The Avalanches - Since I Left You Reissue

58 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Feel like I should wait to find out if this is the original mix. 

You may not want to wait too long, the main site is showing Sold Out.  I ordered because I’m down for the remixes and extra packaging.  My blue copy isn’t the original mix and I find that it’s not exactly a dealbreaker for me.  (Certainly not anything I’m going to pay $200 to fix with a Zomba mix anyway.)  If I have second thoughts I can easily just cancel before they ship in June.

15 hours ago, Derek™ said:

You may not want to wait too long, the main site is showing Sold Out.  I ordered because I’m down for the remixes and extra packaging.  My blue copy isn’t the original mix and I find that it’s not exactly a dealbreaker for me.  (Certainly not anything I’m going to pay $200 to fix with a Zomba mix anyway.)  If I have second thoughts I can easily just cancel before they ship in June.

Certainly the pressing will be larger than what they sold on their page?

Also available here, with shipping comes out to around $85. 

Based on the description I'm still not sure the original samples are gonna be included.... But if not, then what was the 3-year legal holdup?

https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Since-I-Left-You-20th-Anniversary-Deluxe-Edition/6XSJ0000000

Edited by filthyrich
shorter link

On 4/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, Derek™ said:

Bull Moose will probably have it for cheaper but I’ve been having fulfillment issues with them after they added the “We’ll try to get this for you” on every pre-order they list.

Up for pre-order at BullMoose now if you're feeling lucky: https://www.bullmoose.com/p/26265398/avalanches-since-i-left-you

Mannnnn getting tight out there, feel like this will be sold out everywhere.

Still, I cannot convince myself to pull the trigger without knowing for certain that this is the original mix.... I have a deep-seated fear that the delay was attempting to clear samples for US/global distro -> failing -> repressing the 'deluxe' with the US plates + remix plates.

Crossing my fingers for all of you who already ordered that I'm the one who misses out and these are actually fresh presses of the OG sample mixes.

For whatever this is worth, on their Instagram, I asked "Does anyone know if this has all of the original samples restored?" and they "liked" my comment. Of course, that's not confirmation but it was some sort of acknowledgment. I currently have three copies of this album on vinyl (one from 2004 I believe, the 2012 "blue wave" version and the 2017 blue indie exclusive) and I'm going to have to listen to them closely tomorrow to see what differences there are. If what people said in this thread so far is true, the 2012 blue wave version  SHOULD have the original Frontier Psychiatrist but the other two should not (unless my 2004 version is also a UK copy). Otherwise, the samples should be the same between all three copies and the following note which is on Discogs should be true.

The following is true for every vinyl pressing of "Since I Left You" (except the Rex Records test pressing):
"Since I Left You" and "Live At Dominoes" do not contain the "younger than springtime" sample from Rodgers/Hammerstein.
"Summer Crane" and "Extra Kings" do not contain the flute sample from War's "H2Overture"
"Radio" does not contain the "Johnny!" dialogue at the beginning
"Diners Only" does not contain the "good evening gentlemen" dialogue at the beginning

To be clear, what we're all hoping for is that this deluxe version contains the OG Frontier Psychiatrist AND also has the the above samples also included, right? Just want to make sure we're on the same page about the "original mix" and what it really means. 

Edited by originalfake
Wanted to add a quote.

Well looking at the listings the cat number for this 2021 4lp is different to the one that was seemly pressed in 2017 but then shelved.

My thinking was that the one pressed in 2017 would not have the original samples and be the same as the regular 2lp editions that were pressed at the same time, as why risk all that cost to press it with the original samples if you hadn't cleared it to actually release. And why use different versions for the 2lp & 4lp when producing them together.

Just received this from bullmoose

"Hello,

We regret to inform you that our orders for The Avalanches/Since I Left You (Deluxe 4LP) have been cancelled by the record label. We were told earlier today that this release 'will no longer be released wide to all retailers' at this time. This may become an exclusive to another retailer but we do not have any confirmation of that at this time. If you have been charged, a refund will be issued as well as a refund of any points or credit used. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment this causes.

Best,

Luc/BullMoose"

42 minutes ago, rooks said:

Excited for all of you who are interested in the total package, and the remixes and all.  But, seems pretty clear to me that these aren't the OG samples. They would have said something. 

If I'm wrong, I won't eat my hat or anything - I'll just be sad I don't own it.

I think the problem is that the band doesn’t even know what the “original mix” is.  Everyone is grilling them whether or not the OG samples are included and they’re just shrugging and Liking those questions on social media because shit’s confusing, and there’s like 4-5 mixes at this point.  Even still, most people are primarily curious about the samples of Frontier Psychiatrist, and it’d be easy for them to just answer “yes” or “no” to the multiple people asking if this reissue contains the new / re-recorded samples.  But I can’t imagine they’d weight in if it impacts record sales, right?  For that reason, yeah – not exactly holding my breath for an “OG” mix.

Also, I’m really amused at how big of a dealbreaker that seems to be for so many people.  I’m not trying to sway anyone into buying this thing one way or another – especially if you own a copy of the album already, and doubly so if you don’t give a shit about the remixes – but the posts deeming the album “unlistenable” are a little dramatic.  The hangup is with how different the re-recorded voices sound to the original, obviously.  It rubs longtime fans (or people who’ve binged the single) the wrong way – their ear picks up on what “doesn’t sound right”, like they’ve come to expect.  But man, the essence of the song is surely still there.  The essence of the album is still very much intact if you ask me.  FP, as a song, is a grab-bag of samples arranged in a very groovy, zany manner; if you sent someone into the new mix, who had never heard SILY before, I don’t think they’d physically wince like so many longtime fans do when they hear that new mix.

No one is in the wrong for wanting to save $80 instead of repurchasing a mix they’re not crazy about.  But the folks - no one here on VC - commenting that the album is virtually unlistenable... I just gotta’ wonder how much of SILY they’re actually listening to.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Also, I’m really amused at how big of a dealbreaker that seems to be for so many people.  I’m not trying to sway anyone into buying this thing one way or another – especially if you own a copy of the album already, and doubly so if you don’t give a shit about the remixes – but the posts deeming the album “unlistenable” are a little dramatic.  The hangup is with how different the re-recorded voices sound to the original, obviously.  It rubs longtime fans (or people who’ve binged the single) the wrong way – their ear picks up on what “doesn’t sound right”, like they’ve come to expect.  But man, the essence of the song is surely still there.  The essence of the album is still very much intact if you ask me.  FP, as a song, is a grab-bag of samples arranged in a very groovy, zany manner; if you sent someone into the new mix, who had never heard SILY before, I don’t think they’d physically wince like so many longtime fans do when they hear that new mix.

No one is in the wrong for wanting to save $80 instead of repurchasing a mix they’re not crazy about.  But the folks - no one here on VC - commenting that the album is virtually unlistenable... I just gotta’ wonder how much of SILY they’re actually listening to.

Yeah, you're right all around. I'm not a big remix guy, even on an album like this where the songs are already basically remixes so they usually work well in that format, or at least better than when rock-oriented projects release a mini list of "remixes".

The standard US spotify mix definitely isn't a deal breaker. For me, I would have been happy spending $80 if I could get the old mixes, just for the sake of "authenticity" or hearing it how I originally did - but you're definitely not wrong at this point that it's very confusing with this release and I don't even remember some\most of the differences anymore. 

I guess what I'm saying is if there was a anniversary version that wasn't deluxe that just had the original songs + new art for $40-$45 I'd probably swing for it? But that additional $40 for a playlist of remixes I will legitimately spin one single time, just can't do it. :(