Anyone watch community?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the network matters a great deal, because the whole Thursday night NBC comedy block would've probably been cancelled long ago if it got the same ratings. Being on a last-place network gives Community freedom to do weird things like My Dinner with Andre themed episodes, crossover scenes with Cougartown, and throwaway jokes that take years to get to the punch line (the Beetlejuice thing still blows my mind)

Yeah, the network matters a great deal, because the whole Thursday night NBC comedy block would've probably been cancelled long ago if it got the same ratings. Being on a last-place network gives Community freedom to do weird things like My Dinner with Andre themed episodes, crossover scenes with Cougartown, and throwaway jokes that take years to get to the punch line (the Beetlejuice thing still blows my mind)

i guess I may need to just go back to square on eiwth it and see if watching it from the beginning does anything

Big Bang Theory is one of the worst shows I've personally ever seen, so unfunny it hurts.

As some one who has two scientists for parents, and am in a science field myself this show is just painful to watch. It's every stereotype about scientists thrown in your face. I feel like they're trying to celebrate geek culture but really just come off as mocking it with terrible stereotypes, I really hate it. Community on the other hand is probably the funniest show in the last 5 years and I'm pissed that Dan Harmon is leaving. Not sure the 4th season is even going to be worth watching.

Big Bang Theory is one of the worst shows I've personally ever seen, so unfunny it hurts.

As some one who has two scientists for parents, and am a science field myself this show is just painful to watch. It's every stereotype about scientists thrown in your face. I feel like they're trying to celebrate geek culture but really just come off as mocking it with terrible stereotypes, I really hate it. Community on the other hand is probably the funniest show in the last 5 years and I'm pissed that Dan Harmon is leaving. Not sure the 4th season is even going to be worth watching.

+1 times a 1000

As some one who has two scientists for parents, and am a science field myself this show is just painful to watch. It's every stereotype about scientists thrown in your face. I feel like they're trying to celebrate geek culture but really just come off as mocking it with terrible stereotypes, I really hate it. Community on the other hand is probably the funniest show in the last 5 years and I'm pissed that Dan Harmon is leaving. Not sure the 4th season is even going to be worth watching.

Don't forget how wrong it gets comic and gaming culture.

Don't forget how wrong it gets comic and gaming culture.

I don't know much about gaming culture and only a little about comic culture so I didn't include it, but I do know a lot of scientists find it either offensive or insulting because of the way it portrays them. Also whoever pointed out the ratings, just because lots of people watch it doesn't mean its good, Jenny Mccarthy had a New York times best seller, and she was so unbelievably wrong its not even funny.

I just like watching it because I find Howard's fiancee adorable. I do find it humorous from time to time though.

Overall id take Community or Psych over any comedy show on TV. Archer being a close 2nd.

Big Bang theory is "nerd blackface" IMO. Big bang theory has the same characters it had four years ago. Community's characters have developed into something different. Watch Jeff winger over three years and you'll be amazed. abed and Troy are about as great as jd and Turk.

What I love about community is that Harmon knows everything about the traditional sitcom and uses that to completely fuck with what a sitcom is. this is the sitcom the four years after its cancellation everyone will be hailing just like arrested development and party down.

Yes, it's getting cancelled because you don't find it funny.

No, it is getting cancelled because it is not as good as you think/wish it was.

If I may ask, Jimmy, what is your ethnicity, and what superior shows does it qualify you to recommend?

I am hispanic, but unfortunately I don't spend much time watching television so I have no "superior" shows to recommend for you. Way to take my "clever" joke seriously, I thought you were hip to that stuff Mr. Community. ::)

you mean you like being told when to laugh.

If you say so, I just thought I liked it when things were actually funny instead of trying too hard to be clever. "Edison out"......OOOH SO FUNNY!

community and parks are the 2 best comedies on tv. the only competition they have are archer and workaholics.

I can back Archer, but Workaholics got old before the end of the first season.

All of the big networks are doing shows that are similar. It's just lacking something. It's trying to not be funny to be funny, which to me still makes it not funny.

...what?

If you say so, I just thought I liked it when things were actually funny instead of trying too hard to be clever. "Edison out"......OOOH SO FUNNY!

I don't get this stance. I don't see this show as overly concerned with being "clever" at all. And I don't feel the need for my tastes to be validated by TV shows, I genuinely find the humor to be funny and the characters to be relatable and engaging. My mom loves Community, and she's not some try-hard twentysomething with an English Lit degree. She's a 50-year-old stay-at-home mom who votes Republican. I know a diverse group of people who like the show, and none of them strike me as people who need a once-a-week ego stroke for keeping up with some witty banter. There is so much more to the show than that.

And really, I don't expect anyone to be swayed by a fan writing a paragraph on a message board or some context-free GIFs. I've never seen a YouTube clip that changed my mind about a show. The only thing that has ever resulted in me becoming a fan of a show is by just watching the show, for like 10 episodes. I'm just saying don't dismiss it right away. It's my favorite show, it's probably getting cancelled next season, and it's got 3 mostly solid seasons under its belt. I'm just giving a recommendation.

Santiago......what comedians do you find funny???

edit:....also, this isn't a jab, it's a legitimate question....pending on what style of comedy you enjoy might be why this/these shows don't really appeal to you

So many, but these are off the top of my head, in no particular order, for both standup and movies: Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie/Charlie Murphy, Bill Murray, Louie C.K., Tracy Ullman, Kevin Hart, Redd Foxx, Paul Mooney, Lily Tomlin, Bill Burr, Chris Rock, Trey Parker/Matt Stone, Dave Chappelle, Dan Aykroyd, Lenny Bruce, Katt Williams, Dana Carvey, Mike Epps, John Candy, Amy Poehler, Cheech and Chong, Mike Meyers, Tina Fey, Robin Williams, the writers/cast of Simpsons/Futurama/Family Guy, and a bunch more. I guess I lean more to the old school...

I wish there were more ladies in this list, but I am drawing huge blanks on names at the moment.

Alex, I can dig where you are coming from, and believe me, I don't hate the show at all...that emotion is saved for the housewife/rich jerkass/reality bullshyte that pollutes the airwaves. I just wasn't drawn to it. I get the humor, and think the cast members are funny individually, but the show never grabbed me. To each their own I suppose.

If I had my way, I would say keep the show and cancel stuff like Glee and every reality show ever.

And the fact that people still use viewership to show how good a show is blows my mind. Nickelback sells out arenas, they must be doing something right.

I don't really care or know about the viewership. I just know for my tastes, i like it better. but i will admit that i'm sure if i started watching this when it started, i'm sure i'd like it better with the character development. i'm a fan of parodies, so i know when i was into the comic culture, a lot of people did act the way they do. I'm ok with the so called nerd "blackface" just like i loved the episode of Chappelle show with the spanish devil on his solider. i love the making fun of stereotypes that i can relate to. just me.

also, Bernadette and Penny are pretty much the main reason me and the wife watch it haha

And the fact that people still use viewership to show how good a show is blows my mind. Nickelback sells out arenas, they must be doing something right.

I don't really care or know about the viewership. I just know for my tastes, i like it better. but i will admit that i'm sure if i started watching this when it started, i'm sure i'd like it better with the character development. i'm a fan of parodies, so i know when i was into the comic culture, a lot of people did act the way they do. I'm ok with the so called nerd "blackface" just like i loved the episode of Chappelle show with the spanish devil on his solider. i love the making fun of stereotypes that i can relate to. just me.

also, Bernadette and Penny are pretty much the main reason me and the wife watch it haha

Bernadette is my fav. She has the smarts like the guys and amy, and the had the looks like penny, but doesnt have any of the idiosyncracies of either.

And i may be odd man out,but growing up as a big dork/gamer myself, they seem to have.geek culture Down to some.extent. I know several people who can easily be portrayed as any of the guys as well. If they r wrong u might as well lump kevin smiths comic book men in the same blackface catagory, because both shows portray a Level of geekdom that levels the scale as far as absurdity. I always jusy watch it with a Level of mid/low expectations and am amused by it in most cases. Not saying its better than community but i think its far from horrible. Just my opinion though.

Bernadette is my fav. She has the smarts like the guys and amy, and the had the looks like penny, but doesnt have any of the idiosyncracies of either.

And i may be odd man out,but growing up as a big dork/gamer myself, they seem to have.geek culture Down to some.extent. I know several people who can easily be portrayed as any of the guys as well. If they r wrong u might as well lump kevin smiths comic book men in the same blackface catagory, because both shows portray a Level of geekdom that levels the scale as far as absurdity. I always jusy watch it with a Level of mid/low expectations and am amused by it in most cases. Not saying its better than community but i think its far from horrible. Just my opinion though.

well said. totally agree

ok, now that the dust has settled, can we just talk about Community?

most of all, i wanna touch on how the season ended. i feel like it really felt the effects of the hiatus hard at the end. squeezing in three episodes to finish the season in one night was overload... too much happened there. especially since the video game episode (cool. coolcoolcool.) had no business happening at that point of the story... totally broke up the whole chang thing.

and with the way the whole AC school thing was a season-long thread, it felt rushed. as my friend was saying, they had a lot of fantastic ideas (ac school, chang taking over the school, doppledeaner) but it was all too jammed up to really unfold the way it should have.

im also really surprised that the annie/jeff thing is still so far removed from resolve. perhaps its a good thing, and that theres still a lot to happen there, but gosh theyve been dangling that plot for a while.

lastly, im so happy they did something right with chang. by the second or third episode this season, i was calling for him to get killed off. he was pretty much just there to collect a check and say something stupid once an episode. but here, they were able to take his bat-shit-insanity, and give it relevant life.

"Harmon knows how to make amazing television, but he doesn’t know how to make “commercial” television. That’s why we love him; that’s why executives hate him."