Real Estate Questions

I have a house that I have owned free and clear for a couple years. I am guessing it worth $35k, maybe $40 on the best day. I've been saving for a couple years and should have another $35k by the end of the summer. I am considering moving up a housing level. I want to thoroughly think out all of the costs, though, to determine if it is worth it or it makes sense to just sit tight for a little longer. I don't HAVE to do anything.

1) Real estate agent cut on both sales (I'm fairly sure I won't do a for sale by owner). Are agents usually willing to take lower cuts if you can give them a sale and a buy?

2) Fixed costs (home inspection, title insurance, etc...). How much would these add up without a bank mortgage involved?

3) Moving. I can do this myself in one day. No cost, except maybe renting a truck. Just a pain in the ass.

4) Tax implications?

Anything else to consider?

320 to 90. The housing market is such shit.

It's Florida property, they tanked the worse! It's mainly Snowbird/Vacation area.

So I would probably pay 5% on the price of both houses to the agent? If I sold at 30k and bought at 60k I would pay 45 hundred to move up 30K? Not sure that is worth it. Just wanted to make sure I am thinking about this correctly.

You would pay the 5% of the Agent, plus the closing cost of selling (taxes, fees, title transfer.) Unless you have silver tongue to negotiate the splitting of cost for selling + buying. A main factor is the timing, it's not cheap to maintain a house that is on the market for months.

I will probably be looking into real estate in Arizona in the very near future. I will be in the Phoenix area, and it is totally a buyer's market right now, so I am hoping to find a nice ass place for not a lot of $ 8-)

you shouldn't be paying the agent their commission for a purchase. That usually falls on the seller / owner.

That makes this feasible. If I can get 3% to the agent on the sale of mine plus taxes (and not have to pay an agent fee on the other one) I might get out with about $2k of costs on the move.

I'm gonna sell this house eventually...so its not like I can avoid the costs. Just a question of paying them now or later. I guess the key is finding a house in the $60k range that I will want to hang on to for a while.

As for timing, I am targeting the fall. Should be good on the seasonality cycle.

What is a percentage to the agent for selling my house that would be considered an "A" rate. Do people sometimes get 1 or 2%?

you shouldn't be paying the agent their commission for a purchase. That usually falls on the seller / owner.

Seller of the house pays both commissions. When he buys the owner of the house he's buying pays both.

I have an aunt who's an agent and having one in the family has saved a lot of money as she handles this stuff for everyone.

That makes this feasible. If I can get 3% to the agent on the sale of mine plus taxes (and not have to pay an agent fee on the other one) I might get out with about $2k of costs on the move.

I'm gonna sell this house eventually...so its not like I can avoid the costs. Just a question of paying them now or later. I guess the key is finding a house in the $60k range that I will want to hang on to for a while.

As for timing, I am targeting the fall. Should be good on the seasonality cycle.

What is a percentage to the agent for selling my house that would be considered an "A" rate. Do people sometimes get 1 or 2%?

I've never sold a house so I'm not sure how the commission is calculated. Be aware I was referring to you buying a new house. As a buyer, you should pay no commissions. When you sell your house, you will pay both commissions to the buying and selling agent. The buyer of your house may try to get you to pay for closing costs but you are not obligated to do so. Much like you may request of a seller. But like you said, its a buyers market which means sellers have less leverage in negotiating a sale.

as far as az goes - I live here. Bought a house in scottsdale last year. I think it depends on where you want to live. LOTS of investors. Scottsdale is a desirable place to live so its not uncommon for properties to receive multiple offers. Glendale, maricopa, etc. May be a different story. Chandler is nice as well. There are certain places in phoenix, tempe and mesa that I personally would not want to own a home in but you find a deal if you're ok with the area.

ps. I think my agent received a 2% commission on my house

I saw a foreclosure house sell for $14k recently. A hoarder lived in it so you basically were buying a shell.

I almost bought a Horder House, he passed away sitting in his living space.

The house was 17.5k w/ 10% down lol

I was lawling while driving to the record shop yesterday (it's in the ghetto.) There was a must sell house sign for $14.5k and $19k was the highest I saw posted there.

Cleveland Housing market = the price of a VCR

yeah, you can. but chances are it will be a property that needs a LOT of work. investors buy them, fix them up and rent them.

for example:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2806-W-Latham-St-Phoenix-AZ-85009/7513339_zpid/

i say keep the tagging in the bedroom, what do you think? it adds a unique charm.

or this place, which apparently the listing agent wont even walk into:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1561-W-Peoria-Ave-Phoenix-AZ-85029/7782094_zpid/

the house next door to me is for sale. the other neighbor and i have been cutting the grass so there is an iota of curb appeal. not that it matters because the guy across the street cut down a huge tree in his front yard and left it all there. we also now have a bright pink house and mint green house on our street. fuck home ownership, seriously.

sorry, i have nothing of value to add. just when i think about selling my house i get all super pissed off at how no one tries to make anything look nice on my street.

yeah, you can. but chances are it will be a property that needs a LOT of work. investors buy them, fix them up and rent them.

for example:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2806-W-Latham-St-Phoenix-AZ-85009/7513339_zpid/

i say keep the tagging in the bedroom, what do you think? it adds a unique charm.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1561-W-Peoria-Ave-Phoenix-AZ-85029/7782094_zpid/

Former drug dealer and/or hoarder houses.

for example:

They honestly blow my mind, that first one especially. While being slightly crackden like, over here would still sell for maybe $150k in my town. And with a new roof, paint, any kind of lawn/garden work and a bit of new drywall would go for upwards of 200k.

What kind of cesspools do you guys live in haha or is America really that far gone as a whole?

for example:

They honestly blow my mind, that first one especially. While being slightly crackden like, over here would still sell for maybe $150k in my town. And with a new roof, paint, any kind of lawn/garden work and a bit of new drywall would go for upwards of 200k.

What kind of cesspools do you guys live in haha or is America really that far gone as a whole?

No, mostly just the rust belt. Phoenix, despite being a big city is really a big suburb. I've been looking into apartments here and a crappy 1 BR is around 200k in Oakland, in San Francisco it'd be like 700k sadly.