Doing Healthy Shit Sucks.

seriously.

i decided to try and lose my belly again, about 5 days ago, so i started this two week cleansing diet thing, and about 4 miles of cardio every other day.

i went got some detox/cleansing supplements and i'm eating nothing but fiber (oatmeal or dry cereal) , greens, and fruit, with a dinner time only serving of beans, fish, or chicken for protein.

oh, and i'm only drinking water, aside from the milk in my cereal. i've been avoiding dairy completely except for this, and i don't use much milk, either.

considering i used to eat fast food and drink beer almost every day this is pretty amazing/horrible, terrible i fucking want a burger and a beer now fuck.

also, the wife went and got us a bike for exercising, so i've been taking it up to this lake a few blocks away and riding around it with some tunes in my head.

it's nice.

seriously though, all i can think about is burgers and pizza and beer.

anyone ever been through this?

did you get any results?

i just hoping i'm not doing all these horrible things for nothing.

I never followed a specific regimen or anything, but I dropped unhealthy shit from my diet one thing at a time over a couple of years and lost 40% of myself in the process.

Started with soda, red meat, fast food, fried foods, and so on. Really wasn't all that hard, especially when you start noticing results. Living without cheeseburgers > being fat.

I'm trying to do the same thing right now, just have not figured out a good way since I can't cook and don't know what to eat when I'm working. I really need to drop pop, I drink way too much, and it's certainly contributing to my weight.

after awhile, you are pretty disgusted by just the thought of fast food. mcdonalds usually makes me feel slightly ill after eating it now but i honestly can't remember the last time i had fast food.

the biggest thing you need to remember is that everything needs to be done in moderation. after your initial cleanse that you said you're doing now, you should stick to a diet that you can live with. i.e. things like pizza and burgers are ok sometimes - just not as part of a regular diet.

incidentally, i just watched an interesting documentary today called 'fat, sick and nearly dead' about juice cleansing. not sure how much medical validity there is to it, but it was worth a watch.

after awhile, you are pretty disgusted by just the thought of fast food. mcdonalds usually makes me feel slightly ill after eating it now but i honestly can't remember the last time i had fast food.

the biggest thing you need to remember is that everything needs to be done in moderation. after your initial cleanse that you said you're doing now, you should stick to a diet that you can live with. i.e. things like pizza and burgers are ok sometimes - just not as part of a regular diet.

this

thats what i intend to do.

once i kick things, i'm pretty good at avoiding them.

it's going back and trying them again after kicking them that i'm worried about.

if i have a burger 2 weeks from now (which i might, just to celebrate), i'm worried i might go right back to eating them every day, just because they are seriously that amazing to me.

i guess we'll have to wait and see.

if i get really great results, i might not want to eat that stuff again.

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead was great. My wife and I have switched our diet to an alkaline based one. We juice carrots, cukes and celery for breakfast and lunch and eat a reasonable dinner. Tonight I grilled some chicken after marinating it in a Balsamic/ Olive Oil/ Red Wine mix and added the chicken to a big azz salad with the same mix on it. Love it, never any leftovers.

We cut out coffee, but that is only temporary while we purge toxins. We enjoy it too much to give up forever. We are otherwise drinking water, Kombucha and hot tea. Even my 17 year old daughter is onboard with this, so I think anyone can do it.

I had to eat at BK a week ago while I was out working with a friend and it was just nasty nasty nasty. I am so glad I am not living on that crap anymore. I can't afford health insurance or health care, but I can change my diet to help prevent needing them.

while we purge toxins.

This is not a thing. This is a health related buzz word that helps sell shit that nobody needs. It ranks up there with homeopathy, healing crystals, and auras.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/02/15/146927835/can-a-diet-clean-out-toxins-in-the-body

If, however, you mean eating less processed foods and switching to more natural, wholesome, and local foods, then by all means keep at it. You'll feel better because you're eating better.

My girlfriend recently did a 30-day detox, basically dropped dairy, caffeine, red meat, alcohol, sugar, etc... from her diet. She's a runner so she always works out as is and we both eat relatively healthy anyways, but the she saw some good results. And has taken a lot from that month and doesn't drink a lot of coffee or eat a lot of cheese anymore. I don't know how she skipped caffeine the most because she's a nurse and frequently works 12-hour night shifts. Really made me question the 2-3 cups of tea I drink on weekday mornings at work.

Since she's the chef in the house the detox also effected me, I lost a handful of pounds from the change in diet. I never eat fast food, but I kind of let up on alcohol that month since we weren't going out and boozing. I lost probably 3-5 pounds and my only real exercise is playing hockey.

You can change some very small things in your diet that will help big time. Start by cutting out one thing and build from there.

I'm lucky, I'm the "fattest" I've ever been now at a mean 160lbs.

My weight trickles up a pound or two, then I realize I need to do something active again. I play hockey anywhere from 1-4 times a week, run practice so I'm on the ice another 4-6 times a week during the winter, ride my bike as much as I can, coach lacrosse, walk my dog..

In my opinion, an active lifestyle is more important than the food. I'm sure I luck out with my genes, but I drink pepsi like it's mandatory to live, eat chicken finger subs once a week, mighty taco a little more than that.. but that stuff can be cancelled out if you DO something. If you live a sedentary lifestyle (e.g. cubicle work for 40+ hours, then go home and watch TV til bed), you can eat the most healthy shit in the world and still struggle.

Went vegan and cut 50lbs went back to veg on carb/protein diet and gained 90.

I would say being healthy sucks, but I've been eating veg(an) since I was 6 (16 years.) so basically PBS ruined my childhood of good tasting meats :/

Since I've been lazy I'm at 240lbs at 6'6" and started walking with my GF....soon I'll be loading up on my diet to get to around 280lb for the fest. Then I will be all sexy for the pool parties ;)

I don't mean this to come off in a dick way, but I'm sure it will...

I can't imagine being as focused on my body as you seem to be. Any time something like this comes up, you talk about your diet and your weight cycles. That's nuts. I'm glad I'm consistent and keep a steady weight, because it seems to be way more effort than I'd ever want to put in to do what you do.

Seriously, I don't mean it in a bad way, it just baffles me how much effort you seem to put into it.

things like burgers and pizza can be pretty healthy and delicious. just avoid mcdonalds and pizza hut. if you are craving a burger, go to the grocery and buy either some lean ground beef or pure steak burgers. season lightly, BBQ then throw it on a fresh baked whole wheat bun from a bakery (not wonder bread) load it with fresh veggies and go easy on the condiments. fresh, yummy and pretty healthy overall. burgers are not unhealthy. its the preservatives and shit and grease that gets added that makes you fat. hell, if you're feeling brave try a veggie burger instead of a meat patty. just no fries on the side.

and as for pizza, make a homemade pizza. either make your own dough or get a fresh dough ball from the grocery store. use an all natural tomato sauce and lower fat cheese. put all the veggie toppings you want on it, just avoid things like pepperoni. bake at home and its actually a pretty balanced meal of carbs, protein, calcium, and veggies.

I never followed a specific regimen or anything, but I dropped unhealthy shit from my diet one thing at a time over a couple of years and lost 40% of myself in the process.

Started with soda, red meat, fast food, fried foods, and so on. Really wasn't all that hard, especially when you start noticing results. Living without cheeseburgers > being fat.

this. about 2 months ago i just decided to start working out again and eating really healthy for the first time in my life. cut out ALL sweets, excessive bread, icecream, hamburgers, ham, fast food, etc etc. also eat small portion sizes throughout the day. if i eat out for lunch i cut the chicken in half and rice and veggies and package it up for later. i try to eat 5 smaller sized meals/snacks throughout the day.

pretty much just woke up and started eating the opposite how i always have. was around 158 when i started. work out on my kinect lol. now done to 144, which is more than i really wanted to since i wanted to build muscle. all i eat is chicken chicken and more chicken. egg white omelets with turkey or chicken, corn tortillas with food, yogurt, cliff bars, oj, water, milk, mixed nuts, pretzels, broccoli, green beans, salads with just olive oil. i have learned that i do not really miss any of the shit i have ate my whole life. i have always been a really picky eater so it was/is difficult eating healthy, but it has been awesome since i am living with the repetitiveness. i do not even buy the other stuff and threw it all away 2 months ago. i have the willpower to now sit and watch others eat pizza, dessert, etc etc. everyone is like cmon cheat, live a little, and i just stick to my guns.

anyway enough shinfo. congrats and best of luck.

I was thinking of this thread again while I was at lacrosse.

I have a friend from college who takes the weightloss shit to the extreme so much that he never has a beer, pizza, wings, anything. He's miserable, but boy does he weigh a lot less! There's got to be a balance somewhere... if you feel you're 20 pounds overweight, is it better to cut out everything that's unhealthy and miss it and weigh your ideal, or limit it but still enjoy it sometimes and be 10 pounds overweight?

I dunno, I love food and eating. I just ate a 14" chicken finger sub because it was delicious. If I couldn't eat a chicken finger sub ever, I'd reconsider whether it was truly important for me to be my ideal weight.

But I sincerely believe it goes back to lifestyle. If you get in a habit of working out or just playing games (I hate working out, that's part of why I play so much hockey is because it makes exercise fun) then you don't have to pain yourself so much. I mean, just look at the title of this thread...

i dont know how i got so lucky, but my metabolism is freakish. regardless of my dieting or how active ive been at any given time, ive maintained a 155-160 weight for about 7 years now.

but now that im getting "older" i definitely see the necessity in balancing my eating habits. ever since i moved out of my parents house, and started shopping for myself, its been a lot easier to make small adjustments. fat free milk instead of 2%, whole grain bread instead of white, more juice less soda, better cereals (kind of).

a lot of it is more geared towards dental upkeep though. i was never disciplined in caring for my teeth, and got sick of cavities.

things like burgers and pizza can be pretty healthy and delicious. just avoid mcdonalds and pizza hut. if you are craving a burger, go to the grocery and buy either some lean ground beef or pure steak burgers. season lightly, BBQ then throw it on a fresh baked whole wheat bun from a bakery (not wonder bread) load it with fresh veggies and go easy on the condiments. fresh, yummy and pretty healthy overall. burgers are not unhealthy. its the preservatives and shit and grease that gets added that makes you fat. hell, if you're feeling brave try a veggie burger instead of a meat patty. just no fries on the side.

and as for pizza, make a homemade pizza. either make your own dough or get a fresh dough ball from the grocery store. use an all natural tomato sauce and lower fat cheese. put all the veggie toppings you want on it, just avoid things like pepperoni. bake at home and its actually a pretty balanced meal of carbs, protein, calcium, and veggies.

fast food burgers are a billion times more delicious than a home burger, and pizza hut is also the best tasting pizza out there in my opinion. it's just because i've been eating that stuff my whole life.

i was pretty much programmed as a child that mcdonalds was the best, most amazing place in the world, which made me love the food as well.

i still feel this way, but i'm rockin' this diet and i've already lost 3 pounds in 6 days, and noticed quite a shrink in my gut.

(the cleanser is making some of the strangest things come out of my body)

i did another four mile bike today, and had a spinach/kidney bean/onion salad for dinner.

it's horrible, but once i'm thin i'll be able to enjoy what i want to again. just less often of course.

i probably miss beer most of all. i'm actually aware of how annoying my children are, now.

this isn't completely related, but have you gotten your wisdom teeth out yet? I lost 20 pounds (180-160) because of that bull shit. all I've done since then (last august) is eat like shit and I'm still at the same weight. I'm sure the heart attack will catch up with me soon.

so I'd say get some kind of dental work done if you get desperate/can tolerate your mouth feeling terrible

and drinking coffee helps curb my appetite, but I don't think that's very healthy, haha

To almightyseancore, you're crazy if you think fast food burgers are tastier than homemade burgers! I LOVE homemade burgers, especially when I get crazy with the spices.

I forget what my friend called it, but I have this ridiculous recipe for a burger that involves smoked cheddar, 2 parts beef to 1 part italian sausage, liquid smoke, diced onion mixed in, and pancake batter. Yes, pancake batter. It makes a beautifully smokey, juicy burger that gives me a food-boner. I feel like I may be missing an ingredient or two...