The Avalanches - Since I Left You Reissue

Circling back to my stance from the last time this was reissued, after trying and failing to A/B a meaningful difference between the different versions, which I stand by:

On 7/21/2016 at 9:36 AM, AlexH. said:

Honestly, if you noticed a difference, you are a huge nerd. Sorry if this offends

This is not one of those albums where the timbre of every drum hit is carved into my brain though, more like I listen to it every 18 months or so and am just kinda like "music... very cool". I understand how you might feel differently if this album meant a lot to you. Still a huge nerd though

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're a nut!

sorry for the bump. but if you're a fan of The Avalanches, then you should check out Neat Beats   http://neatbeats.bandcamp.com/

You're all nuts!  Crazy in the coconuts.

20 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Also, I’m really amused at how big of a dealbreaker that seems to be for so many people.  I’m not trying to sway anyone into buying this thing one way or another – especially if you own a copy of the album already, and doubly so if you don’t give a shit about the remixes – but the posts deeming the album “unlistenable” are a little dramatic.  The hangup is with how different the re-recorded voices sound to the original, obviously.  It rubs longtime fans (or people who’ve binged the single) the wrong way – their ear picks up on what “doesn’t sound right”, like they’ve come to expect.  But man, the essence of the song is surely still there.  The essence of the album is still very much intact if you ask me.  FP, as a song, is a grab-bag of samples arranged in a very groovy, zany manner; if you sent someone into the new mix, who had never heard SILY before, I don’t think they’d physically wince like so many longtime fans do when they hear that new mix.

No one is in the wrong for wanting to save $80 instead of repurchasing a mix they’re not crazy about.  But the folks - no one here on VC - commenting that the album is virtually unlistenable... I just gotta’ wonder how much of SILY they’re actually listening to.

This is where I stand. I've never understood  those who say that the album is somehow fundamentally different because of a few seconds of missing samples. Agreed that if you already have it and  don't feel like dropping another $80, I get it. That being said, I'm still going to cross my fingers that a few of the samples are restored. But like you said, who knows if the band even knows what we're talking about anymore. Ha. 

19 hours ago, AlexH. said:

Circling back to my stance from the last time this was reissued, after trying and failing to A/B a meaningful difference between the different versions, which I stand by:

This is not one of those albums where the timbre of every drum hit is carved into my brain though, more like I listen to it every 18 months or so and am just kinda like "music... very cool". I understand how you might feel differently if this album meant a lot to you. Still a huge nerd though

I know the album that well and it still doesn't bother me to hear the non-original mixes.