Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

• 1 month later...

This thread hasn't been posted in since July, but fuck it.

I'm currently using a cheap USB table and I've decided it's time to upgrade. I would like to spend around $400-500 on a new turntable and I'm not sure what to get. So far the two I've been looking at are a Rega RP1 or a Pro-Ject Debut. Are either of these tables any good? Both seem to have somewhat mixed reviews.

This thread hasn't been posted in since July, but fuck it.

I'm currently using a cheap USB table and I've decided it's time to upgrade. I would like to spend around $400-500 on a new turntable and I'm not sure what to get. So far the two I've been looking at are a Rega RP1 or a Pro-Ject Debut. Are either of these tables any good? Both seem to have somewhat mixed reviews.

Debut all day

I think the RP1 ($445) is actually nicer than the Debut III ($299), but compared to the new Debut Carbon ($399) its probably the pretty damn close to the same quality.

Those 2 (3) tables are all great starter tables. You'll hear an immediate difference and a nice thing about them is you can have them set up and playing in about 5 minutes.

If you're not afraid to fuss with used you'll be able to get a much better table for that $400-500 but depending on what and where you get it from you have no guarantee about quality or that it won't break a week later leaving out of your $$$.

Any local spots that sell equipment in your area? Hi-Fi stores?

The Rega/Project tables are a pretty cheap safe bet which is why there are a lot of people that like them on this board.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You all would probably kill me if you saw the record player I am currently using....

I am in need of getting new turntable. I'm not looking to break the bank just get something decent.

Is a Technics SL 3200 in very, very very good shape worth spending around $70 on? If not I'll keep looking and thanks for the heads up.

You all would probably kill me if you saw the record player I am currently using....

Prices are all over the map on that 3200, but $70 seems to be right in the middle. It's a decent direct drive starter deck for someone looking to move up from a Crosley (or whatever TT you have that is apparently worthy of execution) and if it really is in good condition, I have no issue with you moving forward.

Do you know if it comes with a cartridge, and if so, which one?

• 6 months later...

Is the Music Hall USB-1 any better than an ION Profile? I have a Yamaha HTR-6230 receiver and a set of Yamaha NS-1000 floor speakers. My current crappy sucks I know. I actually have a record that was brand new (though a bit warped) and skipped on my current player, but went right through the parts on a different one, so I'm assuming a new player would be better. I saw that Music Hall in a shop and it seems much nicer than the ION.

I've read alot about players in the $200 to $350ish range but I can't decide which is worth it. Any help is great. Thanks.

EDIT: Just noticed this hasn't been posted in since last year. Ha! Better than starting a new thread I guess?

Is the Music Hall USB-1 any better than an ION Profile? I have a Yamaha HTR-6230 receiver and a set of Yamaha NS-1000 floor speakers. My current crappy sucks I know. I actually have a record that was brand new (though a bit warped) and skipped on my current player, but went right through the parts on a different one, so I'm assuming a new player would be better. I saw that Music Hall in a shop and it seems much nicer than the ION.

I've read alot about players in the $200 to $350ish range but I can't decide which is worth it. Any help is great. Thanks.

EDIT: Just noticed this hasn't been posted in since last year. Ha! Better than starting a new thread I guess?

Although I have no direct experience with either, I can almost guarantee that the music hall is going to be better. For one, it has a moving magnet cartridge (which has a headshell to change it out or upgrade it in the future) rathe than the ion which is a ceramic stylus that can only be replaced with another crappy ion stylus. The MH tonearm looks much better than the ion as well. That stylus will almost certainly damage your records. Music Hall is way more reputable company when it comes to turntables so I think with the ion you would be more likely to encounter those anti skate problems you are already having (needle skipping grooves)

With turntables especially, but with all new-in-box purchases, I'm a big believer in "you get what you pay for". And by that logic, a $250 table > $75 one. But it's just my 2 cents on the matter.

Thanks for that reply. The ION is actually the player I have. I bought it last year when I first started and wasn't sure if I was gonna keep collecting. It seems now, a year later, that I will be purchasing only records for the near future, ha!

I know I wanna upgrade a bit to something that won't completely suck like the ION does, but it seems what are considered "good" players are in the $500+ range. I just want a player that won't damage records in the long run as the ION I have will and still sounds good. Thanks!

If you're willing to pay the price for the Music Hall, I strongly advise you consider the Pro-Ject Debut III. It's being discontinued, so the price is a bit lower than what it retailed for:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7622-pro-ject-debut-iii-matte-black-turntable.aspx

In my opinion this is the least a person has to spend in order to listen to records worry-free for the following couple of years.

Edit: though I see your receiver doesn't have a phono input, so that's yet another expense.

I used to be the same way chils123. I couldn't imagine spending more then $200 on a full set up, but man was I wrong. I upgraded my ION table (which was plugged in via aux cable direct to my computer) to a Pro-ject Debut Carbon, Yamaha A-S500, and (arriving Saturday) a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's. I don't even have the bookshelf speakers yet, and I can already notice a 200% quality difference, and that's just with computer speakers. I can't agree enough that it's worth it to upgrade to a decent set up. I know a lot of people on the board would consider my set up still "lower end" then some, but I think it's awesome. There are some really cool people on this board that can help you work out the best options to get, but trust me, it's worth it to save up and get a really nice setup.

From what I've gathered is people generally will point you towards the Pro-ject Carbon over the RP1.  

Fair enough and thanks.  Any particular reason(s)? Also, what about the Debut III versus the Debut Carbon? And does anyone have any thoughts/experiences on the Debut Carbon USB?

The Debut Carbon comes with a Ortofon 2M Red which is better than an Ortofon OM5E. Debut Carbon is $50 cheaper too, right? The upgrade path with the Debut Carbon is also cheaper: acrylic platter = $125, speed box = $129.

The Debut Carbon USB preamp is not switchable. Meaning you can't turn off the built-in preamp if you decide to upgrade or change preamps in the future. You're essentially stuck with that preamp as long as you have the turntable. Fine if you never plan to upgrade or keep it as a turntable plugged into your computer.

I have nothing against Rega's, I actually like them but being that the RP1 is more expensive and has a lesser cartridge, it will steer people to a Debut Carbon. Oh, RP1 has a matte finish, Debut Carbon is glossy.

The Debut Carbon comes with a Ortofon 2M Red which is better than an Ortofon OM5E. Debut Carbon is $50 cheaper too, right? The upgrade path with the Debut Carbon is also cheaper: acrylic platter = $125, speed box = $129.

The Debut Carbon USB preamp is not switchable. Meaning you can't turn off the built-in preamp if you decide to upgrade or change preamps in the future. You're essentially stuck with that preamp as long as you have the turntable. Fine if you never plan to upgrade or keep it as a turntable plugged into your computer.

I have nothing against Rega's, I actually like them but being that the RP1 is more expensive and has a lesser cartridge, it will steer people to a Debut Carbon. Oh, RP1 has a matte finish, Debut Carbon is glossy.

One thing I find confusing about the speed box upgrade is that Pro-ject's website states the following:

"Debut Carbon and Debut Carbon Esprit can not be used with the Speed Box II because they require a 230 volt connection."

(http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=speedbox&cat=accessories)

Do people basically ignore that warning?  If so, on what grounds? am I missing something?