Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

Alright, scratch that (tee hee). Now I've got my hands on a 1977 Fisher MC-4040 in great shape. It has a cassette player/recorder and radio as well as a turntable. It boasts a magnetic cartridge and diamond stylus. What do I do now? The manual points out screws to adjust the stylus pressure, the anti-skate, the stylus set-down and the pick-up arm height. I haven't touched anything yet.

|k|

What reciever/speakers and preamp(if needed) would you go with for a player like either of these?

http://turntable.com/audio-technica-at-pl120-professional-direct-drive-turntable-3/

or

http://turntable.com/pioneer-pl-990-2-speed-full-auto-type-fully-automatic-turntable-5/

I'm on about a $400-450 budget and would be willing to even go up to $500, but it all depends on the set up.

If neither of these seem worth it, and anyone has a set-up that's better (in terms of quality and fits the financial bill), Then let me know :)

does anyone have any advice on remodeling an dynaco st70 amp? i have a pretty low end set up now - technics sl-bd20d, sony receiver and 2 decent sony speakers. my dad has a ton of hifi equipment (linn sondek table that i'm going to try to buy from him, 2 working dynaco st70s, 1 that needs a complete remodel, and killer dahlquist speakers that we refurbished a few years back), and i'm trying to figure out how to put together a decent unit. i was thinking of putting some tax return money into it, but i'm looking to just get up and running without blowing the whole thing on hifi. any suggestions?

I had the at-pl120 as well. It was a great table while I had it. My sold who bought it off me is still using it daily. The only thing about that is the stock cartridge leaves more to be desired, and the built in pre-amp is on the crappy side. But still out of the box is sounds pretty decent.

yeah i don't use the internal preamp, i use the one on my receiver instead. and yeah, i need desperately to swap out the cart, but i just can't afford it right now... my primary turntable lately is the micro seiki dd-22 as it's the one in the same room as my records and actually has a new cartridge and a recent repair from my local shop.

I've collected vinyl for awhile but have never really had a decent record player. I'm only on a budget of $100-150, but I've heard you can get some decent ones for around that price range. I've done some research but am unsure of which record player I should get.

Also, I've heard for the USB record players you need a sound card?

A guy on craigslist offered me a Technics SL-1650 for $40, but it needs a new cartridge and doesn't have a dust cover. I don't have a legit receiver (I do have a Harman/Kardon AVR 100 laying around), or speakers. If I were to take this off his hands, which kind of cartridge should I look into? Can I salvage the Harman/Kardon AVR 100 and use it as a phono receiver? I can't find a lot of data about the Technics SL-1650 so I'm not sure what other questions I should ask him. Any advice will help me greatly! Thanks guys!

I still stand by Audio-Technica's AT-LP60 as a great beginner's table. Usually online for around $70.

I've had one for a little over half a year now and it still sounds great. Could be that I just think that because I haven't played anything on a Rega or something more expensive, or that I play it through either my Panasonic SA-AK58 or my SA-HT05 which are both pretty decent surround systems. Regardless I think it's probably the best table someone could start out on for the price on a really tight budget.

I still stand by Audio-Technica's AT-LP60 as a great beginner's table. Usually online for around $70.

I've had one for a little over half a year now and it still sounds great. Could be that I just think that because I haven't played anything on a Rega or something more expensive, or that I play it through either my Panasonic SA-AK58 or my SA-HT05 which are both pretty decent surround systems. Regardless I think it's probably the best table someone could start out on for the price on a really tight budget.

that's the automatic belt table right? Can you play 10"s on that? I have a decent table now but plan on upgrading by May. Nothing hardcore, but something with stones.

that's the automatic belt table right? Can you play 10"s on that? I have a decent table now but plan on upgrading by May. Nothing hardcore, but something with stones.

Yeah that's the one. It only has a 7" and 12" setting though if you don't care you can just raise your stylus until it's set in position to play then move it over on to your 10" and drop it down I guess. Honestly if you already have a "decent" table I wouldn't call buying a $70 one upgrading. The AT-LP60 is nice for beginners but obviously with a price like that it's components are pretty basic. I'd just make due with what you have and save up for a Rega or something higher up if you really want to "upgrade".

Insound prices look pretty ridiculous at a glance. Which are you interested in? The Audio Technica ATLP120USB is ballparking about 200 bucks pretty much everywhere and you can get it shipped free at Amazon. Insound is pushing it for $400.

Anyway, that's the one I'm eyeing right now. Just discovered it a few days ago and I can't get my mind off of it.

I have no complaint with my setup. Considered budget (you want to see budfget you should have seen my previous two setups!!) but I love it.

Rega Planar 3 (P3) upgraded from the standard BIAS cartridge to the Exact with marked improvements in sound. I love the Rega P3. I love the glass platter and how it helps reduce vibration and I love how simple the design is.

I'm using this through an Onkyo digital amp with the Cambridge Audio budget pre-amp (640p) which is absolutely phenominal for the price point.

Speaker wise I'm utilising a pair of Mordundt Short Diamond 9.1's for standard stereo, though I think my previous JPW 510 Millenium's opened up the dynamism of the vinyl sound far better than the Diamonds which tend to reign stuff in...they sound a tiny bit more professional and controlled - great for a lot of dance and classical but not so good for dirty rock (compared to the Milleniums). I'm using an Epos ELS Sub then to control the bass which is terrific.

Ok, I have this A/V receiver (http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-100-Receiver/dp/B0000300E1) as a hand-me-down from my father in-law who used it as a surround sound for his TV. I'm not very good with these kinds of electronics, could I use this as phono receiver for a turntable or would I be better off selling it and buying a dedicated stereo receiver?

(Some extra info incase you don't wanna click that link: it's rated at just 40 watts per channel (wpc) in surround mode (50 wpc in stereo), the AVR 100's High Current Capability (HCC) amplifier sounds as dynamic and effortless as many 150-wpc amps we know.)

If you just want to get everything working, something like this will do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-Ultra-Compact-Phono-Preamp/dp/B000H2BC4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1299077433&sr=1-1

Sound quality wise this is pretty low end stuff, so you shouldn't expect much. Though getting something better wouldn't really improve things much, because then your receiver would hold the performance back. So unless you're willing to sell it and add $150-$200, that behringer should serve you well.