Cleaning Your Records

I dry it just for kicks, theres very little liquid left after vacuuming which would evaporate very quickly but I like to use the rag. Before cleaning, I have a dirty looking record with tons of surface noise. After it's clean, shiny and sounds great. So, while some out there might have a better technique, what I'm doing works pretty damn well.

• 5 weeks later...

My current plan is to just not clean my records at all and enjoy life in ignorant bliss until I can afford a $600 cleaner.  All kidding aside, is it a safer gamble to just not clean your records than to try hand cleaning/Spin Clean washing?  Some folks in this thread make zero cleaning sound preferable to the horrors of incorrect cleaning.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the lame bump, but thinking about finally biting the bullet and buying a vacuum RCM, and was wondering if anyone had experience with the KAB EV1 compared to the Record Doctor V. It seems that on the surface the RD has he built in vacuum and the EV1 uses a household vacuum attachment, but it's hard to gauge their performance against each other just reading reviews.

And yeah, I realize both are extremely entry level so they will probably perform similarly, just wondering if anyone had any insight. Thanks

I've not tried either but when I bought mine (an Okki Nokki) it has it's own vacuum and I'm happy with that as it's just a lot more convenient.

I think with one that needs a vacuum cleaner to use with it I would either of ended up buying an old vacuum cleaner to use with the record cleaner and then had to find somewhere to store it or ended up getting shouted at every time I had left the house vacuum cleaner in my listening room.

Do you buy new inner sleeves each time you clean your records?

depends?  I typically only clean my records once (vpi16.5 & home brew).. unless I sneeze on them or something, even then i'd probably just clean and put it back in the sleeve.  I put them into the mofi sleeves so little paper fibers arent an issue.  After that a dry brush before (and sometimes after play) seems to keep em clean.

Do you buy new inner sleeves each time you clean your records?

No, and I don't plan on replacing these new ones for many years. I'm using a combination of the MoFi sleeves and these from Diskeeper: 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1V2FA0/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1411973063&sr=1&keywords=diskeeper+sleeves

It all really depends on the record, which sleeve I put it in. I'm not going to use paper ones ever again though that's for sure.

You get bulk pricing discounts on MOFI sleeves if you get them from somewhere like SoundStageDirect. I usually buy 2 at a time at ~$18/each and then I get free shipping too. Good to know those UA sleeves are quality so I'll keep that in mind as well. Thanks.

Whoa...didn't know about that. Thanks rspkt!