Let eBay tank, buildng up discogs for primary mrkt

OK, I gave it a shot.

Fixed listing for $25.

International shipping of $13

fees $3.42

13.68 percent!

$3.42 on $38 is 13.68 percent? I don't see how that works.

They don't take a cut of shipping, since that money is for shipping and handling. That's why eBay set the max at $4 unless it's calc'd. Otherwise people had shit for $1 with $100 shipping to avoid paying fees.

I much prefer Discogs. As a buyer and seller. Too many deadbeats on eBay.

Way too many non-paying buyers on ebay. Why not? They have nothing to lose since you can't leave them negative feedback, and have to get THREE unpaid item strikes before you can even block them from bidding on your auctions. Even then, they just set up another account. I've never had anyone not pay me on Discogs. I find that the people on there tend to be more serious and know exactly what they want.

Of course, as Discogs continues to grow, so will the number of morons and deadbeats....

I much prefer Discogs. As a buyer and seller. Too many deadbeats on eBay.

Way too many non-paying buyers on ebay. Why not? They have nothing to lose since you can't leave them negative feedback, and have to get THREE unpaid item strikes before you can even block them from bidding on your auctions. Even then, they just set up another account. I've never had anyone not pay me on Discogs. I find that the people on there tend to be more serious and know exactly what they want.

Of course, as Discogs continues to grow, so will the number of morons and deadbeats....

Isn't that because discogs is all BINs. I have a hard time believing that people on eBay don't pay when using BINs. I think there is even a setting to where they have to pay right away.

Isn't that because discogs is all BINs. I have a hard time believing that people on eBay don't pay when using BINs. I think there is even a setting to where they have to pay right away.

My most recent sale on ebay I had to list twice because someone used BIN and never paid. I had forgotten to check the box requiring immediate payment. They were from a Latin American country that I said I didn't ship to. (For future auctions I found the setting to block those countries, I had been doing it wrong).

So yeah, BIN listings are fine if you require immediate payment. But I've had numerous non-payments for auction style listings over the years, and there's nothing you can do about those.

You can still have non-payment from Discogs buyers... they place the order and never pay, since immediate payment isn't required on that site (as far as I know). I've just never had it happen there.

$3.42 on $38 is 13.68 percent? I don't see how that works.

They don't take a cut of shipping, since that money is for shipping and handling. That's why eBay set the max at $4 unless it's calc'd. Otherwise people had shit for $1 with $100 shipping to avoid paying fees.

not sure I am reading your comment right..

Ebay started charges fees for shipping at least a year or two ago.

Edit: I stand corrected -- Ebay fees for individual sellers "at auction" are 9% before paypal, discogs is now going to be 8%. It is actually 13% to sell music on ebay under $50 with BIN. I had forgotten they made it absurdly expensive to sell music with BIN!

If you don't mind waiting for your shit to sell, and it's mostly items under $50, discogs is still the way to go for BIN.

If you estimate out how much more $$ discogs is going to be making, I hope for the love of god they can figure out how to get their search results to show up in google shopping.

It happens all the time with BINs on eBay.

There are so many ways to prevent this from happening it's hard to believe it happens "all the time" to you.

Account > Site Preferences > Buyer requirements.

Go to town.

recent activity on my account of blocked bidders:

Feb-29-12 * 0 ( 0%) Feb-26-12 Buyers without a PayPal account

Mar-02-12 * 38 ( 100%) Aug-21-05 Too many Unpaid Item strikes

Mar-15-12 * 21 ( 100%) Jan-30-12 Too many Unpaid Item strikes

I'd say it happens just as much on discogs but possibly more because there are less safeguards.

It happens all the time with BINs on eBay.

There are so many ways to prevent this from happening it's hard to believe it happens "all the time" to you.

Go to town.

I'd say it happens just as much on discogs but possibly more because there are less safeguards.

I didn't know that unpaid buyers could be blocked. Thanks

Go to town.

You can just click the box the make payment required at time of purchasing a BIN.

Also, not only can you block specific bidders by their username, but you can go to account settings and under "site preferences" you can block all bidders that have a certain amount of negative feedback, have opened cases against sellers in the past, etc...

People's ignorance never ceases to amaze me.