Jobs ( What do you do?)

I've been slingin' pizzas for years now.. brain dead, assembly line work.

Just quit and got my dream job (at this stage in life).

My girlfriend's uncle owns the longest standing privately owned record shop in town. I've helped him out here and there and recently helped renovate the place for the re-opening. They've expanded to a ''record bar'' with 15 import tap beers, whiskey, coffee drinks etc. and added a stage to accommodate bands touring through supporting a record. Told me out of the blue a few weeks ago to quit my job and come work for him. Happy fucking camper.

I'll post pics once renovation is done. Super stoked on the idea and the place looks fantastic.

i don't really understand media buying, is it mostly a spreadsheet game? if so im interested

Pretty much, if you understand the basic principals of marketing, enjoy spending a majority of your time staring/building media plans (Excel spreadsheets), haggling/negotiating rates, managing large media budgets, doing research on media vendors (TV, Radio, Web, Print, outdoor...) and your target audience then it would be perfect for you.

tight deadlines and bitchy clients can be headaches, but i love working in an agency and don't think i could function in a "normal" kinda corporate job. Plus the amount of free concert + sporting event tickets + free lunches make up for late nights or weekend work that happens.

i think over the last year i went to about 20+ hockey games (mostly all suites with food and booze included), the frozen four NCAA hockey playoffs, bruce springsteen, tons of baseball games, iron maiden, some comedy shows and countless other things that were all free gifts from vendors.

EDIT: however most of the other folks in the office get annoyed with all the free goodies we (media folks) get because they only get stuff that i cant or dont want to use.

So yeah, my jobs pretty good most of the time.

I like the sound of all of that except the negotiating. I might have to look into this.

Nice to see some other marketing/advertising folks here now.
I direct art.
I buy TV ad space for a large cosmetics company.

you a media buyer? Agency or client side?

I have been working in Ad Agencies throughout Florida for the last 8 years or so as a Media planner/buyer. Not a bad gig at all.

Agency side. It's alight.

stay at home dad, so i watch Dan Patrick radio show until noon, make lunch, find something else to watch then pick up the older kid. then i make the older kid play with the younger kid. i then i watch futurama on comedy central or read the wifes kindle until it's time to make dinner. playing records is tossed in here and there.

next year both kids will be in school. god help me.

stay at home dad, so i watch Dan Patrick radio show until noon, make lunch, find something else to watch then pick up the older kid. then i make the older kid play with the younger kid. i then i watch futurama on comedy central or read the wifes kindle until it's time to make dinner. playing records is tossed in here and there.

next year both kids will be in school. god help me.

Stay at home dad = my dream job someday.

Currently: I was playing bass in various bands here in Tampa (and actually made money sometimes haha), but yesterday (Friday) was my last gig because...

Next month: ...I will be moving out west to begin working as a product engineer (just graduated with my BSEE on Cinco de Mayo) at the only microprocessor company that matters. 8-)