Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

I think i've made the decision to go with the RPM 1.3 and 'temporarily" purchase the cheap Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp (as mentioned above) to use to hook up my speakers (Optimus STS-800). Is this all i would need to begin my basic setup? I apologize if i sound like a fuckking n00b when it comes to all this, but i've been listening to my Crosely with built in speakers for the past 2 years. Many thanks,

Honestly, you'd probably get much better results by buying a cheaper used turntable (a used Pro-Ject Debut or Rega p1 run for just over $200), maybe something older (for example Thorens TD 145/150/160/165 are really good for their price), and put the rest into new active speakers or speaker/amp combo. Unless you're planning to replace them somewhere along the way, the RPM 1.3 will be a total overkill and the end result will be no better than if purchasing a $15 garage sale vintage turntable.

The only concern i have with buying something used is the fact that it may die out on me after several months. I figure if i'm willing to spend the money on something, i'd feel much more rest assured it would be in the highest of quality coming straight from the manufactuer. Now, i've been looking at the Pro-ject 1 Expression III, that looks like it has built in RCA female phono sockets. I'm assuming this would let me surpass buying a phono amp, to where i can run my speakers through my stereo system, and then into the player itself?

Refer to the following link for pictures:

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_252XPRSSN3/Pro-Ject-Xpression-III.html?tp=200

Thanks!

The RPM 1.3 has those RCA connectors as well.

http://www.acrylteller.com/WebRoot/Store2/Shops/es122814_acrylteller/4B36/4E31/87CC/506D/FB10/50ED/8961/162F/183340180_Plattenspieler_pro-ject_rpm1.3_genie.jpg

They are there simply to allow you to exchange cables. You still need the phono amplification stage.

I think you're approaching this from the wrong angle. Do you want to simply get the best possible turntable for your money, or the best SOUND for your money? You have to understand that the end result will only be as good as the weakest link. Like I said, if this will be just the first thing you upgrade and are planning to do so with the rest of the equipment as well, sure, a $700 turntable is a solid investment. But if this will be the last piece of the puzzle, a $700 turntable will serve you no better than a $150 turntable.

Also, I understand your concerns with buying used gear, I was like this as well at first. Now I regret every purchase I made at full retail price. If you talk to the seller, maybe even try out the turntable at the seller's place, it is very easy to learn how the gear was handled and what condition it's in. Though this doesn't really apply for vintage gear, because too many factors are involved, and it is best to have some knowledge (preferably more than the seller :) ) about the specific piece of equipment and electronics in general.

^

Really appreciate your response to my inquiry about purchasing a new turntable. As you can tell, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to setting one up with my speakers, etc. I understand what you mean when you say buying an expensive turntable isn't going to solve my "audiophile" tendencies, that i'll have to of course follow-up with decent set of speakers and a quality pre-amp to hook my stuff up to. Now my only real problem buying used is i live in a small town, so my only option of buying a turntable is via the internet (which kinda cancels out the whole used thing, because i can't physcially examine/use the turntable prior to buying it)

Like i stated earlier, I was looking @ either purchasing the RPM 1.3 or the Pro-ject Debut iii, and then gradually upgrading my phono amp to something of a lot higher quality. Would this be a bad move on my behalf? I figure the "Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp" thats $20 on amazon should satisfy my needs for connecting up my speakers (for the mean time atleast). Speakers i have are very decent quality, so i don't foresee needing to replace them for quite awhile. I would obviously upgrade to a higher grade of preamp once i get more money... Thanks in advance,

Hey guys, I was travelling Europe and North America for 6 months but have been here in Toronto living and working for 3 months so far to save up money to keep travelling again. I estimate I'll be here for a year, so I want to find a cheap turntable to last me those months. For some reason I'm a bit hesitant to buy from Craigslist or Kijiji. I know stores have horrible record players, but $60 for one that will do the job for me. Just wondering if anyone has an other ideas. I see these Crosly portable record players but they look like shit. Any opinions welcomed. Just looking for a cheap quick fix, not super high end quality. Don't want to spend more then $100 to be honest.

I'd go Technics. Those tables are bullet proof and have been an audio standard for awhile. It doesn't have a tacky dangling anti-skate weight. And it has a RPM switch. How often do you switch between 33 and 45? Do you think messing with belts and pulleys would be a hassle? Finally, while a controversial opinion, the direct drive motors on the Technics are basically the best. Most audiophiles don't use direct drive because they want the motor as far away from the cartridge to avoid any electronic interference or hum pickup. But this issue is overstated, in my opinion.

That said, the Music Hall has better isolation/dampening (though the Technics weighs more). The tonearm is also better.

So with my budget, I'm thinking of picking up a new turntable and moving the old one to the bedroom or something.

I've been looking at the Audio-Technica AT-LP120. Most reviews from both internet sources and people I actually know have enjoyed it thus far. I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of cash on one, and this situation is no different.

Any one have experience with it?

So with my budget, I'm thinking of picking up a new turntable and moving the old one to the bedroom or something.

I've been looking at the Audio-Technica AT-LP120. Most reviews from both internet sources and people I actually know have enjoyed it thus far. I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of cash on one, and this situation is no different.

Any one have experience with it?

I've actually been looking at this same table. Would anyone recommend it for a good/cheap table? I was thinking of upgrading the cartridge if I were to get it.

Ok, I'm a dummy and have no fucking clue what anything said in this thread means. I need a whole setup. (Surprise surprise, the Crosley ain't cutting it anymore.) I have about 500 bucks to play with. Go.

Hi guys,

Just a quick post to let those of you that are interested know that I finally got my act together and bought my kit the other day. See below for components and links to product pages.

Pro-Ject Xpression III Classic - in mahogany finish (looks incredible)

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=1300

Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amp

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=1285

Krix Equinox Bookshelf Speakers

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=422

Putting it all together I was so nervous - I had tried all the components together at the store, but all worst case scenarios were playing through my head, luckily nothing went wrong and the sound is just incredible - perfect crisp highs, nice defined low end (which surprised me alot considering how small the speakers are) and literally no background noise / hum from the turntable.

All up I got everything for $2200 which was incredible seeing as my budget was $2000 to begin with and I was expecting to leave the store with only the A-S300.

[image]

[image]

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot but I searched through first couple pages and found nothing, so here it goes:

I only have up to 200$ to spend on my whole set-up; obviously that's not a lot to spend on everything at all, but I really just want to listen to my records and have them simply sound good, at least better than they sounded on my shitty USB turn-table I bought from FYE.

I have some decent Bose computer speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-multimedia-speaker-system/dp/B000HZDF8W) and I'm a noob to all of this, so I was wondering what you guys think I should/need to buy to be able to listen to my records? Specific links would help a ton, thanks and sorry again if the answer is somewhere else in this thread.

Hi guys,

Just a quick post to let those of you that are interested know that I finally got my act together and bought my kit the other day. See below for components and links to product pages.

Pro-Ject Xpression III Classic - in mahogany finish (looks incredible)

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=1300

Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amp

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=1285

Krix Equinox Bookshelf Speakers

http://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=422

Putting it all together I was so nervous - I had tried all the components together at the store, but all worst case scenarios were playing through my head, luckily nothing went wrong and the sound is just incredible - perfect crisp highs, nice defined low end (which surprised me alot considering how small the speakers are) and literally no background noise / hum from the turntable.

All up I got everything for $2200 which was incredible seeing as my budget was $2000 to begin with and I was expecting to leave the store with only the A-S300.

[image]

[image]

Dude that looks kick ass!! Well done. Remember all cartridges, and TT belts/motors have a break-in period. You think it sounds good now?..wait till after 40hrs :)

Dude that looks kick ass!! Well done. Remember all cartridges, and TT belts/motors have a break-in period. You think it sounds good now?..wait till after 40hrs :)

Hey thanks a lot man! yeah i've had it running pretty much non stop since i've got it. I really should try and record something being played now and re record the same thing in a month or two and see the difference..

The Speakers are really opening up noticably already - much more controlled bass and just sounding a lot fuller which is a welcome surprise!!