Cleaning Your Records

And if you want to send me a stack of records with cash to mail em back. I'd clean em for you. Takes about 1min per record.

I might take you up on this, I've got a couple good life records that sound horrendous, but I think a good cleaning might cheer them up. 

Two, Andy, I agree with you totally on getting a VPI it's the best I've heard about. But how will we save for such an item working a minimum wage job? (Not sarcastic) 

How do you save for the records you buy? I saw a RCM sell on eBay for $300 recently. Yes, still a lot to the minimum wage worker, but, think about the money you've invested into all those records. Take a sabbatical on buying records, don't buy Starbucks, don't eat out as much. Make sacrifices where you can. Or as always, handos for randos.

Or as chuck said... DIY.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

VPI165front.jpg

I post this in case you haven't seen a VPI RPM. The actual record hole size is not a variable to tube length... The amount of actual vinyl exposed on a 45 and a 7" (same thing, different hole size), is the same. So you would use a 45 adapter... but tube length is unchanged.

with a 45 adapter, it is not held down properly and the record stops spinning as soon as the vacuum drops.

Does anyone have any experience with a Record Doctor V?

recorddoctor_v_cleaner.jpg

I have a Record Doctor, it may be the very first model though. I don't know if it's the same as that one. I have to manually apply solution and scrub the record, then put it down and hand spin to vacuum the moisture off. It's a pain, but better than nothing. I think I bought mine off a friend for $50. I'd like to get a VPI one day.