Jobs ( What do you do?)

Currently: Warehouse Manager for an AT&T retailer (we have 30 AT&T locations in southern california)

Working towards: Firefighter

During the day I work for Bank of America. I train systems and customer service for Small Business Customer Service call center associates.

At night I bartend at a little hole in the wall bar called The Copper Door.

I should check it out...

Now that I think about it, a bunch of my friends just went there and I remember their remarks being that it was a total hispter bar. Is this in Santa Ana? Is the place cool? I mean regardless of whether or not certain people think it's hipster.

That is the place, yes. It's in the Artist Colony area on Broadway in Santa Ana. It's not a hipster bar necessarily, but we do get our fair share of them as far as our crowd goes. The other bars in the area are more "club" type atmosphere and we are very much not. It's beer only (most imports and local craft beers). We book DJ's that play motown, funk, soul, oldies etc instead of top 40's. If we have bands they tend to be more funk/soul groups or latin/samba stuff. Thursdays we do indie bands.

Tuesday's are vinyl nights. That's our Open Vinyl event where anybody can come in and spin records. You get a 30 or 45 minute DJ set to play what you want and you'll be comped a few drinks for the effort.

[image]

[image]

Nice to see some other marketing/advertising folks here now.

I direct art.
I'm a copywriter/editor for a marketing company.
I buy TV ad space for a large cosmetics company.

you a media buyer? Agency or client side?

I have been working in Ad Agencies throughout Florida for the last 8 years or so as a Media planner/buyer. Not a bad gig at all.

I work at a local sandwich Shop making roughly $14 an hour. I also work part time as a cook at a pizza place. I fill my time making new crap out when bored. I also do freelance graphic Design. i hate it because its random people wanting logos and stationary mostly. Rarely anything cool. But it pays well for such little time.

I use to be a volunteer coordinator at various Music and film festivals but that dwindled because i move a lot.

Travis, I have always wondered if distribution companies/labels contact you to buy product or do you contact them? Or is it a little of both?

A little of both. For CDs and general vinyl releases the distros send out new release books to solicit their titles. For the exclusive vinyl stuff I usually approach the labels about that.

I direct art.
I buy TV ad space for a large cosmetics company.

I have been working in Ad Agencies throughout Florida for the last 8 years or so as a Media planner/buyer. Not a bad gig at all.

i don't really understand media buying, is it mostly a spreadsheet game? if so im interested

i don't really understand media buying, is it mostly a spreadsheet game? if so im interested

Unlike my role, which is creating websites and mobile apps whose primarily function is to showcase the clients logos as large as possible (or so I gather). Media Buying is a lot of thinky time, strategy and analysis, about which media would be the most optimum channel for your message. Plus, rate negotiation, timing, etc. Spreadsheets are involved but mrc is MORE than the sum of his deliverables. Ain't that right....

Pretty much, if you understand the basic principals of marketing, enjoy spending a majority of your time staring/building media plans (Excel spreadsheets), haggling/negotiating rates, managing large media budgets, doing research on media vendors (TV, Radio, Web, Print, outdoor...) and your target audience then it would be perfect for you.

tight deadlines and bitchy clients can be headaches, but i love working in an agency and don't think i could function in a "normal" kinda corporate job. Plus the amount of free concert + sporting event tickets + free lunches make up for late nights or weekend work that happens.

i think over the last year i went to about 20+ hockey games (mostly all suites with food and booze included), the frozen four NCAA hockey playoffs, bruce springsteen, tons of baseball games, iron maiden, some comedy shows and countless other things that were all free gifts from vendors.

EDIT: however most of the other folks in the office get annoyed with all the free goodies we (media folks) get because they only get stuff that i cant or dont want to use.

So yeah, my jobs pretty good most of the time.

I'm a guard at a provincial correctional centre.

The Regina Correctional Centre? Ever work at any Federal Institutions?

I'm the documentation administrator for a fibre optic company.

Yeah right now I'm working at the Regina one and I've also worked at the Saskatoon Correctional Centre. No I haven't worked in anything federal but I have a friend that just got hired on with the Regional Psychiatric Centre in Saskatoon.