Question for Chicago area folk

Next weekend Im gonna be in ths suburbs(Schaumburg) for a business trip and Sunday I plan on doing a little record hunting. What are your suggestions of where to go around up there? I know Schaumburg has a Hot Topic, do they have a decent selection of vinyl? Any responses would be appreciated! Thanks

Up there? I guess they have a decent selection, but being so close to Chicago proper, why not venture into the city?

Reckless, Saki, Record Breakers, Permanent Records, Groovin' High (if they're open), and for being a chain that's not based here, The Exchange on Milwaukee and Belmont (two separate stores) can yeild good finds occasionally, depending on what you're looking for.

Up there? I guess they have a decent selection, but being so close to Chicago proper, why not venture into the city?

Reckless, Saki, Record Breakers, Permanent Records, Groovin' High (if they're open), and for being a chain that's not based here, The Exchange on Milwaukee and Belmont (two separate stores) can yeild good finds occasionally, depending on what you're looking for.

Im only gonna have about an hour and a half to maybe 2 hour window of free time on Sunday so unfortunately im not gonna be able to go up into the city. Im just wondering if there are any places in the Schaumburg to Bollingbrook area

I would suggest going straight East from there and checking out Reckless on Broadway and Milwaukee. Permanent Records is slightly South of the Milwaukee location for Reckless and is more than worth the trip. Schaumburg could easily be seen as an uncultured suburb of middle to upper-middle class wealth and there is basically no proper record store in the immediate area that I know of. You're really not far from the Northern end of the City at point so its much more wise to venture in as idreamofpunk has stated.

As for the Hot Topic in Woodfield mall, it indeed does have one of the largest selections of vinyl of all the Hot Topics in the Chicagoland area. Definitely worth Checking out. Plus, the malls has a neat system of slightly slanted ramps bridging the different sections of the upper levels so you can pretend you're in a shopping mall in the future while walking. Can't beat that!

Of course, it really all depends on what kinds of titles you're looking for. I have not been to the Woodfield Hot Topic in a few years but when I talk to those who have been more recently, they still say that the large selection remains present there.

Yikes. YEah, the Woodfield HT may be your best bet on your limited window of time, but don't be surprised if you don't find a whole lot. Unless you're into a lot of what HT has to offer in the first place. It's a decently sized selection, but it's HT selection.

Plus, the malls has a neat system of slightly slanted ramps bridging the different sections of the upper levels so you can pretend you're in a shopping mall in the future while walking. Can't beat that!

This made me laugh.

i live about ten mins from the mall it has a pretty normal ht record selection. There are to real record stores that aren't in the city there is no way you can make it to the city check out records and back in two hours. Just chill for two hours. Shit if you really wanna do something go to the Arlington park race track you can probably catch three races in that time.

I will say though that the Schaumburg Hot Topic is one of the better more stocked Hot Topics I've been to. The closest hot topic to me(Gurnee) has been cutting back on the selection, but I went up to schaumburg to hit up Ikea not too long ago and thought they had a really good selection (of obviously releases Hot topic carries).

Yikes. YEah, the Woodfield HT may be your best bet on your limited window of time, but don't be surprised if you don't find a whole lot. Unless you're into a lot of what HT has to offer in the first place. It's a decently sized selection, but it's HT selection.
Plus, the malls has a neat system of slightly slanted ramps bridging the different sections of the upper levels so you can pretend you're in a shopping mall in the future while walking. Can't beat that!

This made me laugh.

Good shit!

Portillos is boss! The ribs are badass. Chop salad is a favorite of mine....or is it the Chef's salad? Whatever. They've got an awesome salad there. A couple actually.

Ive been known to take down a Big Beef dipped, 2 chili cheese dogs and a cheese fry in one sitting.

I wouldnt be caught dead in a Hot Topic so Id pass there if I were you. Unless youre 15 and female...

that's hoss man. wow. i tend to go to Al's for the beef around my place... so I forget about the Portillo's... even though it is stellar. the chili cheese dogs are awesomesauce.

• 3 months later...