Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

any thoughts?

Do you want a new stylus (needle) ... or an entirely new cartridge? Because you can buy a replacement stylus for that cart ...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-FF-15-XE-MKII-replacement-stylus

Did some quick research and that was an budget Ortofon cart that came out in the 80s. Still, basically well regarded, and if you like the sound, getting a new stylus might not be a bad choice.

If you'd like an entirely new cartridge, there are plenty of other good budget choices from Shure, Grado, Audio Technica and Ortofon. Go back a page or two in this thread (reply #473) for more info.

Yea did some research of my own to figure out the billions of things I needed to understand better over at vinylengine. Found a FF15D for cheap, but its listed as conical diamond, and it sounds like most prefer elliptical. Thoughts?

Hey guys. I'm looking for a set up to play my collection of records on. Thinking about buying a Pro-ject ESSENTIAL turntable, connected to a Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor Speaker set up. Which has a built in amplifer. Do I also need a pre-amp?

Here are the links and specs to both the turntable, and the speakers.

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/essential/proj-essential-blk

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-MS40-Digital-Monitor-Speakers/6TR

I'm only a student so I'm on a limited budget. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys. I'm looking for a set up to play my collection of records on. Thinking about buying a Pro-ject ESSENTIAL turntable, connected to a Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor Speaker set up. Which has a built in amplifer. Do I also need a pre-amp?

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/essential/proj-essential-blk

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-MS40-Digital-Monitor-Speakers/6TR

Thanks in advance.

If this is your first foray into turntables and whatnot, you could certainly do much worse. I'd much rather see someone go this route than a Crosley, Ion or even one of the cheaper Stanton or Audio Technica tables.

I can't really comment on the speakers, but reviews seem to be generally positive. You pay for what you get, and while I'm sure they won't blow you away, they'll sound adequate and do their job.

You will need a preamp. If you're on a tight budget, get the ART DJ pre II. Seriously, best bang for your buck.

http://www.amazon.com/ART-II-Preamplifier-Outputs-Switchable/dp/B000AJR482/ref=pd_sim_MI_1

Thanks in advance.

If this is your first foray into turntables and whatnot, you could certainly do much worse. I'd much rather see someone go this route than a Crosley, Ion or even one of the cheaper Stanton or Audio Technica tables.

I can't really comment on the speakers, but reviews seem to be generally positive. You pay for what you get, and while I'm sure they won't blow you away, they'll sound adequate and do their job.

You will need a preamp. If you're on a tight budget, get the ART DJ pre II. Seriously, best bang for your buck.

http://www.amazon.com/ART-II-Preamplifier-Outputs-Switchable/dp/B000AJR482/ref=pd_sim_MI_1

Thanks a lot buddy. I've been recommended to search for different speakers, but everything else looks like it'll be just fine. :)

Call me crazy (or just thorough) but I have assembled a list for this thread. I compiled in each category only items mentioned on one or more occasions, with the exception of speakers.

Hope this helps some.

Turntables

Rega P1

Pro-Ject Debut III

Technics SL-1200 mk5

Pro-Ject Xpression III Classic

Pro-Ject Debut Esprit

Music Hall mmf 2.2

Marantz 6100

Cartridge

Audio Technica AT95e

lpgear AT95he

shure 97xe

Audio Technica AT440MLA

Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge

Ortofon VM White

Preamp

Cambridge Audio 640p

Music Hall PA 1.2

Behringer PP400 Phono Preamp

Pro-Ject Phono Box SE

AJT DJ Pre 2

Amp

Behringer a500

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amp

Musical Fidelity A3

Marantz 1300DC (integrated)

Receiver

Marantz 2270

Harman Kardon HK 3490 120 Watt Stereo Receiver

Harman Kardon HK 3390 80W Stereo Receiver

Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver

Speakers

Epos ELS 8

Klipsch RB51

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Monitor Audio BX2

DALI Lektor 2

Tekton 6.5n's

Krix Equinox Bookshelf Speakers

Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1 Speakers

Klipsch Synergy F-10 Premium 6.5-Inch Floor-Standing Speaker

Dali Mentor 2

Dali Suite 28

M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Powered Monitor Speakers (Latest Version)

Sony SS-F6000 Floorstanding 4-Way Speakers (Pair, Black)

Focal Chorus 806V Bookshelf Speakers

Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black)

KEF 103.2, 104ab

Dynaco A-25 or A-10

Advent Loudspeaker, Smaller Advent Loudspeakers, Baby Advents

EPI 70, 100

Genesis model 1+ or 10

Avid 100, 102a

KLH Model 5, 6, 17 or 24

AR2 through AR7

A/D/S L810, L710 or L570

Wharfedale W40, W60

Klipsch KG-1, KG-1.5, KG-2, KG-3

Boston Acoustics A40, A60, A70

JBL 4408, L96

Dahlquist DQ-6, DQ-8, DQ-10, DQ-20

Mission 70MkII, 770, 771, 773

Frazier MK IV, MK V

Pioneer HPM-40, HPM-60, HPM-100

Celestion DL8

PSB Model 40

Infinity Qe or RSe

Yamaha NS-690II

Altec 890C

Cizek Model 1, 2

Ohm C2

B&W DM4, DM2

Realistic Mach 1

Burhoe Blues

Audioengine 2 Powered Desktop Speakers

Cables

QED Silver Anniversary

Call me crazy (or just thorough) but I have assembled a list for this thread. I compiled in each category only items mentioned on one or more occasions, with the exception of speakers.

Hope this helps some.

Turntables

Rega P1

Pro-Ject Debut III

Technics SL-1200 mk5

Pro-Ject Debut Esprit

Music Hall mmf 2.2

Cartridge

Audio Technica AT95e

lpgear AT95he

shure 97xe

Audio Technica AT440MLA

Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge

Ortofon VM White

Preamp

Cambridge Audio 640p

Music Hall PA 1.2

Pro-Ject Phono Box SE

AJT DJ Pre 2

Amp

Behringer a500

Musical Fidelity A3

Receiver

Marantz 2270

Marantz 6100

Speakers

Epos ELS 8

Klipsch RB51

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Monitor Audio BX2

DALI Lektor 2

Tekton 6.5n's

Dali Mentor 2

Dali Suite 28

KEF 103.2, 104ab

Dynaco A-25 or A-10

EPI 70, 100

Genesis model 1+ or 10

Avid 100, 102a

KLH Model 5, 6, 17 or 24

AR2 through AR7

A/D/S L810, L710 or L570

Wharfedale W40, W60

JBL 4408, L96

Frazier MK IV, MK V

Celestion DL8

PSB Model 40

Infinity Qe or RSe

Yamaha NS-690II

Altec 890C

Cizek Model 1, 2

Ohm C2

B&W DM4, DM2

Realistic Mach 1

Burhoe Blues

Cables

QED Silver Anniversary

good work man, this is a perfect list. we should put this front and center for all new visitors. kudos.

Hey guys, I don't need a new turntable but I'm having some problems and thought one of you guys might have a solution. I have this...

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL120-Professional-Direct-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00012EYNG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334631409&sr=8-4

My only problem is inner-groove distortion. I have meticulously set the player up to the specifications listed in the manual but I still get it on some records. The sound becomes distorted and quieter as the needle approaches the middle of the record. The last 20 seconds of each side are almost unlistenable at times. I'm thinking I might have to upgrade the cartridge. Any ideas?

I too am looking to take my first step into the vinyl realm and like others the Pro-Ject Debut III seems like the TT I'll be going with. But what would you all recommend most for the rest of the set up with this turn table? I'd be hoping to spend around $500-$1000 on the entire set up including the TT. I've already got A pair of Klipsch WB-14 book shelf speakers so I'm curious what would sound best. Sorry if any of you have to repeat your selves I just would appreciate input on my specific situation. Thank you!

Hey guys, I don't need a new turntable but I'm having some problems and thought one of you guys might have a solution. I have this...

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL120-Professional-Direct-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00012EYNG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334631409&sr=8-4

My only problem is inner-groove distortion. I have meticulously set the player up to the specifications listed in the manual but I still get it on some records. The sound becomes distorted and quieter as the needle approaches the middle of the record. The last 20 seconds of each side are almost unlistenable at times. I'm thinking I might have to upgrade the cartridge. Any ideas?

It's most certainly your cartridge if it's only on the inner grooves. I had this same issue with an uncalibrated stock cartridge on a old crappy Stanton table. After reading reviews on just about every cartridge under the $100 price point, I ended out upgrading to a Shure M97xe, took the time to calibrate it and it's a million times better. No more distortion on inner grooves. You can usually find it for about $60, sometimes less. Here's a link to amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=shure+m97xe

Make sure to use the protractor that comes with it to align the cartridge and adjust tracking/tonearm weight accordingly

Somebody recommened a good cartridge already, but if you can bring up your price point a bit, you should get the Audio Techncia AT440MLA for 160ish, it's usually a 200+ cartridge and it's a beast. Tracks really well especially the inner grooves.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440MLA-....4698038 &sr=8-5

Thanks in advance.

I noticed those are from the UK, and while I didn't look at shipping that comes out to $225 USD. Assuming my bank won't charge for the currency exchange, can you find a ESSENTIAL under $300 in the US?

Also, speaker wise, I was thinking of getting these flat studio monitors.

http://www.samash.com/p/KRK_Rokit%205%20Generation%202%205%20Active%20Monitor%20Single_-49955329

I could doubly use them for my computer because I do a bit of recording, and I'm assuming they have inputs that I could use a table with. Good idea?

Got set up with my Audio Technica LP120. Right now I am plugged into my computer speakers. I really need to get some research done and a good set of speakers.

As far as preference on speakers go, is there a difference in quality between powered speakers (using the AT's Line Out) or using non-powered speakers and an amplifier. This is still where I get confused. If I use non-powered speakers and my TT has a Phono PreAmp, do I still need a receiver/amplifier?

[image]

If I use non-powered speakers and my TT has a Phono PreAmp, do I still need a receiver/amplifier?

Yes.

And choosing between active speakers (built-in amplifier) and passive speakers (need an external amp) should boil down to your preferences and needs because there are good and bad examples of both in every price range. Usually active speakers are a better option for a starter setup on a budget, because you get everything you need in one box. However, all reasonably priced active speakers are intended for smaller rooms/near field listening, so if you have a large room, you'll need bigger speakers, and a bigger budget.

How much are you looking to spend?

Well, it's really hard to get something barely decent for $100, but only you can be the judge of whether spending more is worth the cost.

Some notable mentions in this price range:

M-Audio Studiophile AV40 ($115)

Creative GigaWorks T40 ($100)

Behringer MS20 ($140)

Although if you can see yourself spending $250-$300 for a set, the difference is definitely worthwhile.

I'm in need of a new turntable.

I hear mixed things about the pro-ject models.

I just got a Pro-Ject Debut III about three weeks ago. It's my first record player, but I'm really liking it. I was on the fence between it and the Rega, but a local store had the Pro-Ject so I went with it. It sounds really good to me (keep in mind it's my first turntable), and is definitely eye-catching. I went with the glossly blue with looked a lot better than I thought it would. Love the whole minimalistic look, and overall am really pleased with it. Set up was easy, with my dad and I putting it together and attaching it to our system in about half an hour. If you're in the $400 range I would definitely recommend it.

Side note, the blue looks a little different in person than in print, but I can post a picture if you're interested.

Hope this helps some.

Turntables

Rega P1

Pro-Ject Debut III

Technics SL-1200 mk5

Pro-Ject Debut Esprit

Music Hall mmf 2.2

Marantz 6100

Cartridge

Audio Technica AT95e

lpgear AT95he

shure 97xe

Audio Technica AT440MLA

Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge

Ortofon VM White

Preamp

Cambridge Audio 640p

Music Hall PA 1.2

Pro-Ject Phono Box SE

AJT DJ Pre 2

Amp

Behringer a500

Musical Fidelity A3

Receiver

Marantz 2270

Speakers

Epos ELS 8

Klipsch RB51

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Monitor Audio BX2

DALI Lektor 2

Tekton 6.5n's

Dali Mentor 2

Dali Suite 28

KEF 103.2, 104ab

Dynaco A-25 or A-10

EPI 70, 100

Genesis model 1+ or 10

Avid 100, 102a

KLH Model 5, 6, 17 or 24

AR2 through AR7

A/D/S L810, L710 or L570

Wharfedale W40, W60

JBL 4408, L96

Frazier MK IV, MK V

Celestion DL8

PSB Model 40

Infinity Qe or RSe

Yamaha NS-690II

Altec 890C

Cizek Model 1, 2

Ohm C2

B&W DM4, DM2

Realistic Mach 1

Burhoe Blues

Cables

QED Silver Anniversary

What would be your recommendation for speakers around the $300 range? I'm looking for a new pair of bookshelf speakers for my dorm room in the fall. I was mostly looking at the PSB Image B4s, but am just beginning to start shopping. It would be great if their range went pretty low since the receiver I am using now doesn't have support for a subwoofer, but I may be able to avoid that by just getting a preamp and plugging my table into my newer amp.

Thanks.

Thanks in advance.

If you could swing it, I would try to get the Debut III instead of the Essential. I'm sure the Essential will be good, but when I was looking at them in the store the Debut III seemed a bit sturdier and better made. The frame was noticeably thicker and had a 4th leg to sit on. Overall though, I think Pro-Ject is the way to go for a first table.