I got a new guitar!

DW is anything but affordable.

The PDP (Pacific) kits are perfect for what you are looking for and they are all over the used market. The PDP kits go for cheap and they'll be better than any Pearl/Ludwig/Gretsch kit you're going to find for under $800. Those bigger better companies only get good when you hit their upper/mid level stuff. Although, a Gretsch Catalina Club set might pop up for around $300-$400 and be worth the cash. I'd find a kit for about $500 and put your focus into a decent snare and cymbals. Until you learn how to properly tune a drum set (which takes years of practice and is still botched by many "touring" acts) what is really going to matter is your snare sound and your cymbals. The Zildjian A custom line is fairly affordable, all over the used market and fairly versatile. New you can get a big crash for roughly $225 and they go used for $150 pretty regularly.

DW is anything but affordable.

The PDP (Pacific) kits are perfect for what you are looking for and they are all over the used market. The PDP kits go for cheap and they'll be better than any Pearl/Ludwig/Gretsch kit you're going to find for under $800. Those bigger better companies only get good when you hit their upper/mid level stuff. Although, a Gretsch Catalina Club set might pop up for around $300-$400 and be worth the cash. I'd find a kit for about $500 and put your focus into a decent snare and cymbals. Until you learn how to properly tune a drum set (which takes years of practice and is still botched by many "touring" acts) what is really going to matter is your snare sound and your cymbals. The Zildjian A custom line is fairly affordable, all over the used market and fairly versatile. New you can get a big crash for roughly $225 and they go used for $150 pretty regularly.

Thank you also

I've been dying to get a new guitar or two now that I'm not 17 and have grown out of my asinine pointy, br00tal guitar phase but it's not in the cards any time soon. I did however recently convince a friend that had a violin he never played to trade me it for some artwork so I'm stoked about that. As far as either of us know it's just some entry level no-name knock off and I need to buy new strings for it but I'm excited nonetheless since I've always wanted to learn to play violin and cello. Just hoping it's not too much of a challenge to adjust to since I've never played anything fretless before.

vrD4X.jpg

• 3 months later...

At my work they're trying to get rid of a bunch of display models for super cheap, so I couldn't pass up a crazy-ass deal on this bad boy. I've always wanted a tele ever since I started playing and this was my Wayne's World "she will be mine" moment.

8402771103_5bc31bb7b8_c.jpg

8403863048_fcea12c912.jpg

It had been in the store for at least 5 years, and had a lot of a little chips on some of the metal frets that made bending the strings around the octave really fucked up.  So I had to get the frets leveled and crowned at a repair shop in LA, which came out amazing:  

8403863524_47be554689_z.jpg

8403906490_490d426d25_n.jpg

It's basically better than it would have been brand new out the factory.  And even after the cost of the repair it was a steal, couldn't be happier about it

I'm not a huge fan of that wood look on the body of an electric but sweet!

Yeah, the natural body takes some getting used to, but to each their own.  I loved it the first time I saw it.  

My other main guitar I've had for years is a Gibson LP double cutaway with a bright sunburst color and a rosewood neck, so I just wanted a guitar that would provide me with a totally different sound (and look).

(Couldn't help a pic, she's my baby)

8403976260_95bc1348c9_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

i had a rondo. just changed the bridge pup with a bare knuckle and that's all it took. if you don't like heavy guitars (weight) i wouldn't get one. they are heavy as all hell. but for the price they are great even with stock pups, depending on which model you get. obviously the cheaper ones might need a few more things changed (nut, bridge, tuners, etc) i had a 3100 and it was superb. even with the stock pick-ups its far more superior than a epiphone les paul for the same price. 

My house got hit with a power surge a few years ago (killed some tvs and stuff). I had two instrument chords. One of them stopped working.

Is this even possible? I wouldn't think a surge could kill a chord but I think it was working one day and not the next (this was a couple years ago, I just threw the chord in a closet). Or is it just chance and it broke cause of something else?

Just a tip for all, if anyone has a Best Buy near them that has a musical instruments department (there aren't many) and are looking for gear you should definitely hit it up. The company decided to stop carrying instruments in most stores and 90% of the department went to clearance discounts starting Sunday. Some stores have been selling off all display models already for bigger discounts as well.  Here's a list of the stores:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2013/mi/pr/MI_Clear_031513.pdf

Most of the guitars/drums/keyboards are marked down below cost. Some stuff hasn't been taken down in price though.

My store doesn't have a TON of stuff left but there's a decent amount, about 30-35 guitars and 15 or so basses.  I'm looking into an American made special strat for about 539.99 plus tax (list price 899)..There's also a sweet pawn shop mustang for less than $500.   After the recent buy though (telecaster at the top of the page) haven't felt the need to look at other guitars.  I love that thing.

I can't guarantee that every store is discontinuing that stuff especially larger stores like LA and NY, just most of them.  I'm pretty sure it's company-wide though.