Cleaning Your Records

• 2 months later...

[media=]

[/media]

Just the still image of that video alone makes me say NO! Wal-Mart brand dish soap and alcohol?! Ugh.

It's the only way his clean records can retain that "vinyl sound (pops and clicks)."

Think what you want, but this guy's method works damn well. I have used it on over 100 records, including some seriously gross ones. Also he has a bottle of dishwasher rinse agent, not soap there. As for the alcohol, maybe it isn't super high lab grade stuff, but it works fine for me. The records I clean with this method all sound great, no "vinyl sound".

What's your setup? Cartridge? I ask because these make a huge difference in what can actually be heard. A clean looking record does not equal a clean record, even if you can't hear any "vinyl sounds". And as I've stated numerous times... its not just the record you should be worried about. All the extra crap in those alcohols, soaps, waters, will degrade your stylus.

Also

I'm trying to find super pure water for rinsing the record after cleaning. I'm looking at the MoFi Pure Record Rinse (http://www.mofi.com/...mfslrpure32.htm). Does anyone have any experience with it?

Or would I be better off getting something like this? http://www.fishersci...03556&distype=0

I'll mail you ultra pure water for cheaper! What method are you using to clean?

What's your setup? Cartridge? I ask because these make a huge difference in what can actually be heard. A clean looking record does not equal a clean record, even if you can't hear any "vinyl sounds". And as I've stated numerous times... its not just the record you should be worried about. All the extra crap in those alcohols, soaps, waters, will degrade your stylus.

Also

I'll mail you ultra pure water for cheaper! What method are you using to clean?

Acoustic Research AR XB

Shure M91ED with JICO SAS Stylus

Acoustic Research AR-2AX and AR-4X stacked or Grado SR60i

Realistic STA 2300

Vacuuming after the cleaning process is the key. Nothing should be allowed to dry on the records. People who use microfiber cloths are the ones leaving all of that shit behind. The Spin Clean is one of the most popular offenders of this.

Rinsing is unnecessary depending on the solution you're using. Its a vacuum! Here's my steps.

1. Record on platter, turn platter on.

2. 3mL of RC solution.

3. MoFi brush to spread solution (2 passes), start scrub (2 passes).

4. Turn off motor, scrub opposite direction (2 passes).

5. Turn motor on, scrub original direction (2 passes).

6. Turn on vacuum (2 passes).

7. Inspect record. Make sure all liquid has been removed.

Done! This takes about 1 minute.

I'd check your tube felt. Maybe it's not attached properly? Also how much liquid are you using? You keep the motor running until the vacuum has broken seal correct?

3. Spreading the solution I lay the MoFi brush on top of the record enough to make contact, but almost no pressure at all. Scrubbing I add light pressure. It'd be silly to start scrubbing if there isn't any liquid where you are scrubbing.

4. Yes.

recently i've been using the same spray stuff i clean my tv with, and the cloth that it came with.

i put the record on my direct drive, spray it, press the cloth down gently, and spin the platter underneath the cloth.

they come out shiny and it's never reduced sound quality, also it has improved sound quality on some older titles, like my zeppelin II.

other than that, i just have a cheap "carbon fiber cleaning brush" that i run over my records before each spin.

i'd like a fancy cleaning machine, but i haven't found myself in a position to drop that kind of cash on one item.

recently i've been using the same spray stuff i clean my tv with, and the cloth that it came with.

i put the record on my direct drive, spray it, press the cloth down gently, and spin the platter underneath the cloth.

This is a horrible idea. Let me break this down for you...

1. Do you know what is in your TV cleaning spray? Do you know which alcohols break down vinyl? Do you know what chemicals break down stylus glues? Its super risky move using any product for something it wasn't intentionally made for...

2. Your motor in your DD is made to withstand a certain level of resistance. Even pushing down gently can be too much force and wear out your motor. And turning it at any speed its not supposed to be turned, or forced to get in spurts can also be damaging.

when the motor on my direct drive is off, it can be spun in any direction at any speed without any damage whatsoever. it doesn't effect it's speed calibrations or anything. i can guarantee that it's fine.

also the 'gentle pressing' is does not actually apply any pressure, it just keeps the cloth on the surface of the record.

the cleaning spray is only used records damaged enough to actually require a cleaning. i don't use it on all of my records, especially something with potential value.

• 3 months later...

No but a vacuum cleaning machine on a budget, Ill definitely be buying one of these in the future.

I just realized they mentioned this earlier in the thread, so I deleted my post asking about it

:edit: In re-reading I see just one person mentioned having it, so my question still stands.

Fuck I need sleep

hi, newbie on the site and loving it

thought I would throw in 2 cents worth as I have just spent the last few weeks cleaning a stack of records and the method I have used seems to work quite well.

1. clean the record with a mix (1:4) of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water - wipe down gently with soft clean microfibre cloth

2. leave them to completely air dry on a rack

3. Use the PVA wood glue method - have done about 100 records in the last 6 weeks - no probs at all

4. Repeat step 1 & 2 - just to make sure no remnants left behind

I have found it definately reduces the surface noise and the records sound fantastic to my ears - some of these are from the late 70's and early 80's that I have in the collection and they sound great.

I have what I think is just a mid end system but the sound is just right for me and I love it.

Surfactant is non scented dishwashing liquid - 1 drop

The quality of alcohol - I think it's about 70% - so hence the 1:4 (sometimes 1:3) mix as it's not the really strong (expensive) stuff

Seems to work for me and most importantly my ears

The records I have cleaned are not rare collectors items so it will do me till I find another (maybe better) way of doing it

Wood glue.

No joke

I use it all the time and it works beautifully

Yes and no. Not all wood glue is the same and you've gotta know how to use it otherwise you can make a pretty ugly mess out of a record (i.e. using too little glue). I have tried it several times and gotten great results though.

But if you have a half decent sized collection, wood glue becomes too expensive. Pluuuuus I'm buying at least 100 used records per week - almost all in need of cleaning.

Wet cleaning on a vacuum record cleaner is the way to go in my opinion, though there are some nicer (albiet slower) methods that use pumps and stuff.

VPI 16.5 is the standard. I built my own, looks ugly but works great. I bought the VPI 16 to 16.5 upgrade kit (the pickup head/spring/mount) and used my own wet/dry vac and ripped apart a rubbish turntable to salvage the platter/bearing/mount.

Most basic cleaning fluids are just isopropyl alcohol + distilled water. It's easy to mix your own, just be sure you've got scientific grade isopropyl and you buy it in a decent size bottle/can and use only the purest water you can find - distilled bottled water works good but hey, some folks do fine with tap water.

A safe mix is supposed to be 25% isopropyl to 75% water. I aim for 15% isopropyl and have a roughly marked line on a spray bottle - I know I'm in safe territory but can get away with mixing it roughly/quickly.

Also, after cleaning using any alcohol solution I would say a distilled water rinse is mandatory.

Oh and it should be common knowledge by now but you know those short stubby little ultra-bright white LED torches? yeah use those to inspect records. Every bit of dust deep in the grooves will be clear as day.

I don't bother with surfacants - haven't had any issues so far and I've managed to revive records that are genuinely covered in mold to sounding like new.