Tom Gabel Sex Change...

Haha, fair enough.

Edit: Relevant to the discussion...

"In my opinion, gender-variance is not a mental illness, but is instead a normal variation. We sometimes forget that just because something is less common, that does not mean that is it abnormal or unhealthy. Our ideas about gender norms and roles make it very easy for us to jump to the conclusion that those who don’t fit our stereotypes are mentally ill, but that is only because it is easier than challenging our own assumptions about gender. Long before we are born, the world is preparing for our entrance in blue or pink. When it takes inhuman strength to reject the innumerable labels and expectations placed on us based on our sex, is there something wrong with us or with society?"

-Dr. Laura Erickson-Schroth

Go ahead and marinate on that one VC.

was reading your edit and found you a lot more eloquent and intelligent than you originally seemed. then i got to the end and saw it was a quote from an educated person. :D

Haha, fair enough.

Edit: Relevant to the discussion...

"In my opinion, gender-variance is not a mental illness, but is instead a normal variation. We sometimes forget that just because something is less common, that does not mean that is it abnormal or unhealthy. Our ideas about gender norms and roles make it very easy for us to jump to the conclusion that those who don’t fit our stereotypes are mentally ill, but that is only because it is easier than challenging our own assumptions about gender. Long before we are born, the world is preparing for our entrance in blue or pink. When it takes inhuman strength to reject the innumerable labels and expectations placed on us based on our sex, is there something wrong with us or with society?"

-Dr. Laura Erickson-Schroth

Go ahead and marinate on that one VC.

That's a good quote. Would read again.

You're still a dick and your overuse of ::) is still maddening.

Still.....nobody bothered at all about Rolling Stone? Huh, OK then.

I actually disagree. Rolling Stone has a longstanding tradition of funding and printing some of the best and most important long-form journalism out there. I don't see eye to eye with them on their musical tastes but they are serving an invaluable place by funding some great investigative pieces in a time when such sources are drying up rapidly. Their articles move well beyond music and I appreciate that about them. I recently had the opportunity to make the acquaintance of Bill Greider who was their long-time correspondent on economics. Trust me, they are employing brilliant journalists and covering areas that need exposure.

As to using them to break the story: They are a well connected and widely circulated source. If the goal is to release the story through one venue that will give the story multiple pages instead of a tag-line or short paragraph then this was a perfect move on her part. They gave her the space to tell the entire story instead of allowing it to be a tabloid headline. They controlled the message.

Whoever, if anyone, is advising Laura and her family is doing a fantastic job. I can't imagine a better roll out to a huge piece of news.

I enjoy the eye roll, as I am constantly doing it when reading most comments on this board. Glad someone else shares the same opinion as mine.

Pretty much.

dude you said it yourself, they're no longer a punk band. If this happened during the pre-Sire days, then yea maybe it woulda been odd. But despite the band's stance and most of their current fans' reasoning, they're sellouts. That's why I found it humorous that rolling stone quoted Gabel as "a major rock star".

I know most people will disagree with me, but it's true. Anti-The Man? Not so much...don't forget the real reason why Warren Oakes quit, and no, it wasn't to open a burrito stand.

one of the attorneys i work with came over to me today and asked if i listened to against me! cuz he heard about this on the news. it kind of blew my mind, cuz while everyone here knows i'm into 'hardcore', the fact that a guy in his late 40s saw this and connected it with me was bizarre.

I know most people will disagree with me, but it's true. Anti-The Man? Not so much...don't forget the real reason why Warren Oakes quit, and no, it wasn't to open a burrito stand.

What was the real reason?

well I don't have details, but it was drama. Gabel originally eluded that they fired him from the band, but Oakes came back and said something along the lines of he didn't like the direction that band was heading etc. etc.

Yea, that happens all the time with bands, but my interpretation was it was more to do with the change from "indie anarchist punks" to "mainstream headliners".

edit: and I don't mean to hijack the thread with AM! bashing...opinions on the band aside I'm super happy for Laura and wish her and her family the best of luck with the future. Even though I really have no respect for the Against Me the band, their songs are catchy and they are still a guilty pleasure of mine lol

Oakes always said he was leaving cause he had other interests in life and Against Me was a 365days a year job and his heart wasnt always in it for that long. Other guys noticed this as well and they either canned him or he left on his own. He has always claimed since then that he was just burned out on doing it for a full time gig and not having time to do other things he wanted. Pretty much drama free of a split.

Maybe his mom's maiden name? It's the only thing I can think of.

Yeah, thats what it is.

As a long time AM! fan, I can't say i'm too shocked by all of this. Quite a few hints over the years in the lyrics when you look back on it. Still really weird to think about though.

Good for Tom though. Or Laura I guess. As long as it makes him happier, then more power to him.

dude you said it yourself, they're no longer a punk band. If this happened during the pre-Sire days, then yea maybe it woulda been odd. But despite the band's stance and most of their current fans' reasoning, they're sellouts. That's why I found it humorous that rolling stone quoted Gabel as "a major rock star".

respectfully disagree with you

I care how the band sounds and what their content is, and I can't think of tons of female vocalists I listen to regularly enough to say I'm a big fan.

You are missing out on some great music...sucks for you I guess.

First. World. Problems. ::)

Oh well. It's not that I go, "ugh, female singer, fuck that!" I just scan through my records and I noticed that I don't have many, then thought about female-fronted groups I know and don't like tons of them.

Pop music, I actually like more female singers. But bands? I havent' found many that click for me.

Not having to do with the rest of this, because honestly, I could care less how anyone is going to live their lives, but that Boca Fiesta is delicious. A gator taco from there is heaven. Cheap beer too. That is all