The Avalanches - Since I Left You Reissue

my copy sounds excellent. for those who think their copies may have surface noise issues, i encourage you to do a side-by-side comparison with the digital files. there is a lot of natural surface noise on this album, as many of the sounds were sampled from vinyl with imperfections. my only critique is that it should have been clear, or teal (like my hair), instead of the boring deep blue that apparently the majority of people voted for. in the end, it feels great to finally own an affordable version of this excellent release. kudos to bullmoose for the 29.99 (no tax, free shipping) preorder. no major corner dings. jacket arrived NM.

3 hours ago, andynz said:

Can someone with both the 2016 repress and the new blue repress do a comparison?

I have a 2016 repress, which to my ears sounds a little lacking in the bass department. Considering picking up a new copy if the quality is noticeably better. 

edit: apparently they are different plates; my bad

Edited by ethereal

5 minutes ago, ethereal said:

same plates, definitely no significant change in sound

I reckon not.  Received this via PM from a fellow VCer, for what it's worth.

'A' Side - 8926000415LP01-A   G1    (squiggly H with the S in between the bottom lines of said H) - no idea whose 'mark' that is, but I've seen it pop up recently

This matrix is different from the recent Euro release coinciding with the 5k - It's Astralwerks/Modular, and on the label - The labels DO NOT refer a 2016 date.  Only 2000.  Gatefold.  Date on back sleeve is 2000, no reference of 2016.  

I looked through every other matrix marking already established on Discogs - this matrix doesn't match any of them.

I gave it a good wet wipe before I threw it on, as always.   Someone that refuses to will complain, but it's fine with me.  Picked up a few parts that most won't know are there unless you know the album to a T, on a long play through.

9 minutes ago, darkeyelids said:

I think the biggest disappointment of this release is the inclusion of the butchered version of Frontier Psychiatrist.

Will be very interesting if there is a vinyl version of the deluxe set they have been talking about for a while, maybe then they will get it right. 

I'd agree.

Still happy I shelled out $150 for my OG :)

54 minutes ago, darkeyelids said:

I think the biggest disappointment of this release is the inclusion of the butchered version of Frontier Psychiatrist.

45 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

I'd agree.

Still happy I shelled out $150 for my OG :)

i'm happier shelling out $29.99 for this latest release. i prefer some of the original mixes (like frontier psychiatrist), but i don't $120 prefer them.

If you guys can live without the purdy blue variant, last year's Euro repress appears to have the original samples, for what it's worth.  If you already picked up the newest blue press, it's debatably worth it to shell out ~$25 PPD for one song... but if you're on the fence and own neither yet, I'd suggest going for that one.  Sound quality appears to be a mixed bag depending on who you ask, but at least you know you're getting the original samples if they're that important to your listening experience.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

If you guys can live without the purdy blue variant, last year's Euro repress appears to have the original samples, for what it's worth.  If you already picked up the newest blue press, it's debatably worth it to shell out ~$25 PPD for one song... but if you're on the fence and own neither yet, I'd suggest going for that one.  Sound quality appears to be a mixed bag depending on who you ask, but at least you know you're getting the original samples if they're that important to your listening experience.

so XL cleared the samples and astral/modular didn't?

this is interesting

39 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I'm not 100% sure about that. I've heard conflicting sources about the Euro press having original samples. 

9 minutes ago, ethereal said:

Does anyone know the exact differences in frontier psychiatrist? as in which missing samples were rerecorded on which version and vice versa because I just got done listening to my blue and it sounds like the real version.

I don't know every nuance of the difference, but the version you linked is the one I'm familiar with.  I remember a while back I listened to a version on Youtube that [I'm assuming] featured the "re-dubbed" samples.  I had to go out of my way to find it, though, since my iTunes copy, Spotify, and FLAC versions all sound the same – that is, like the one you just posted.

The re-dub I would describe as someone just trying to replicate the voices, but it obviously sounds different.  Like noticeably different voices.  Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a while since I've heard it, so there could be more to it.  I remember thinking "ah, yeah... okay, that stands out – but not to the point where I'd pay an extra $130 to fix it."  Just my opinion though.

33 minutes ago, ethereal said:

Does anyone know the exact differences in frontier psychiatrist? as in which missing samples were rerecorded on which version and vice versa because I just got done listening to my blue and it sounds like the real version.

listen to the one you linked above and then listen to this one:

https://www.beatport.com/track/frontier-psychiatrist-original-mix/118729

36 minutes ago, ethereal said:

so the removal of the dialogue is the main rerecorded aspect?

Your guess is as good as mine.  Maybe I'm just not listening closely enough, but can someone else explicitly spell out the differences for me?  Because I hear absolutely nothing through these speakers between the above link and the above Youtube video.  Other than the start time; the Beatport link he dropped has some of the beginning and end removed.

52 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

This is 100% the redubbed version everyone is complaining about. The difference is obvious 

Not saying its bad either. I'm fine with this version.

Exactly what I had heard a while back, thank you.  No idea why I didn't just search for "vinyl version".  Not only does this establish the differences, night-and-day, but it also goes a step further to illustrate that Fungi has no clue what he's talking about and really zero positive contributions for the board.  I'm okay with the forums playing an annual game of Spot the Fuckboy where as soon as we all successfully identify Halo 2, he gets banned for a year and can attempt to join as a different scene kid in disguise at some point in January the year after.  I think it could be a lot of fun.

That being said, I find it amusing that it seems to be random whether or not the samples are intact or not.  There are people claiming the originals are there, and others insisting they're not – both camps, on all recent presses, Euro or otherwise – and at this point I don't know what to think until my copy shows up.  But like Shelby said... it's noticeably different, sure.  And I'd prefer the original version we're all used to, but not enough to chase down a different copy to drop $100.  I'll just cross my fingers, I guess.

@ethereal – the blue "indie" press that you just spun; did it sound like the above vinyl version?  Or like the version you're familiar with?  And where did you end up receiving it from?

9 hours ago, Derek™ said:

@ethereal – the blue "indie" press that you just spun; did it sound like the above vinyl version?  Or like the version you're familiar with?  And where did you end up receiving it from?

the only thing I was thinking when listening to the blue vinyl version was the "random voice lines" throughout the song could have been the rerecorded elements since some of the voices sounded slightly different.  I would have to do another play through tonight to make sure but that could very well be the version.