PO: The Early November - In Currents

the photo books are nowhere close to being ready to ship. i found out earlier this afternoon that the books have just recently been finished, probably within the last week, and they are on their way to the plant that handled the record pressing. Rise used two different places, one to print the books and one to press the records, and they only placed the order for 1,000 - 100 page books (so 100,000 pages needing printing not even counting the hardbound covers) in early June with a release date of July 10. even to the untrained eye that short window would obviously not be enough time to get the books done on time to meet the release date.

so with the books on their way to whatever plant Rise used for the records, either that plant or Rise themselves will have to package the records inside the books. either way, there is the time it takes for the plant to ship the records to Rise so the covers of the books can be signed by the band. from what a couple other labels have said, Ace is hard to get ahold of to finish these types of things (whether it's approving art, giving the final go ahead of layout, "hand writing" lyric sheets and you can lump in signing 1,000 books into this category too). then there is the time it takes to ship the records from Rise over to Merchnow (Portland ,Oregon to upstate NY) then more shipping time as the books can finally start shipping out to the people who pre-ordered them. bearing in mind pre-orders for this went up sometime in April I believe.

i was told back at the end of July they should be ready to ship August 27. i was also told at that time Rise will be making an announcement about the delays and the new expected ship date, but that never came about. and obviously the August 27 revised ship date never happened either. Today I was told the books should start shipping at the end of this month (September). so this seems to be a revolving door of release dates that keep getting pushed back 1 month at a time. so hopefully these see the light of day before Christmas.

Let's not forget that they'll be on tour in October... I'm thinking Christmas looks about right. :mellow:

• 4 weeks later...

saw this was bumped today and i'll share what i was told on Monday about the books. i decided to email the guy at Rise i've been in contact with since July about the books. i was told the books arrived at the vinyl pressing plant from the book pressing plant 2 weeks ago. apparently the book plant was overseas as the line "arrvied in the US" was used. the vinyl plant, not sure what plant they used, is inserting the records into each book and were expected to ship to Merchnow sometime this week, which is pretty much over as of writing this. why it takes 2 weeks to slip records into sleeves is beyond me. Merchnow should start sending them out next week if all goes to plan. since this has taken so long i'll hold my breath with this new timelines

the band was/is also going to drive up to Merchnow to sign all the books that were pre-ordered. only the pre-ordered copies will be autographed. i was told that on October 1, and the band started their tour today so hopefully they already signed the books. otherwise the new ship date of "next week" will likely be missed since the only other times the band can sign sign the books is this early next week or at the end of the tour, which is at the end of October.

another thing of note is that the books sold very very poorly to say the least. only 300 out of the 1,000 were sold and the band is planning on selling some of the remaining copies of the books on tour. doubt they will get all 700 or so remaining copies though as that's a shitload of books combined with the space and weight they'll take up. so i don't know for sure how the remaining copies will be divided up; if the band will get all of them, if the label will get some or if Merchnow will hold them until the label decides to start sellig them off. a price of $50 was mentioned for the books by themselves though. as mentioned above, unless the band decided to sign additional copies and you get them to sign the book at the show, the books up for sale on tour will most likely not be signed by the band.

• 3 weeks later...

this is one giant clusterfuck, if that wasnt already obvious enough. obviously everything i was told from the guy at Rise did not pan out. so i went ahead and emailed Merchnow about this to get their side of it. both sides have different stories, complete opposite of each other.

Rise says the books will be signed at Merchnow's place, Merchnow says the books will be signed at Rise's place. Rise says the book already shipped to Merchnow, Merchnow says they were told the books havent been shipped to them yet. the only constant in all this is that no one has any clue when the books will start shipping. and when asked you get the answer of soon, sometime this week, sometime in the next few days, in the next couple days, etc. and as all those dates or timeframes get missed, i contact both places again only to get the same answer of this week, next week, in a few days or soon

if these still havent shipped when we go into November, no pun intended, people should cut their losses and start seeking refunds.

• 3 weeks later...

from TEN's facebook

First & foremost, we want to apologize to everyone who's been waiting for the In Currents photo book/LP pre-order. We know it's been a long time. We've seen your questions and complaints, but didn't want to give updates unless we could tell you, with confidence, exactly what was going on. First, a abridged version of why they took so dang long.

When we had the idea to make these, we knew it would be a big undertaking. Once we got to the manufacturing stage, we realized just how big it truly was. Similar books had been made in the past but none that would meet the exact requirements we needed. Turns out, there was no existing template for a 13x13", 100 photo paper page, hardcover book with a sleeve strong enough to hold a vinyl record. A die had to be cut and tested, which is cool because you guys get a pretty unique product but a huge bummer because this adds a bunch of time to the manufacturing process. Combine that to the fact that these we're

being made out of the country but also needed the vinyl records to be inserted (on the west coast of the US) then to be signed by us (on the east coast of the US) and you have some serious delays. MerchNow truly had nothing to do with the delay. They are simply our merchandise fulfillers. We give them stuff to sell for us online and then they ship it. We and Rise Records had the idea to make these. We really wanted them to be awesome and something special. As we learned, doing something like that can sometimes take much longer than expected. The next band who decides to make this item may have a much easier time considering the template now exists (at this particular plant at least). You're welcome other ideological band.

Now the good news: THEY'RE HERE! They arrived earlier today. We'll be signing them first thing tomorrow and then they'll be going out to you early next week. Expect some photos (and a video maybe) of the actual book over the next few days. Again, we truly apologize they took so long but more than anything, your patience has proved that TEN fans are the best fans in the world.

With sincere thanks and gratitude,

The Early November

album.

I enjoyed Too Cold. Mainly due to nostalgia. The rest of their stuff is meh.

I'm sure everyone has that one friend that listens to shitty music all the time. I have one, and he is always jacking off to TEN. That might have something to do with my distaste. He told me that I was a "fucking idiot" if I didn't think that In Currents was in the Top 3 best records of 2012.

So, I guess I'm a fucking idiot.

I listened to this once and wasn't impressed. I rank this at the bottom of my 2012 Rise list along with Sharks.

so Sharks and TEN are poorer than albums released by the likes of Issues, The Acacia Strain, Woe Is Me, In Fear and Faith, Memphis May Fire, Miss May I, etc.? haha I'm just giving you shit, I guess it's weird to see those two albums at the bottom of a 2012 Rise list when that label puts out so much garbage.

my question is, is it worth the price/wait?

For me it was, but then again, they are my favorite band, it could be different for someone else. I understand that delays happen, and I knew I was going to get it eventually. Of course I was excited for it and wanted it sooner, rather than later. As a fan of the band, who collects all kinds of memorabilia, this is an awesome thing to have. There are even a few older photos that I don't think I've seen.