Tipping

in somewhat relation to this thread, I went out to eat over the weekend and they automatically added the tip to the bill, it was about 80 bucks for the both of us or so and I probably would of tipped more than they included but I was so irritated by the situation I just signed and left him what he gave himself.

for some reason those type of situations dont sit well with me, I work in the food service industry myself and always take care of my bartenders and servers, but when it comes down to it, it is gratuity and it should be up to me to decided what I want to leave

a year or so ago, I helped make a $1500 catering order at Jimmy John's in Tuscaloosa (took 3 of us about 2+ hours), helped load everything into 3 different vehicles, helped deliver it........and the guy literally tipped nothing...THAT'S fucking frustrating.

I quit doing delivery driving because I couldn't handle people that didn't tip....I fucking know your name, I know where you live, I probably had a hand in making your food....too many bad ideas constantly ran through my head

I might start Bartending soon, and I've been assured that most weeks you make damn good money at the venue I help out at....but i know how I get about tips and almost scared to take the position.

Also, for what it's worth, I've found that most people who are working class people seem to tip more often/better than those who are clearly fully fucking loaded with money....so it's essentially the middle class keeping the middle class alive.

I hate people that don't tip as much as I hate dirty fucking bums that beg for money....same level of entitlement to me (actually had this discussion at work about an hour and a half ago). I'm going to be fucking awesome if I ever have money, gonna tip like a mother-fucker everywhere I go and kick Hobo's in the balls for not getting up off of their asses and at least washing some fucking dishes for cash.

in somewhat relation to this thread, I went out to eat over the weekend and they automatically added the tip to the bill, it was about 80 bucks for the both of us or so and I probably would of tipped more than they included but I was so irritated by the situation I just signed and left him what he gave himself.

for some reason those type of situations dont sit well with me, I work in the food service industry myself and always take care of my bartenders and servers, but when it comes down to it, it is gratuity and it should be up to me to decided what I want to leave

This is what I'm saying! Yes, if you don't tip you're a dick. But it's still a tip! You can't just expect it and then be pissy when it's not good enough.

^ I serve an entirely different clientele, but at my golf course we only have 1 person on at a time that grills, serves, and cashes food-related items and people tip well. When I say well, I mean they're giving me $1 to grab them a $2 powerade or sometimes I've gotten $2 for a $1.75 coffee or a $3.50 hamburger.

Blue collar people rock.

The golfers aren't our main clientele. We are family restaurant and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. We are mostly known for our breakfast and yes blue collar people rock and they are usually the best tippers outside of people in the restaurant industry who usually leave clean tables as well.

I hate the concept of tipping; it stresses me out. I just want to pay whatever I have to pay (i.e., just tell me what to "tip" or increase the price ~15% and increase wages) and not worry about whether or not I'm doing enough.

I've never had a tip-based job (and, more importantly, I've never *relied* financially on a tip-based job), so maybe that's my issue, but in my (perhaps judgmental) opinion, tipping is just there to make workers work harder and be nicer, and I don't understand why I need to give people an incentive to work hard and be nice.

and for the record, I usually tip 10% + enough to round to the nearest dollar. at bars, I only order water (I don't drink), and I usually give a dollar if I've had a couple of refills

10% is garbage. i dont care what your stance is- thats not cool.

perhaps I should mention that my meals are only ~$12 so the round-up factor usually puts me fairly close to 15%?

$1.20 + $0.80 = $2 > $1.80 = 15%

olive garden's cheese ravioli + free breadsticks + salad + a water constitutes a pretty extravagant meal to me :)

This is not in response to the OP, just about tipping in general.

I tip, always. However, I fucking hate people who feel entitled to tips. Someone in the thread mentioned getting upset and wanting to fucking with peoples food /drink because they don't get a tip. Seriously? You are working for a wage, your tip is extra. I understand a lot of tip based jobs are minimum wage because it is assumed you will be tipped heavily, but to talk about messing with peoples food/drink is ridiculous.

Maybe you should quit acting like you expect it all the time and you will receive more tips.

10% is garbage. i dont care what your stance is- thats not cool.

perhaps I should mention that my meals are only ~$12 so the round-up factor usually puts me fairly close to 15%?

olive garden's cheese ravioli + free breadsticks + salad + a water constitutes a pretty extravagant meal to me :)

but if your server is bringing you ravioli, breadsticks, salad, and a water, they deserve more than $2. just because you arent paying for those things it doesnt take away from their work.

also, one of my friends used to serve, and it became insufferable going out to eat with him. he felt it was his duty to compensate for other poor tippers, and pretty much demanded more money out of everyone else's pockets on an already appropriate tip.

I feel like waiters and waitresses assume because of my age (24 but I look young) that I'm not gonna tip good so they pay attention to the more adult looking people or larger groups more. Which then adds to their belief that I wouldn't have tipped well. Of course I'm not gonna tip well if you ignore me, don't ask if I want a refil, take way too long to bring my check or don't even stop by to ask if the food tastes good. Once I tipped $20 on a $30 meal just because they were ignoring me and I wanted to show them not everyone my age doesn't tip.

I tip, always. However, I fucking hate people who feel entitled to tips. Someone in the thread mentioned getting upset and wanting to fucking with peoples food /drink because they don't get a tip. Seriously? You are working for a wage, your tip is extra. I understand a lot of tip based jobs are minimum wage because it is assumed you will be tipped heavily, but to talk about messing with peoples food/drink is ridiculous.

Maybe you should quit acting like you expect it all the time and you will receive more tips.

You've never held a job in a restaurant, have you?

but if your server is bringing you ravioli, breadsticks, salad, and a water, they deserve more than $2. just because you arent paying for those things it doesnt take away from their work.

+1

I have not and I never plan to, however I live with someone who has for years. His girlfriend does as well, so I hear about quite a bit. That in no way shape or form makes me well-informed. Then again, I don't need to be as we are all stating opinion here.

I have not and I never plan to, however I live with someone who has for years. His girlfriend does as well, so I hear about quite a bit. That in no way shape or form makes me well-informed. Then again, I don't need to be as we are all stating opinion here.

Yeah everyone's entitled to think whatever, and you did also say you tip so I'm not really disagreeing with you. I completely missed your "I tip, always" first sentence ha.

I was going to say from my past experience there's a large group of people who just don't tip and justify it by saying their servers get paid by the hour. When I worked my hourly wage was $4.25 an hour... I'm sure that's even lower down south. Obviously it's impossible to live on that. Even though I shouldn't have expected a tip from every customer in theory, I relied on them to get by.

Agreed.

/this/ is why I hate tipping. I can think I'm doing the right thing tipping ~15% and my server is gonna be pissed that I gave them $2. am I supposed to do something like:

min(10% + 1% per visit to my table + 5% if they're an attractive girl, $5)

because I don't want to look cheap? if I wanted to do some sort of mathematical optimization problem to calculate the minimum tip at which my server wouldn't get all high and mighty, I'd just cook pasta at home like I usually do. tip = $0; success!

I once asked for change at a restaurant ( was supposed to get something like 12.50 back) and the server came back with 12.50 in change (6 $2 coins etc) am I supposed to believe that the place that had 60 or so people in it didn't have a 10 or 2 fives in the register? I actually tipped like 40% on my bill because I admired the creativity.

because shes bringing you a drink, and bread, and an appetizer, and a meal.

its exactly the same as someone coming in, getting free bread, calamari, a martini, and the tour of italy.

does she still deserve $2?