Cleaning Your Records

I was curious about wood glue last night because I remember seeing a couple of videos on YouTube with users applying wood glue to their records for deep cleaning. I used it last night for the first time. I was amazed.

This technique is only used for 12" LPs. I'm gonna try it on 10", which shouldn't be a problem. Wood glue should never be used on 78rpm records and the only info I know about using wood glue on 45rpm records is don't do it (yet). I only own one 45rpm record, Thrice/Thursday split that I kinda want to clean. I also inherited an old 7" record, that I may use as a test. I have to check if it's a 78 or 45 rpm, and worth something before applying any type of glue.

Materials:

Gorilla Glue brand Wood Glue. Do not get it confused with their regular Gorilla Glue. The brand of choice I've seen in other forums and videos is Titebond. There are two version of it. I usually hear people talking about Titebond II.

A card, flash card, index card, old credit card, something with a flat edge to even out the glue across the surface of the record. I used a download card from Cold War Kid's "Loyalty To Loyalty".

A turntable, preferably an old one you don't care about if you pushed some glue outside the edges and onto the turntable.

A good amount of patience

You can include:

Brand new inner sleeves in case you're cleaning some recently purchased records from the local swap meet or garage sale.

Anti-static dryer sheets to place on the bottom side of the record because there will be a good amount of static after you remove the wood glue.

Pretty much I have my technique down. After applying the glue and spreading it out evenly, it takes about 90 minutes to dry, compared to the ~14 hours it took on my first attempt. I keep the record spinning on my turntable at 45 rpm with the lid off. If I don't keep it spinning it won't dry as "fast". I'm thinking of buying a brand new fan to blow against the direction of the record while it's spinning to improve dry time.

I'm glad about the way my record turned out. It turned a VG++ into a NM/NM-. I'm glad I discovered this early on in my collection of about 50+ records. I don't have much to clean.

• 2 weeks later...

At some point I would like to get a RCM, but for now, I am going with the Spin Clean. I just picked one up yesterday and cleaned around 30 records, but I have a question for anyone that has used this product extensively. I only cleaned brand new records, and there was a ton of tiny black dirt that came out by the end. I realize that new records do not come clean, and they they do need to be cleaned, but I am wondering if most of this dirt is actually coming out of the records, or is it coming from the black brushes that it uses?

Thats what I was thinking. Every review I read before I got it said "You won't believe what came out of these records!", but I really think that most of what is in the bottom is actually just the new brushes getting worked in. I am not denying that it does a good job, just wondering if all of that was really in my records.

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in about the method I use. I have been using this method for the last 15 years or so. It's very basic but it has always worked for me.

I use Phoenix Record cleaner and a really soft, microfiber cleaning cloth. I have switched cleaning fluids a few times over the years but I have stuck with the Phoenix cleaner for probably the last 6 years or so. If any of you decide to start using the Phoenix cleaner, make sure to do a rinse with distilled water after the fact.

I also keep a carbon fiber brush on hand and I use it all the time.

Again, my method is very basic and is probably frowned upon by some but it has worked for me for the past 15 years. Prior to that method, I use to just use the D4 Discwasher system. Prior to that, I was just a kid and I didn't give two shits or a fuck about cleaning my records.

Phoenix Record cleaner can be found at various online outlets obviously. Sleeve City has a kit that comes with a bottle of cleaner, a microfiber cleaning cloth and a little cleaning mat.

http://www.sleevetow...-cleaning.shtml

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in about the method I use. I have been using this method for the last 15 years or so. It's very basic but it has always worked for me.

I use Phoenix Record cleaner and a really soft, microfiber cleaning cloth. I have switched cleaning fluids a few times over the years but I have stuck with the Phoenix cleaner for probably the last 6 years or so. If any of you decide to start using the Phoenix cleaner, make sure to do a rinse with distilled water after the fact.

I also keep a carbon fiber brush on hand and I use it all the time.

Again, my method is very basic and is probably frowned upon by some but it has worked for me for the past 15 years. Prior to that method, I use to just use the D4 Discwasher system. Prior to that, I was just a kid and I didn't give two shits or a fuck about cleaning my records.

Phoenix Record cleaner can be found at various online outlets obviously. Sleeve City has a kit that comes with a bottle of cleaner, a microfiber cleaning cloth and a little cleaning mat.

http://www.sleevetow...-cleaning.shtml

We just got a puppy and she sleeps in my room. There are dog hairs everywhere, so I'll take this suggestion to clear before / after record playing. Thanks man!

• 2 months later...

There are numerous ways to clean records. Obviously, the record cleaning machine with a good cleaning fluid is probably the best.

On my part, I did not invest in one yet. I used a cleaning brush (velvet type) for years with great results. Any piece of dust you can see is caught in it if you have black records. Don't push too hard. This alone makes a major difference on the sound and dust will never gather around your stylus. Make sure you clean your brush everytime with clean fingers and take off that lint ball you made. Replace it whenever it feels used and not as soft as it was.

For dirty records you bought used or some you just didn't care and put your fingers on (shame!), there is cleaning fluid with velvet type brushes (Discwasher D4 in exemple) that does a good job. You can find them at many online stores. Just spray a bit of fluid on the record while spinning onto the turntable and gently put the brush down for a little while. Let it dry a minute or two. Clean it again with a dry pad.

Finally I'd like to says that you should invest in good inner sleeves. Paper sleeves seem to gather more dust with time in my experience.

This was obviously not some high-end methods but for most people who care enough for their records it is way better than nothing, heh?

I would recommend this DVD for anyone interested into the subject :

It's a Vinyl World After All ~ Michael Fremer

its_a_vinyl_world_cover.jpg

No. No no no no no.

Clean fingers is a very relative term. As a molecular biologist, I'll tell you, you aren't anywhere as clean as you think. Everytime you wipe your dirty (clean) finger across that brush, you might as well throw it out.

I can agree on that. At the same time, you have to get the dust off the brush... :blink: