At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command Repress

Oh yea, I didnt think you were accusing anyone. Just confirming that the wholesale on these was extremely high for some reason. I still dont really know why.

I havent seen these in person yet, are the jackets extra thick or is there anything special about these to justify the high price at all?

Sound is incredible. Gatefold is nice, not the best I've seen but definitely quality packaging, the inner sleeve issue that ppl keep bringing up is legit though - crazy static. I'll echo the general sentiment that while a nice overall package with incredible sound, not a $36 (my store's price) album. I needed this album and I was in the "I've been standing here since 5am and I wanna spend money" craze so I picked it up. Hopefully the repress will be cheaper for ppl.

The jacket (although nothing incredible) is a nice, thick gatefold and my records are cut fine and sound great (playing on a pro-Ject table). I agree that logistically it's too expensive but I have no problem paying $35 for it because it looks and sounds really good, and a year ago I probably would've considered picking up a first press for anything less than $50. I had no static on mine pulling them out the sleeves, but I always use the maple shade anti-static brush on every record I spin.

In comparison the $50 TOYPAJ SRC release is IMO the most atrociously marked-up release of the year. The jacket is so whack, with the main pocket coming unglued as soon as you try to slip the LP in, let alone storing the 7"s in their intended place will leave major ring wear all over. The matte finish on everything is horrible, the black looks more like a light gray on mine. Maybe I'm just comparing it to the first or HT press. I've been trying to sell mine for cost and even that is proving to be a challenge.

tl;dr: this release is great and worth the money, other releases not so much.

This really doesn't sound THAT good. There is still a lot of limiting and compression. It certainly doesn't sound bad, I enjoyed it and I'm glad to have it, but it isn't 'incredible'. Just had to put that out there.

And I think the unfortunate answer to the price is 'because they can', as it was relased by the band's label.

This really doesn't sound THAT good. There is still a lot of limiting and compression. It certainly doesn't sound bad, I enjoyed it and I'm glad to have it, but it isn't 'incredible'. Just had to put that out there.

And I think the unfortunate answer to the price is 'because they can', as it was relased by the band's label.

a 45 min record spread out over 4 sides is compressed?

The expectations for records these days are insane

I don't quite get all the people complaing about price. Yes, 32$ for a 2xLP isn't cheap by anymeans. But, it's also 1/3rd - 1/4th the price of what a used copy of the first pressing was going for 6 months ago. Vinyl collecting isn't an inexpensive hobby.

This mindset is what ppl are talking about when they say prices for standard LPs are going up because ppl will pay them. OPs selling for stupid amounts of money don't justify gouging customers on a repress.

a 45 min record spread out over 4 sides is compressed?

The expectations for records these days are insane

I didn't have very high expectations, actually.

It doesn't matter if it's spread acrossed 8 sides, if the eq is limited and/or mastering is compressed, that's the signal sent to the lathe. Spreading it out doesn't magically decompress it.

This mindset is what ppl are talking about when they say prices for standard LPs are going up because ppl will pay them. OPs selling for stupid amounts of money don't justify gouging customers on a repress.

It doesn't justify it, but there is also no way to know specifically if we are getting 'gouged'.  Being that it wasn't repressed by the original label (which has now closed up shop), it's hard to say what costs were involved in the licensing of the album.

In terms of my mindset, I'm ok with it.  I don't really like paying 32$ for a 2xLP, unnecesarily marked up or otherwise.  But, I would also rather have the album on my shelf for that price than for $150.

I would also have to say that this isn't the worst 'markup' that I've seen.  Modern Fidelity's $30 pressing of Weezer - Blue Album seems like a much better example (but once again this falls under the umbrella of not auctually knowing what licensing costs were).

It doesn't justify it, but there is also no way to know specifically if we are getting 'gouged'.  Being that it wasn't repressed by the original label (which has now closed up shop), it's hard to say what costs were involved in the licensing of the album.

In terms of my mindset, I'm ok with it.  I don't really like paying 32$ for a 2xLP, unnecesarily marked up or otherwise.  But, I would also rather have the album on my shelf for that price than for $150.

I would also have to say that this isn't the worst 'markup' that I've seen.  Modern Fidelity's $30 pressing of Weezer - Blue Album seems like a much better example (but once again this falls under the umbrella of not auctually knowing what licensing costs were).

Grand Royal isn't around anymore, but Fearless Records has not 'closed up shop'.

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's issue of 'Weezer' is remastered from original tapes, and is the same price as any other single LP 'Original Master Recording' from the label. They provide a premium product all around from mastering to pressing to the quality of the jackets and inner sleeves. $30 is well worth it for the presentation of that album. Not really a fair comparison here.

Also, this pressing of 'Relationship' is released by the band's own label, whom I believe have the rights now. So, that wouldn't factor in to the markup.

most of what you said here shows you have no clue what you're talking about. you calling them "modern fidelity" shows you definitely have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

most of what you said here shows you have no clue what you're talking about. you calling them "modern fidelity" shows you definitely have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

A little harsh, I'm sure they've been misnamed more than a few times around here before. But, it was overall misinformed.

$32 today, $38 tommorow, $40 the month after that. It will keep inching up with this mindest as long as there is a "vinyl boom" in progress. Take in mind prices are steadily rising because those in charge of pricing take into account your mindset with their own greed. They know you'd rather pay $32 instead of $150 (as would I  - it is substantially less) so you will probably have to if you want the record for cheaper than eBay prices. That does not justify the price tag being $32 when it should be much less. Most of the people in charge aren't worried about cutting you the greatest deal in the world. They are worried about making their money and getting it while the getting is good.

I understand having to get it for $32 because it's either that or $150, but you don't have to be cool with it. Just take in mind the second you let them know you are cool with $32 pricing they'll assume you'll be cool with $38. They know as long as they keep it under $150 you've got your shades and a beach towel ready to swim.

everybody needs to calm down. this isn't an indie label licensing all your favorite teenage records and charging $25 for a single LP limited to 500 to make a profit. this is a label is the band reissuing a few of their records that people really want. Spending or not spending the extra $5-7 isn't going to send them or not send them a message.

I'm not saying I didn't pay it. Because I agree that $32 is better than $150. The vinyl industry right now is an excellent microcosm of pure capitalism. However as we all know from economics class, pure capitalism is destined to fail because of the inherent greed of the human element. The music industry makes the same mistakes over and over again and they wonder why they are hurting. It makes me sad that I play a part in the machine but (for now at least) I'm not willing to pass up on a release I want and can afford, which makes all of my outrage and bluster ultimately hollow.

Vinyl prices have been shitty for about 2-3 years now. It is tough to find a new single LP release for under $15.99 these days, when 3-4 years ago most single LP releases were $10-$12.

I bought way too many records in 2012 and the first few months of 2013 and my plan is to slow the fuck down from here on out. I love records, and I totally understand that the cost to manufacture an LP is far greater than the cost of manufacturing a CD was/is, but this is all too reminecent of the CD "boom" when I was a kid/teenager and all the new releases were over $16.99 at Blockbuster Music. 

Greed is a bastard.

With all of that said, I am a total sucker, I dropped a stupid amount of money on Record Store Day, on shit that I KNOW I could have lived without. Fuck me.

Vinyl prices have been shitty for about 2-3 years now. It is tough to find a new single LP release for under $15.99 these days, when 3-4 years ago most single LP releases were $10-$12.

I bought way too many records in 2012 and the first few months of 2013 and my plan is to slow the fuck down from here on out. I love records, and I totally understand that the cost to manufacture an LP is far greater than the cost of manufacturing a CD was/is, but this is all too reminecent of the CD "boom" when I was a kid/teenager and all the new releases were over $16.99 at Blockbuster Music. 

Greed is a bastard.

With all of that said, I am a total sucker, I dropped a stupid amount of money on Record Store Day, on shit that I KNOW I could have lived without. Fuck me.

/pricing arguement.