Cleaning Your Records

I just posted some videos of the before and after Audio with the KAB EV-1 if anyone is interested. I cant recommend this thing enough. Under $200 is well worth the money.

I have no editing skills, so just listen to each clip (around a minute long) from front to back and you will hear the difference.

Before:

after using KAB EV-1

I just posted some videos of the before and after Audio with the KAB EV-1 if anyone is interested. I cant recommend this thing enough. Under $200 is well worth the money...

Definitely does sound better that's for sure!

Personally, I was really lucky. I scored my VPI 16.5 from the original owner in damn near mint condition for $225. Not often you stumble upon a great deal like that though. I definitely think for the price-point, the KAB EV-1 is not a bad option to consider.

Definitely does sound better that's for sure!

Personally, I was really lucky. I scored my VPI 16.5 from the original owner in damn near mint condition for $225. Not often you stumble upon a great deal like that though. I definitely think for the price-point, the KAB EV-1 is not a bad option to consider.

Wow that is an awesome deal! I would have jumped on that too. I just saw someone on craigslist here in DC is selling that same cleaner for $500.

Wow that is an awesome deal! I would have jumped on that too. I just saw someone on craigslist here in DC is selling that same cleaner for $500.

Nothing but dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time! I have found though that if you keep an eye on places like eBay/Audiogon/US Audio Mart/etc. you can find the 16.5 for around $300-400 though in what appears to be pretty solid condition maybe just requiring a new vacuum tube. Keep your eyes open!

I'll sell mine for what I got it for if and when I can afford the Audio Desk Systeme cleaning machine (~$3,500) or similar cleaning solution but that's more wishful thinking than anything, haha. Of course, I wouldn't mind testing out the new VPI MW-1 when it's actually available either. It looks pretty solid but we're still talking a $1,000 price-point. Definitely out of my budget for now.

Nothing but dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time! I have found though that if you keep an eye on places like eBay/Audiogon/US Audio Mart/etc. you can find the 16.5 for around $300-400 though in what appears to be pretty solid condition maybe just requiring a new vacuum tube. Keep your eyes open!

I'll sell mine for what I got it for if and when I can afford the Audio Desk Systeme cleaning machine (~$3,500) or similar cleaning solution but that's more wishful thinking than anything, haha. Of course, I wouldn't mind testing out the new VPI MW-1 when it's actually available either. It looks pretty solid but we're still talking a $1,000 price-point. Definitely out of my budget for now.

For some reason my brain read, "Cleaning your spirit" probably because your name rspkt sounds like spirit in my brain

No way dude. After the spit shine, the only thing that really gets them clean is a fine-grit sandpaper.

Thanks, should definitely give it a try...you only use the fine-grit? Is there a specific reason you don't use the coarse one?

One more question: do you clean the record with the sandpaper by hand? Or with a drill and an drill head/attachment (would be way faster)?

Thanks, should definitely give it a try...you only use the fine-grit? Is there a specific reason you don't use the coarse one?

One more question: do you clean the record with the sandpaper by hand? Or with a drill and an drill head/attachment (would be way faster)?

Stop playing at it, Napalm, it's the way forward

Okay fellas. I feel like my records are not getting clean enough. In fact, I know they aren't. I would LOVE to get a VPI, but I just simply can't afford that now and won't be able to for a long time. So what would be my best? What is the best way to get the deepest clean I can possibly get at an affordable rate? I always hear good and bad things about the spin clean, so that was my first idea.

Okay fellas. I feel like my records are not getting clean enough. In fact, I know they aren't. I would LOVE to get a VPI, but I just simply can't afford that now and won't be able to for a long time. So what would be my best? What is the best way to get the deepest clean I can possibly get at an affordable rate? I always hear good and bad things about the spin clean, so that was my first idea.

I'm telling you, KAB EV-1.  You won't be disappointed.  I paid $170 shipped for mine.

Anyone have any opinions on VPI 16.5 vs Okki Nokki? I don't have a RCM ( I use spin clean, yes most of you hate it I read this thread) and am thinking buying an RCM may be more important than setting up my system. Im having a terribly hard time even finding a place to buy an okki nokki (I reside in the US) so by default VPI may win.

Anyone have any opinions on VPI 16.5 vs Okki Nokki? I don't have a RCM ( I use spin clean, yes most of you hate it I read this thread) and am thinking buying an RCM may be more important than setting up my system. Im having a terribly hard time even finding a place to buy an okki nokki (I reside in the US) so by default VPI may win.

Over here the opposite would be true as the Okki Nokki is the more widely available and I expect that will ultimately make your choice for you, it's not so much getting hold of the thing but after care should you need it.

I have an Okki Nokki and when it leaked internally and took the motor out I was very happy to be able to get hold of a new motor for it from the UK agent and I expect that would be the same for an US owner of a VPI.

That said I would like to hear an opinion from someone who has tried both.

Quick question, I usually dry clean my records but I have started to wet clean them using the MoFi record brush and MoFi Super Record Wash. Was curious on how to dry my records because I found a website saying to let them air dry, but a friend of mine is saying otherwise. Can anyone shed some light?

From my personal experience, the VPI is better than the Okki Nokki. I will admit though, I am rather VPI-biased. From a re-sale standpoint also if you ever decide to upgrade, the VPI cleaning machines always seem to hold solid value as long as they're in good condition.