Let eBay tank, buildng up discogs for primary mrkt

I am very for this. eBay not only makes it more difficult to sell vinyl due to inflated prices, but I also feel like I rip people off just to break even on a record due to all their fees.

I am a newer member to discogs, but I have experienced some issues when trying to add variants or even master releases. While I have gotten approval for some I noticed it is usually a long, cumbersome process. I have many more obscure records that are still sitting in queue to be reviewed/approved. What suggestions do you have to improve this process? I have tried posting on the forums there to help push some of them.

How do you handle shipping on discogs as opposed to eBay? One thing I do enjoy about eBay is they provide a discount on shipping services and include free tracking. Is there a way you can do this without having to go through them or do I just charge the buyer what I paid at the post office?

I've never had difficulties for adding a release to the database. Everything I have done has been instant.

As for shipping, in my case it's no different than eBay. On eBay, I list my shipping fees in my auctions. EBay only allows you to charge $4 to ship an LP! From Japan, it costs me over $12. This was a huge problem. On Discogs, you just write the shipping charge in your profile. Once you sell enough items, you can estimate a flat rate for records.

I just signed up for discogs last night. eBay is far superior. It takes too many steps to find a record on discogs. On eBay I can put whatever I want in the title & try to pull people in with other search terms. I haven't used discogs enough, but I don't think this is an option.

Using the Fireworks - Adventure, Nostalgia And Robbery 7" I sold yesterday as an example, I was unable to find any for sale on discogs. Put it on eBay for $15 & had no bids for days. Posted here & someone offered me less than $15. The eBay auction ended up getting bid to $45 during the last minute.

I'm going to try using discogs for crap I've had a hard time getting rid of, but any premium title is going on eBay.

That's the whole point of this thread. I want to call attention and traffic to discogs. But you cannot sit around and wait for someone else to do the work. If an item you want to sell is not listed, you can create an entree, just follow the directions I wrote in the first post.

If you want to sell an item within 10 days, then an eBay auction is the best way to go. But don't kid yourself to thinking you got $45 because of eBay fees. Another point is someone was willing to pay $44.50 and another was willing to pay more. There's your market. If you listed the item on discogs, you would have been the only seller. Unfortunately because there was no previous listing, no one had the item in their want list, so it is highly unlikely that your item would have been noticed.. But that's what I'm trying to change.

The best part of an eBay auction is the momentum when two or more buyers want the same item. And unfortunately, someone who wouldn't pay $45 for your record on discogs might get sucked into a bidding war and pay $50 on eBay.

The only real winner is eBay, though.

I will never understand why people are so harsh on ebay flippers. They are directly placating the idiotic masses who usually bid way over the actual value.

Discogs is the better place to sell records, and you'd look like an idiot setting a price way above everyone else.

Exactly. Discogs keeps prices competitive.

totally in favor of this, but its not gonna happen

It is happening. I've been using discogs for years and have been watching slowly as it grows and grows. It needs us, though. Without us, there's just eBay. Discogs is the best alternative. There's also gemm and musicstack, but they lack the momentum and database of discogs. The key factor of discogs is the information database. People use discogs to learn about discographies.

I am very for this. eBay not only makes it more difficult to sell vinyl due to inflated prices, but I also feel like I rip people off just to break even on a record due to all their fees.

I am a newer member to discogs, but I have experienced some issues when trying to add variants or even master releases. While I have gotten approval for some I noticed it is usually a long, cumbersome process. I have many more obscure records that are still sitting in queue to be reviewed/approved. What suggestions do you have to improve this process? I have tried posting on the forums there to help push some of them.

How do you handle shipping on discogs as opposed to eBay? One thing I do enjoy about eBay is they provide a discount on shipping services and include free tracking. Is there a way you can do this without having to go through them or do I just charge the buyer what I paid at the post office?

I've never had difficulties for adding a release to the database. Everything I have done has been instant.

As for shipping, in my case it's no different than eBay. On eBay, I list my shipping fees in my auctions. EBay only allows you to charge $4 to ship an LP! From Japan, it costs me over $12. This was a huge problem. On Discogs, you just write the shipping charge in your profile. Once you sell enough items, you can estimate a flat rate for records.

Such a pet peeve of mine but your not supposed to charge over four because its ebay US. You are supposed to use your respective countries ebay site (ex: ebay.co.uk ebay.com.au) and list the auction international just like we have to do. There is an international site map on the bottom of the front page

Such a pet peeve of mine but your not supposed to charge over four because its ebay US. You are supposed to use your respective countries ebay site (ex: ebay.co.uk ebay.com.au) and list the auction international just like we have to do. There is an international site map on the bottom of the front page

eBay hasn't developed a seller's site for Japan. The buyer's version is in its beta version.

I have yet to sell anything on discogs, but I've thought about it. I tend to unload a few random records on here once in a while.

I love the site for the discographies and info on different pressings. it used to be a mostly electronic music driven site, but thankfully the genres have diversified over the years.

I've had records sit in my eBay store for months before being purchased (because they were expensive)

This is why I don't like eBay. You can list an item "good till cancelled. No extra charges." but you get charged the listing fee every month. It took me a few months to figure it out, but they had already got $200 from me.

Guest deathbydrums

This is why I don't like eBay. You can list an item "good till cancelled. No extra charges." but you get charged the listing fee every month. It took me a few months to figure it out, but they had already got $200 from me.

^^this

Also, I'm always griping about Canada Post shipping charges. They're fucking insane - monopoly is not good for customers. In addition , it seems I get charged additional ebay fees because ebay thinks I am overcharging shipping, even though I use the Canada Post shipping feature on ebay and charge exact or even less than it costs. Specifically, when I do a bulk listing, all of them are flagged with the note "items in this shipping category may/will incur additional fees"... or something quite similar to that. Not sure if I'm interpreting this wrong, but those flags are usually there for a reason and the message does not sound good. I'd really be interested in hearing from some Canadians or anyone else who might have insight into this. Ebay, for me, really is probably 3 times more expensive than discogs (I said 3-4 times before... 3x more costly is probably more accurate). The only advantage to ebay is the traffic. If I price a record low enough (generally at least $5-$12 less than any US sellers to make shipping in line with US to US $4 shipping) then it usually will sell, but I make next to nothing or lose. :(

FAKT: Guess how much shipping via air is to anywhere in Europe for a double LP? OVER $35!!!! FAK.

1. Baazee.com, Inc., a Delaware corporation

2. Bill Me Later, Inc., a Delaware corporation

3. Blackthorne Software, Inc., a Delaware corporation

4. CARad Inc., a Delaware corporation

5. EachNet, Inc., a Delaware corporation

6. eBay Domestic Holdings, Inc., a Delaware corporation

7. eBay Insurance Services, Inc., a Delaware corporation

8. eBay International Inc., a Delaware corporation

9. eBay Real Estate Inc., a Delaware corporation

10. eBay Partner Network, Inc., a Delaware corporation

11. Global Commerce Services, Inc., a Delaware corporation

12. Half.com, Inc., a Pennsylvania corporation

13. Kijiji Holding LLC, a Delaware limited liability company

14. Kijiji US, Inc., a Delaware corporation

15. Last Minute Transactions, Inc., a Delaware corporation

16. Marketplace Insurance Inc., a Hawaii corporation

17. MicroPlace, Inc., a Delaware corporation

18. PayPal Asset Management, Inc., a Delaware corporation

19. PayPal Data Services, Inc., a Delaware corporation

20. PayPal Gift Card Services, Inc., a Arizona corporation

21. PayPal Global Holdings, Inc., a Delaware corporation

22. PayPal, Inc., a Delaware corporation

23. ProStores, Inc., a Delaware corporation

24. Shopping.com International Holding, Inc., a Delaware corporation

25. Shopping.com Inc., a Delaware corporation.

26. StubHub, Inc., a Delaware corporation

27. The Commercial Exchange Co., Inc., a Delaware corporation

28. Viva Group, Inc dba Rent.com, a Delaware corporation

29. Rent.com Arizona Brokerage, LLC

30. Viva.com Realty Brokerage, LLC (Florida)

31. Viva.com Realty Brokerage, LLC (Kentucky)

32. Rent.com Hawaii, LLC

33. Viva Realty Indiana, LLC

34. Viva Realty Minnesota, LLC (dba) “Rent.com”

35. Rent.com Nevada, LLC

36. Viva Group New Hampshire, LLC (dba) “Rent.com”

37. Viva Realty Washington, LLC

38. Viva Oregon, LLC

39. Rent.com Pennsylvania, LLC

40. Viva Realty Utah, LLC

41. Viva VA PA, LLC (Virginia)

42. VGI Delaware, LLC

And this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_eBay

Paul loves moonbeams.

eBay Alternative:

http://vinylcollective.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sale

When you use discogs do you still pay with paypal?

I see where this is going and you've got a great point.

Most of the European sellers accept direct bank transfers. I sometimes pay Japanese sellers with a bank transfer.

1. Baazee.com, Inc., a Delaware corporation

2. Bill Me Later, Inc., a Delaware corporation

3. Blackthorne Software, Inc., a Delaware corporation

4. CARad Inc., a Delaware corporation

5. EachNet, Inc., a Delaware corporation

6. eBay Domestic Holdings, Inc., a Delaware corporation

7. eBay Insurance Services, Inc., a Delaware corporation

8. eBay International Inc., a Delaware corporation

9. eBay Real Estate Inc., a Delaware corporation

10. eBay Partner Network, Inc., a Delaware corporation

11. Global Commerce Services, Inc., a Delaware corporation

12. Half.com, Inc., a Pennsylvania corporation

13. Kijiji Holding LLC, a Delaware limited liability company

14. Kijiji US, Inc., a Delaware corporation

15. Last Minute Transactions, Inc., a Delaware corporation

16. Marketplace Insurance Inc., a Hawaii corporation

17. MicroPlace, Inc., a Delaware corporation

18. PayPal Asset Management, Inc., a Delaware corporation

19. PayPal Data Services, Inc., a Delaware corporation

20. PayPal Gift Card Services, Inc., a Arizona corporation

21. PayPal Global Holdings, Inc., a Delaware corporation

22. PayPal, Inc., a Delaware corporation

23. ProStores, Inc., a Delaware corporation

24. Shopping.com International Holding, Inc., a Delaware corporation

25. Shopping.com Inc., a Delaware corporation.

26. StubHub, Inc., a Delaware corporation

27. The Commercial Exchange Co., Inc., a Delaware corporation

28. Viva Group, Inc dba Rent.com, a Delaware corporation

29. Rent.com Arizona Brokerage, LLC

30. Viva.com Realty Brokerage, LLC (Florida)

31. Viva.com Realty Brokerage, LLC (Kentucky)

32. Rent.com Hawaii, LLC

33. Viva Realty Indiana, LLC

34. Viva Realty Minnesota, LLC (dba) “Rent.com”

35. Rent.com Nevada, LLC

36. Viva Group New Hampshire, LLC (dba) “Rent.com”

37. Viva Realty Washington, LLC

38. Viva Oregon, LLC

39. Rent.com Pennsylvania, LLC

40. Viva Realty Utah, LLC

41. Viva VA PA, LLC (Virginia)

42. VGI Delaware, LLC

And this