Let eBay tank, buildng up discogs for primary mrkt

That's the whole point of this thread. I want to call attention and traffic to discogs. But you cannot sit around and wait for someone else to do the work. If an item you want to sell is not listed, you can create an entree, just follow the directions I wrote in the first post.

If you want to sell an item within 10 days, then an eBay auction is the best way to go. But don't kid yourself to thinking you got $45 because of eBay fees. Another point is someone was willing to pay $44.50 and another was willing to pay more. There's your market. If you listed the item on discogs, you would have been the only seller. Unfortunately because there was no previous listing, no one had the item in their want list, so it is highly unlikely that your item would have been noticed.. But that's what I'm trying to change.

The best part of an eBay auction is the momentum when two or more buyers want the same item. And unfortunately, someone who wouldn't pay $45 for your record on discogs might get sucked into a bidding war and pay $50 on eBay.

The only real winner is eBay, though.

eBay took $4.05 & PayPal took $1.69. Discogs would have taken $2.70 & PayPal would still take $1.69. A difference of $1.35, but I was able to have an auction instead of a set sale. For the Fireworks record, eBay was the best bet. It jumped $15+ in the last minute. For fixed price items I'm going to give discogs a chance. I did sell 1 of the 24 items I listed on discogs yesterday. And that item hadn't sold on eBay the 4-5 times I listed it. I also noticed a lot of the discogs prices are pretty high. I ended up listing things higher on discogs than I had priced them on eBay.

I just recently discovered Discogs and I'm happy I did. I've bought a few records off there for much cheaper than I would have off eBay. I've also managed to sell a few things for $2-$5 that I was simply trying to unload and couldn't get rid of on this board. I don't think I'd use it for a record release or something that I feel I could get a decent amount of money for on eBay, but it's a great alternative. I've used half.com for years to buy/sell cds, dvds, books, etc. Discogs is kind of the vinyl version of that site for me.

Is there away to prep listings on discogs and then put them all live at the same time. I have a lot of records to go through and would like them all up at once so hopefully buyers will pick up more than one.

There is a bulk upload, but then they charge 8% which brings you almost to the level of an eBay auction (9%)

I love discogs! What I like is I know which version of a record I'm buying (if the seller lists it correctly which most do) whereas on eBay sometimes you just have to guess and hope.

I also dig being able to have a full digital catalog of my collection and adding in any releases that are not already in the database.

What I like is I know which version of a record I'm buying (if the seller lists it correctly which most do) whereas on eBay sometimes you just have to guess and hope.

This statement is strange. I'd say the majority of sellers on eBay & Discogs will let you know the color of the record or what version. It all comes down to the seller, not a site. If a record is sealed, then what do you do with the trillion versions on discogs?

Is there away to prep listings on discogs and then put them all live at the same time. I have a lot of records to go through and would like them all up at once so hopefully buyers will pick up more than one.

It takes 5 to 10 seconds to make a listing.

1. Click sell vinyl

2. Select condition of media.

3. Select condition of jacket.

4. Enter optional info.

5. Click OK.

Just got an email from Discogs and their seller fees are going up.

Quote:

To enable the hiring of additional staff and improve our level of service to you, we're going to be increasing Marketplace selling fees effective May 1st, 2012.

Items sold on or after that date will have the following fees:

8% for Standard Listings

10% for Product Search Listings

(a $0.10 minimum fee will remain in place)

Invoices sent on or after May 1st, 2012 will now be due 10 days after the invoice date.

Increasing fees is something we try to do as infrequently and with as much notice as possible. Our last fee increase was almost 3 years ago in July 2009. As a result we've made a number of significant improvements to Discogs:

* grew our team from 4 people to 9 people

* delivered over 1,300 features and bug fixes

* increased conversion rate in the Marketplace by more than 84%

* more than doubled the number of servers, making the site faster and more reliable

This fee increase will allow us to:

* bring on additional software developers, so that we can add additional features

* hire a customer support rep based in Europe, so that we can respond to requests in a more timely manner, and in multiple languages

* improve our marketing efforts, to increase site awareness and expand our user base

* continue investing in new hardware to keep Discogs fast and stable

We sincerely thank you for choosing to sell on Discogs and we look forward to your continued success.

Kevin

Was just about to post this. So now the fees are about even.

I still see Discogs as being able to offer better service since it is a provider for a niche market and thus, able to tailor its offerings to the market specifically. But, the big plus just isn't quite there.

Dang start-ups trying to monetize!

I don't begrudge them the fee increase, actually. I think it's inevitable as their company grows.

They're close to ebay cost-wise, but there are still times I'd rather list on discogs. If I have a rare item that has a small niche fan-base, it would easily go under the radar on ebay. But if I'm willing to leave it on discogs for a month or two, that person may just come along. I sold a CD just today for $20 that fits that exact description. If I'd put it on ebay, it probably would have gone unnoticed.

As has been mentioned, ebay is great if you can get a couple people into a bidding war. But that never seems to happen to me. I can list an item that sells for between $50-$100 based on completed auctions, and somehow I always manage to end up right at the low end.

Was just about to post this. So now the fees are about even.

I still see Discogs as being able to offer better service since it is a provider for a niche market and thus, able to tailor its offerings to the market specifically. But, the big plus just isn't quite there.

Dang start-ups trying to monetize!

And the fee raising begins.....

To enable the hiring of additional staff and improve our level of service to you, we're going to be increasing Marketplace selling fees effective May 1st, 2012.

Items sold on or after that date will have the following fees:

8% for Standard Listings

10% for Product Search Listings

(a $0.10 minimum fee will remain in place)

Invoices sent on or after May 1st, 2012 will now be due 10 days after the invoice date.

Increasing fees is something we try to do as infrequently and with as much notice as possible. Our last fee increase was almost 3 years ago in July 2009. As a result we've made a number of significant improvements to Discogs:

grew our team from 4 people to 9 people

delivered over 1,300 features and bug fixes

increased conversion rate in the Marketplace by more than 84%

more than doubled the number of servers, making the site faster and more reliable

This fee increase will allow us to:

bring on additional software developers, so that we can add additional features

hire a customer support rep based in Europe, so that we can respond to requests in a more timely manner, and in multiple languages

improve our marketing efforts, to increase site awareness and expand our user base

continue investing in new hardware to keep Discogs fast and stable

We sincerely thank you for choosing to sell on Discogs and we look forward to your continued success.

Kevin

Only difference between discogs and ebay now is that with ebay you can still hold an auction and potentially receive even more cash for your records. This will ruin Discogs unfortunately. Big mistake.

Why do you think so?

ebay: insertion fee

discogs: NO insertion fee

ebay final value fee for fixed price: 13%

discogs: 8%

Only difference between discogs and ebay now is that with ebay you can still hold an auction and potentially receive even more cash for your records. This will ruin Discogs unfortunately. Big mistake.

Why do you think so?

I like how you completely dodged my assertion in the other thread, and continue to misinform everyone and yourself. But here you go anyway:

Just a heads up, eBay final value fee is NOT 13 percent, I really have no clue where you are pulling that number out from. I addressed this earlier in the other discogs thread and never got a response. eBay is 9 percent. Paypal (which you still get charged on discogs sales) is 2.9%. So you are comparing 10.9 percent with 11.9 percent. 1 percent more for 1,000,000 times the exposure. If you have evidence of 13 percent you claim, please post it now, otherwise stop making figures up and refer to the eBay and Paypal links I posted earlier.

also just to help you really figure it out this time:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/Feecalculator.html

Why do you think so?

I like how you completely dodged my assertion in the other thread, and continue to misinform everyone and yourself. But here you go anyway:

Just a heads up, eBay final value fee is NOT 13 percent, I really have no clue where you are pulling that number out from. I addressed this earlier in the other discogs thread and never got a response. eBay is 9 percent. Paypal (which you still get charged on discogs sales) is 2.9%. So you are comparing 10.9 percent with 11.9 percent. 1 percent more for 1,000,000 times the exposure. If you have evidence of 13 percent you claim, please post it now, otherwise stop making figures up and refer to the eBay and Paypal links I posted earlier.

also just to help you really figure it out this time:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/Feecalculator.html

Man you like making a fool of yourself.

1. I responded in reply #24 in this thread.

2. It's 10:30 am on a weekday. I have important business to take care and cannot keep up with these threads every minute.

3. I answered your post in the other thread.

4. We are talking about selling at a fixed price. It costs 13% on the initial $50.