PO: Sigur Ros-Valtari

anyone know how many of these Test Presses there are?

There was just under 50 stores that participated in the listening parties so that's about 50 test pressings right there. I'm willing to bet there's 75-100 of them.

so if 45 stores participated, why would you think 75-100? just curious....id guess more like 50-60....leaving 5-15 for band members and label people....just my opinion who really knows....I emailed XL about it....still havent got a response from them! let everyone know if i do

There was just under 50 stores that participated in the listening parties so that's about 50 test pressings right there. I'm willing to bet there's 75-100 of them.

so if 45 stores participated, why would you think 75-100? just curious....id guess more like 50-60....leaving 5-15 for band members and label people....just my opinion who really knows....I emailed XL about it....still havent got a response from them! let everyone know if i do

I guessed that number due to a few reasons. One obviously being the extras for the band/friends of the band/people from the label etc etc and the other being extras made in case there were more stores that would have signed up for the listening party before the deadline. I don't know, if there's more than 10-15 of a test pressing, it's just another variant to me.

I guessed that number due to a few reasons. One obviously being the extras for the band/friends of the band/people from the label etc etc and the other being extras made in case there were more stores that would have signed up for the listening party before the deadline. I don't know, if there's more than 10-15 of a test pressing, it's just another variant to me.

I think you guys are confusing "test presses" with "promo copies" - completely different things.

I think you guys are confusing "test presses" with "promo copies" - completely different things.

No. Test pressings were given away at all the listening parties. I've been buying records my whole life so yes, I know the difference between a promo and a test pressing.

I don't think there are overruns of test copies

For most records, yes, there would be no overruns of a test pressing (since obviously the purpose of a test is to evaluate the quality of the disc production). This LP was handled a bit differently since they gave so many away at listening parties. They also anticipated more shops to sign up before the deadline so there were definitely extra made. I got this info from the person that handled the listening party at the shop I work at.

Thanks for the Info NothingNatural! I hear ya how, they could vary well, just make 10, 20, 30 more test presses....its really up to the label/plant....I know some plants will do like 5 or 10 and thats it, and others do closer to 50....I think it depends on the size of the release....and the bands preference for quality......For example my friend just put out a 7" (real cheap, 200 total) and they did 5 test presses....

Like all Nine Inch Nails CD-s are dikipak, all Sigur Ros records are non-gatefold. I think they are going to continue the tradition, unfortunately.

Huh? Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral came in jewel cases.

there is a digipack version of Downward Spiral too. not sure about pretty hate machine.

I went shopping today and one record store actually had the album on sale early on vinyl and cd. I would have got it then but I had already preordered online. Got home and some idiot postman had left my delivery of Valtari on the doorstep! It has been a hot day here so I am really annoyed about this. I haven't tried playing it yet, but it looks ok. Regardless I'm complaining to the postal service. The vinyl was hot upon touching.

And for who want to know, the release with the cd is a gatefold and the cd is contained in a card sleeve inside, separate from the vinyl packaging.