Hey Travis....

If a store lost their vinyl section it was because they probably werent selling it very well to begin with.

No stores that currently have a vinyl section will be losing that. The CD sections will likely be reduced but the vinyl will be staying and possibly even expanding to some new stores that didnt have a vinyl section before.

can you use your powers to get the HT at Streets of Southpoint Mall in Durham NC to carry vinyl?

I hope you're kidding. Why would you care about Hot Topic carrying records if you can just go to Bull City, CD Alley, or All Day Records?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where i live, there's barely any record stores except hot topic, and they are the only one who get new releases.

says the guy who lives in southern california where there are literally dozens upon dozens (if not HUNDREDS) of record stores.

Not near my house lol. I've got to drive 1-2 hours for any decent record store near me.

theres so little places to buy music anymore in person, HT is pushing it out, all big music stores (sam goody, tower, virgin, fye, etc) went out of buisness, target and walmart carry crap, best buy section is decreasing significantly, and the websites for them are pretty good but ive determined that amazon.com is really the best way to go for buying pyshical music, they got a all selection and list things very early...amazon is the best way

its times like these i remember how much i love the city of richmond. i have 4 record shops all 2 miles or less from my house. (steady sounds, deep groove, vinyl conflict, and plan 9) the first three exclusive to only vinyl records.

Fuck yeah RVA! I love our little vinyl-friendly town. I need to go to Steady Sounds more as they have great stuff. The people at Deep Groove are the nicest people ever.

can you use your powers to get the HT at Streets of Southpoint Mall in Durham NC to carry vinyl?

I hope you're kidding. Why would you care about Hot Topic carrying records if you can just go to Bull City, CD Alley, or All Day Records?

because i live literally 5 minutes from the mall, and 20+ from any of those. i get to bull city and schoolkids as often i can. calm yourself.

If a store lost their vinyl section it was because they probably werent selling it very well to begin with.

No stores that currently have a vinyl section will be losing that. The CD sections will likely be reduced but the vinyl will be staying and possibly even expanding to some new stores that didnt have a vinyl section before.

You don't have any sway over which stores carry vinyl, do you Travis?

You don't have any sway over which stores carry vinyl, do you Travis?

Not really, there's multiple factors that go into deciding whether or not a store has a vinyl section or not.

yeah i have 4 hot topics within 35 minutes from me. none carry vinyl except for the bargain bins with "throwdown" and other records that i wouldnt actually buy. we dont have any local record stores at all. the closest fye is 45 minutes, but it doesnt have vinyl either. i guess if i wanted to buy "local" vinyl, id have to go to philly, but as i have seen before, they dont have much selection.

I live my life with a foolish amount rules. My rules for purchasing records follows this guide.

I try to buy my records from local independently owned record stores. (Exclusive Company is the only one within daily travel distance for me. I miss the short lived Ear Wax in Appleton WI) Buying from local independently owned stores keeps the majority of your money in your area. If local independently owned stores don't carry what you wanted or aren't cost competitive then move on to local chain stores. Best Buy, Hot Topic etc. Again it's keeping local people employed and keeping money in your local economy.

If nothing local is viable then move onto ordering from band website, record stores online shops and distro's. Finally order online from a mega chain if the price is to good to pass up.

By me the local record store has a decent selection but the prices are sometimes abysmal. For example they had one of Propagandhi's records for 15.99. I could order the same record for about $11.50 shipped. However John Samson's solo record was $ 2 more then I could get online shipped.

I've spent the last few years be a musical hermit but now that I've got some extra disposable income I try to buy at least 1 record a week from the local independently owned store.

Just my individual opinion on this topic. I don't mean to try and impose my beliefs on other, just adding my opinion to the discussion. For me keeping money local is one of the biggest determining factors in making my purchases.

This topic has also made me look up the average wages for Hot Topic Sales Associates and the wages are Wal Mart-ian. I've been buying a few records there lately, maybe 1-3 a month, so I should take the time to see how they pay there employees.

Glassdoor has average wage of Sales Associates at $7.48 and $8.11 for Key Holders.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Hot-Topic-Salaries-E5499.htm

Hot Topic FAQ has the starting wage as "generally starting at minimum". (The benefits are pretty sexy though)

http://community.hottopic.com/content/store-faqs

I can dig that, but I would go to a distro or band/label directly before going to a "local chain store". I highly doubt Best Buy or HT will go out of business if people didn't buy music there.

I can dig that, but I would go to a distro or band/label directly before going to a "local chain store". I highly doubt Best Buy or HT will go out of business if people didn't buy music there.

Best Buy is a Minnesota company...so I'm technically buying local when I shop there. They just happened to do well for themselves and branched out a bit.

Best Buy and most big chains sell a lot of music at a loss. It's how they get you in the door to sell you a Bose sound system or Dre Beats headphones or other worthless garbage with high profit margins. So if you're only ever buying cheap media/clearance items, you could potentially be taking away from their bottom line.

And dude. Shopping at Best Buy is not "buying local". I'm sure residents of Arkansas don't harbor any illusions of "keeping it local" when they shop at Wal Mart.

So I went into the Hot Topic that I usually pick up my HT exclusives from and noticed they no longer carried vinyl... Not only that, they didn't even carry cds anymore either. I asked a girl that worked there and she informed me that HT would no longer be selling vinyl or music that wasn't on the top 40... This didn't sound right to me, surely she is just an ill informed HT underling. Can you please give me the low down on this? Are some stores just going to no longer carry vinyl? and if so, why?

what store was this at?

This was at the Galleria in Henderson.

because i live literally 5 minutes from the mall, and 20+ from any of those. i get to bull city and schoolkids as often i can. calm yourself.

you post on a vinyl messageboard but aren't willing to drive 20 minutes for a few of the best record stores in the state (if not the country)?

all day fucking rules, cd alley is the SHIT if you're patient and like digging, and the new record store IN THE GROOVE is supposed to be GREAT (carrying all of sorry state distro!).

not to mention you're only a few hours from charlotte and lunchbox records, or a few hours south of richmond.

seriously folks, it's fucking UNBELIEVABLE to me that in 2012 there are still people into "punk" that think it's awesome to shop at hot topic.

travis, I hope the place you work at is as soul sucking as it seems, and I hope they go out of business. It has nothing to do with twilight shirts or good vinyl prices, it's about taking money and spending it in the wrong place. get fucking fired or at least stop using this board as an outlet for fucking HOT TOPIC

Am I the only one who finds it funny when late-teen/twenty-somethings go on a tirade about people not being "punk" enough or telling how "punk" they are on an internet message board for such an expensive and what is arguably one of the most "hipster" hobbies out there right now? for some people in this hobby, money is a factor in where we shop. If I can get record X for $5 at one place or for $20 at another place, you bet your sweet ass I'm going for the $5 shop no matter what the name of the store is.

I don't care what other products they sell in there. I'm not shopping for those other products. They could sell lemon flavored dildos and play dough toilet brushes for all I care. Do I like to support Indie stores? Sure. Is that possible for everyone? Nope. I live 2-1/2 hours from the closest Indie store. The owner is a dick and doesn't give a shit about anything released after 1975. I live an hour from the nearest hot topic that sells vinyl (and usually has something I want to buy). I'm going to hot topic 98% of the time.

I worked for the Musicland Group for years. In that time we were bought out by Best Buy, then sold to an investment company, and ultimately went through liquidation and closing. When Best Buy purchased the Musicland Group, they paid $290 million in cash for the company as well as paid off all debt for the company. 1 year later, we were $71 million in debt which is why Best Buy sold that portion of the company. It was clear to all of us who had been in the industry for a few years that Best Buy didn't give a shit about music. At least Hot Topic is making an earnest effort to get music that is in demand to their customers, something that can not be said about Best Buy.

Thank you, Travis, for all you do for the music fans who want to get their hands on the releases that you help make possible. If that's not "punk" enough for some people, maybe they need to grow up a little and realize it's not always about "fighting the man" or being cool.

Wow, I didn't realize how "lucky" I am that I have probably 3 dozen music shops I can drive to in 30min or less from my house. Tuesday nights are my music shopping night and though I didn't find any LPs at the local CHEAPO, I did pick up 8 CDs.

Don't forget pawn shops usually have CDs if you want to go the cheap music route.

Also, many book stores are now carrying a used vinyl section. I picked up a limited pink version of No Use For a Name's Hard Rock Bottom for $6.

I must have missed that buying vinyl was a fad that started in 2008 as my purchasing habits (aside from having a larger budget as I continue to work for "the man") since 1999.