Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

See, I used to be way into the vintage audio. I had a full Marantz setup. 2330B receiver, 6200 turntable, and Imperial 5G speakers. And then I was offered a ridiculous deal on a set of Boston Acoustics VR-3s and they blew me away. Then I was offered a ridiculous deal on a Rotel RA-1062, and it blew me away. So then I decided to get a Pro-Ject 1.3, and again, blown away. I did blind tests with every piece to make sure I wasn't just going "Oh new is better", but every time I chose the modern piece over the vintage.

As for my friend, he runs Sound and Imaging Concepts, his name is Steve. General, yes, but for his regards, I'll leave last names out of it.

I'm always careful not to take too much of a stance in the new vs. vintage argument; I think that the fun of all this high-end audio junk is experimenting and discovering the setup that's best for you. I certainly would never begrudge anyone the new route, and truth be told, I can definitely see myself blowing a big wad on a modern turntable and speakers in the future. I do love my vintage receivers / amps ... although my next project is to upgrade with an DIY MC pre-amp, which means that I'm going to need to spend some coin on a MC cart as well.

I chose vintage because it (potentially) gives you the biggest bang for your buck. Gear from the 70s was built to last ... and a lot of it has done just that. Not only that, but back then, vinyl was the shit and these companies poured a ton of their resources into making some really awesome stuff. Plus, I just love the aesthetic of the vintage equipment and I'm also getting into the restoration / repair part of it as well

Perhaps more importantly, comparing mid-fi equipment from today and yesteryear, I just don't think there has been a ton of advancement in the technology. Maybe in tone arms, but if we look at what makes a good turntable, in the broadest sense we're searching for a machine with a rock-steady, quiet motor and for the base / plinth / tonearm / etc etc to be as acoustically dead as possible. In other words, wow and flutter is bad, as is resonance and vibration. In my experience, there are vintage decks that meet those qualifications just as well as modern decks, if not better. Of course, it works the other way too - there are new TTs that best older machines as well.

I've never heard the 6200 but I've read positive things. it's certainly not the most talked about vintage turntable ... or those Imperial speakers, for that matter. What cart were you using? Now that 2330B ... I bet that was pretty awesome. I'm curious as to whether or not you ever tried to work the 6200 back into the system once you got the new amp / speakers, or if you tried a few different combinations of new / old. Is that what your blind tests were or did you just compare the old system to the new?

Anyway, my opinion is that there's great vintage equipment and there's sweet new gear as well. Seems like you're pretty stoked on your current setup, and if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters!

Not familiar with Steve, but Sound and Imaging Concepts looks rad. Good to know there's a company like this in Charlotte!

just a quick question maybe someone can help me out. i'm fixing a few low end turntables to sell and i'm having some trouble with this one. the tone arm keeps sliding to a certain spot on the record almost all the way to the middle of the record. there is no way to adjust the tone arm so i tried setting a coin on top of it but no luck. any other suggestions ?

Hard to say without knowing the TT model and cartridge. So you're saying that there's no anti-skate knob or any type of string / pulley / weight assembly on the tonearm? And there's no way to adjust VTA or tracking force either?

My first suggestion was going to be to make sure that the tonearm is set up as it should be. Is it balanced? Do you have the tracking force set to the cartridge's specifications? Is the cartridge aligned properly?

If this is truly a low end table and you can't adjust any of that (and there's no anti-skate mechanism) then my guess would be that there's something wrong with the tonearm or the auto-cue mechanism, in which case you would need some real intimate knowledge of the inner-workings of the table before you could fix it.

Best bet - google the TT model and "skating" or "anti-skate" and see what comes up. Maybe others have had similar problems.

ok, I'm looking into buying a new turntable for around $100. Should I go vintage or should I get a new one? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well, I'm on a roll tonight, so why not one more?

As you can see from my above posts, I'm definitely a fan of vintage turntables and if your budget is $100, might as well go that direction. I mean, the other option is an ION or Crosley, and we all know that's no option at all. Of course, for $100, it's going to be tough to find something decent in the vintage category as well ... and it's going to take some time scouring Craigslist and local Goodwills before you find something worth it. You never know though - you might discover something really awesome and in great shape for even less than $100!

A side note - don't do eBay, unless the seller is local. People never know how to pack / ship turntables and you're likely to be disappointed when it arrives at your doorstep all smashed up.

Another thing to consider is that vintage decks are more likely to have issues, and parts for repair can sometimes be tough to track down. You never really know how it has been treated or abused in the past, but either way, you need to do a good visual inspection and ideally give the table a test run before buying it.

Personally, I love doing all the research and the thrill of hunting down vintage equipment. If you don't have the patience to do that - or you want a TT that won't require any attention other than setting it up and playing records on it - you might just want to start saving up for an entry level Rega, Pro-Ject or Music Hall.

If you want to experiment with vintage and you're willing to take a chance with your $100, here are a few suggestions to get you started. As always, do some research first. Some people love these ... some, not so much. Also, eBay is a good resource just in terms of seeing how much these tables are going for ...

Pioneer PL-12D

AR-XA (super simple, highly modifiable ... make sure the headshell is in good shape)

Dual 12xx series (these require servicing every 2-3 years but are built like tanks otherwise)

Technics SL-210/220/230 series

Sansui SR-222

Sony PS-X50, X60, X70

Guest threegcoalman

Hey guys, just wanted some advice info on what turntable I should be saving up for next.

Just started collecting not so along ago, and currently, my current knowledge of anything turntable or vinyl is almost null haha. So really do need the help!

A while back, I was scouring Amazon looking for a player, and intently looked at all the reviews for them. After looking at many within a limited price range and reading the reviews, I picked up the Audio Technica AT-LP60. For the price, and what the reviews said, I figured it was a good starter.

So my question to you all is, for starters, does anybody have any info on upgrading or just experience with this player, and also what should I consider saving up for?

Guest threegcoalman

Hey guys, just wanted some advice info on what turntable I should be saving up for next.

Just started collecting not so along ago, and currently, my current knowledge of anything turntable or vinyl is almost null haha. So really do need the help!

A while back, I was scouring Amazon looking for a player, and intently looked at all the reviews for them. After looking at many within a limited price range and reading the reviews, I picked up the Audio Technica AT-LP60. For the price, and what the reviews said, I figured it was a good starter.

So my question to you all is, for starters, does anybody have any info on upgrading or just experience with this player, and also what should I consider saving up for?

Hi all, new to the forum and to vinyl. Quick question on my setup.

I have a Sony PSLX-110 which I am running through an old receiver that seems to be working fine and some Polk bookshelf speakers.

The turntable was never used but made several moves with my family over the past 20-30 years since my dad bought it.

My question is that I've noticed on some records, in particular Saves the Day and The National that the voices sound a tad drawn out or lower than normal. Everything else seems to sound fine. Speed seems ok although I havent tested it or checked against MP3. So what could be causing this issue? I purchased a new stylus and havent tried that yet, just curious if it could be a belt issue or timing issue.

I also came across a Pioneer PL-12D with a Shure 3x stylus/cartridge that looks to be in good condition. Person is asking $50, is it worth the change in tables?

Thanks for any and all help and I hope to one day contribute to the site!

Hi all, new to the forum and to vinyl. Quick question on my setup.

I have a Sony PSLX-110 which I am running through an old receiver that seems to be working fine and some Polk bookshelf speakers.

The turntable was never used but made several moves with my family over the past 20-30 years since my dad bought it.

My question is that I've noticed on some records, in particular Saves the Day and The National that the voices sound a tad drawn out or lower than normal. Everything else seems to sound fine. Speed seems ok although I havent tested it or checked against MP3. So what could be causing this issue? I purchased a new stylus and havent tried that yet, just curious if it could be a belt issue or timing issue.

I also came across a Pioneer PL-12D with a Shure 3x stylus/cartridge that looks to be in good condition. Person is asking $50, is it worth the change in tables?

Thanks for any and all help and I hope to one day contribute to the site!

Damn, thats some great advice! Would you say the rega or the pro-ject turntables are that much better for the price? Or could I spend more on an older model and find something good?

The Rega / Pro-ject vs older models debate is purely subjective. Honestly, it's a matter of taste and what type of features / specs you prefer. If you go back a few posts and read my comments about the SL-1200 vs Pro-Ject, you can get a sense of some of the differences.

The newer entry-level tables from Rega and company are good tables and you'll probably be happy with your choice. What's more is that they're relatively easy to set up and play right out of the box. You won't have to worry about maintenance and you'll have a capable performer for years to come ... or at least until you get the upgrade bug.

As for vintage tables, they're definitely tougher to find, and when you do stumble across something you might want, there's always a chance that it might not be in good condition or on the verge of needing some TLC. If you like tinkering and tweaking with your gear, then you might not mind the uncertainty of buying a TT that's been around for 30 or 40 years.

I will say that if your budget is around $400, there are certainly many, many great options in the vintage realm. If you go new, you're pretty much limited to Rega / Pro-ject / Music Hall. What's more is that those tables are relatively free of frills and such. They're very simple, belt driven manual tables. With vintage at that price point, your options increase tenfold and it's my opinion that you can find a really amazing turntable that will equal or best the performance of a new deck. Again, that's just my opinion. Others will disagree with that.

And one more thing to think about: you could get a great vintage TT for $200 - $250 and still have a chunk of change to spend on a cartridge upgrade, pre-amp or even speakers. That sort of money will give you so many interesting options in the vintage arena. It's the bigger bang for your buck theory.

Again, in the end, it's all about what appeals to you. Just do your research, weigh your options and go from there!

Damn, thats some great advice! Would you say the rega or the pro-ject turntables are that much better for the price? Or could I spend more on an older model and find something good?

The Rega / Pro-ject vs older models debate is purely subjective. Honestly, it's a matter of taste and what type of features / specs you prefer. If you go back a few posts and read my comments about the SL-1200 vs Pro-Ject, you can get a sense of some of the differences.

The newer entry-level tables from Rega and company are good tables and you'll probably be happy with your choice. What's more is that they're relatively easy to set up and play right out of the box. You won't have to worry about maintenance and you'll have a capable performer for years to come ... or at least until you get the upgrade bug.

As for vintage tables, they're definitely tougher to find, and when you do stumble across something you might want, there's always a chance that it might not be in good condition or on the verge of needing some TLC. If you like tinkering and tweaking with your gear, then you might not mind the uncertainty of buying a TT that's been around for 30 or 40 years.

I will say that if your budget is around $400, there are certainly many, many great options in the vintage realm. If you go new, you're pretty much limited to Rega / Pro-ject / Music Hall. What's more is that those tables are relatively free of frills and such. They're very simple, belt driven manual tables. With vintage at that price point, your options increase tenfold and it's my opinion that you can find a really amazing turntable that will equal or best the performance of a new deck. Again, that's just my opinion. Others will disagree with that.

And one more thing to think about: you could get a great vintage TT for $200 - $250 and still have a chunk of change to spend on a cartridge upgrade, pre-amp or even speakers. That sort of money will give you so many interesting options in the vintage arena. It's the bigger bang for your buck theory.

Again, in the end, it's all about what appeals to you. Just do your research, weigh your options and go from there!

The only thing you could do is upgrade the cartridge ... or start working on other parts of your system (speakers, preamps, etc) ... and honestly I don't think you'd notice much of a difference with that table. For anyone who is asking the question "is my deck any good?" take a look at it and if it's mostly made of plastic, it's probably not.

Let me rephrase ... It's not that your table isn't any good; I'm sure it serves its purpose and hopefully you've gotten some enjoyment from it. I've always said that great music sounds great, no matter what system you're playing it though. However, if you're looking for something better in terms of sound and performance - audiophile quality, if you will - then yeah, it's worth looking into something else.

Tons of advice in this thread about upgrading to the "next level," so just take 30 minutes to read through it, then if you have any specific questions about a certain brand or model, ask away.

I feel like I should add one thing that has only been touched on briefly in this thread. There's a saying that goes, "a chain is no stronger than its weakest link." That definitely applies to turntables and electronic gear. In other words, for all this talk of upgrades, you're not going to be able to enjoy the benefits of a good turntable unless the rest of your components are up to par. That means speakers, receivers / amps, pre-amps, etc etc. I'm not telling everyone to drop a mint on a ton of gear; just temper your expectations if you upgrade your deck but the rest of your system is lacking.

The only thing you could do is upgrade the cartridge ... or start working on other parts of your system (speakers, preamps, etc) ... and honestly I don't think you'd notice much of a difference with that table. For anyone who is asking the question "is my deck any good?" take a look at it and if it's mostly made of plastic, it's probably not.

Let me rephrase ... It's not that your table isn't any good; I'm sure it serves its purpose and hopefully you've gotten some enjoyment from it. I've always said that great music sounds great, no matter what system you're playing it though. However, if you're looking for something better in terms of sound and performance - audiophile quality, if you will - then yeah, it's worth looking into something else.

Tons of advice in this thread about upgrading to the "next level," so just take 30 minutes to read through it, then if you have any specific questions about a certain brand or model, ask away.

I feel like I should add one thing that has only been touched on briefly in this thread. There's a saying that goes, "a chain is no stronger than its weakest link." That definitely applies to turntables and electronic gear. In other words, for all this talk of upgrades, you're not going to be able to enjoy the benefits of a good turntable unless the rest of your components are up to par. That means speakers, receivers / amps, pre-amps, etc etc. I'm not telling everyone to drop a mint on a ton of gear; just temper your expectations if you upgrade your deck but the rest of your system is lacking.

I have a standard Rega P1 and I recently moved apartments. The sound in my last place was wonderful and full. Ever since setting everything up in my new place I've noticed a change in the sound of my records. It doesn't sound as full, the volume isn't as loud, and there's a bit of a hollow feel to everything. Even when I drop the needle onto the record it's got an echo or like it's in a tin can. Any suggestions?

I have a standard Rega P1 and I recently moved apartments. The sound in my last place was wonderful and full. Ever since setting everything up in my new place I've noticed a change in the sound of my records. It doesn't sound as full, the volume isn't as loud, and there's a bit of a hollow feel to everything. Even when I drop the needle onto the record it's got an echo or like it's in a tin can. Any suggestions?

Most likely this has little to do with your record player and a lot to do with the room size, room acoustics and your speakers. What's the rest of the setup? Also, how big is the room with your setup compared to the old room?

Most likely this has little to do with your record player and a lot to do with the room size, room acoustics and your speakers. What's the rest of the setup? Also, how big is the room with your setup compared to the old room?