ said:

Like when the tracks themselves play into the next?  That's really weird.

I can confirm. I just picked this up at Reckless in Chicago and although the well known samples are back in it (i.e. Frontier Psychiatrist), the transitions between tracks are a bit static-y. I cleaned the record and double checked my stylus to make sure. Solid pressing otherwise. 

• 2 months later...

Earlier this year, the Avalanches returned with their first new album in 16 years, Wildflower. Now, they’ve announced the reissue of their seminal debut album, 2000’s Since I Left You, on vinyl. The reissue is out January 27 via Astralwerks. It will be available on standard black vinyl and a limited edition of 5,000 colored vinyl, which is exclusive to independent record stores. Before the release of the reissue, fans can vote on the color (either red, blue, clear, or gold) they’d like to see the limited edition vinyl pressed on, and pledge the local record store they want the vinyl stocked at. You can vote here. The winning color will be revealed on November 29.