Tipping

i agree with the part about wishing we didn't have to tip....I wish waiters/servers/bartenders made fucking great money for working their asses off so I didn't have to feel obligated to dish out extra money.

nothing worse than getting paid less than minimum wage doing deliveries in a jeep with gas at $3-$4/gal. and spending more in gas than I made in tips because fucking college Frat Daddies and Sorostitutes parents' didn't teach them to fucking tip before they sent their unwarranted entitled asses off to fucking college

This is not in response to the OP, just about tipping in general.

I tip, always. However, I fucking hate people who feel entitled to tips. Someone in the thread mentioned getting upset and wanting to fucking with peoples food /drink because they don't get a tip. Seriously? You are working for a wage, your tip is extra. I understand a lot of tip based jobs are minimum wage because it is assumed you will be tipped heavily, but to talk about messing with peoples food/drink is ridiculous.

Maybe you should quit acting like you expect it all the time and you will receive more tips.

Pfft, I wish I made minimum wage while I was serving 3 years ago. I was making $2.83 an hour. Seeing as how the tip usually comes after services have been rendered, it's hard to mess with their order beforehand, unless they're repeat offenders. That said, always tip well on your first drink order with a bartender. If they know you'll be cool to them, they'll be cool to you. Doesn't hurt to do the same with servers sometimes, either. Pre-tipping has been known to lead to stronger drinks, free shots, no charges for soft drinks/extra sauces/sides, and way better service. If I think you're going to be a shitty tipper, I'm charging you for every refill and extra side of ranch you order to get your bill higher to increase the base amount of the tip. Let me know you're going to hook me up at the end and that shit's free. Extortion? Maybe, but fuck you for ignoring basic customer courtesy.

I never know how/when you're supposed to tip for shuttle drivers or valet or anything like that.

our shuttle runs on the property, so it only goes between 3/4 mile or less, however, where we drive to, charges $12 for self or $24 for valet, so we are saving people about that much. $1 or $2 per person makes us jump for joy. Same with valets, but i wouldn't recommened using valet service, they pummel your cars. Luggage is the same. if your ass cant pick a up a 50lb and expects us to, $2 feels great.

Seriously? You are working for a wage, your tip is extra. I understand a lot of tip based jobs are minimum wage because it is assumed you will be tipped heavily, but to talk about messing with peoples food/drink is ridiculous.

Seriously? You are working for a wage, your tip is extra. I understand a lot of tip based jobs are minimum wage because it is assumed you will be tipped heavily, but to talk about messing with peoples food/drink is ridiculous.

Maybe you should quit acting like you expect it all the time and you will receive more tips.

most tip based jobs are paid under minimum wage because you are going to get tips. like $3 or $4 under minimum wage. tipping is usually never usually extra, unless like me where the shuttle is only one of my shifts in the week. it's still nice if someone is doing a service for you that you either can't do or don't want to do, ie. work in the service industry

My 2 cents. Was a pizza delivery guy on 2 separate occasions. Thankfully my encounters were always brief and cordial. Only time people got pissed at me was when I get in my car and it was an order place an hour ago. For the most part where I worked was a mixed high in income/low income are (guess who lived up in the hills) and people were understanding.

I could rarely think of an occasion where someone didn't tip me....except the one time a crackhead ordered from my place, paid in coins, and shorted me a dollar. Win some you lose some. This definitely helped me tip better.

If you stiff on a $140 bill, you are a scumbag

Seriously, it's not tipping I believe in...it's OVER tipping.

I was about to quote My Blue Heaven until I realized that you already had.

I've never worked in the service industry but that hasn't stopped me from routinely tipping 20%+ in the majority of dining/drinking situations.

This caused all sorts of awkwardness when I went to Paris and London with my girlfriend last year. We knew beforehand that tips are already calculated into bills but we still left a tip on the table out of habit. We just couldn't NOT leave one!

because shes bringing you a drink, and bread, and an appetizer, and a meal.

its exactly the same as someone coming in, getting free bread, calamari, a martini, and the tour of italy.

does she still deserve $2?

this suggests that using a percentage-based rule for tipping is dumb, right? that meal would surely cost 3x as much as my meal (which begs the question "why tip the server when I should be tipping the cook?" but whatever)

as for "does she still deserve $2?", how much does a server "deserve" per hour? $15/hour? that seems pretty nice. I get $22/hour as a grad student assistant with an masters, so that seems fair. supposing servers get paid $3/hour, meaning $12/hour should be in tips. how many tables does a typical server serve in an hour, or rather, how many customers per hour? if it's more than 6, a $2/person tip gets you to your $15/hour.

is it a hard job? depends what we're comparing it to. I unloaded trucks at walmart for a summer for... ~$10/hour? I'm sure there's more stress serving, but I don't run a restaurant, so I have no idea how much they "deserve" to be paid.

• 1 year later...

My take—If you require assistance from the calculator on your phone to determine gratuity, you're a cheapskate. Case. Fucking. Closed.

Even if you tip well but use a phone, you have problems. Move the decimal over on place, and this is a 10% tip. Double it for 20%. Add to total. Round to the nearest dollar where appropriate. Easy.

But I get your point.

I always make sure the post-tip total is a whole dollar amount. Makes keeping track of expenses much easier in the long run.

As far as calculators...if you can't even do the elementary school math required to tip properly you are an arsehole.

Geeze that does suck..

Had a family come in, father was extremely rude and they spent well over $100..closer to $122 or 23 I think.

Paid with a card then as I turned the corner to collect their plates he empties his pockets on the table (loose change, gum, balled up $1s, trash) and the family left. One of the reasons I'm not a waiter now.

I tip pretty good IMO. At first ave they have servers go through the crowd and take orders. Everyone always stiffs them or leaves them change, I always make sure to give them a buck or two because they have to work way harder. I tip proba 20% or more if the girl is cute. And usually a buck a drink. But I mainly go out on filler drink night so that's no probs

I typically start at 15-16% and work my way either forwards or backwards. I think it's uncontainable to skip out on a tip. But if your service sucks, even for $10 ticket, $1 tip is still something and I think it lets them know that service wasn't great.

It's not rocket science. If the house is packed, things take longer. Just keep bringing me refills and I'm good.

Tipping is much more of an exception than the rule here. People leave change usually, like 20 or 30 cents, but on general one out of five people will leave the change and one out of ten people will leave a tip in the range of 5-7%. Tips over 10% are very rare. Cultural differences I guess...

Oh, and an average waiter makes around $6/h, those in nicer restaurants maybe close to $10/h.

I always make sure the post-tip total is a whole dollar amount. Makes keeping track of expenses much easier in the long run.

As far as calculators...if you can't even do the elementary school math required to tip properly you are an arsehole.

I used to do this, then I figured it was nicer to tip them whole dollar amounts (if I am using my card). So if it was $25.87 or something like that, I'd leave $30.87.

And as for the calculator thing, it's nice in Erie County. Our sales tax is 8.25% so I just double it and round up. Way up if it was good service, or if it was super cheap. There's a diner we go to where two of us will eat for like $11 or $12 and we leave $20.

Yeah im a pizza guy and I hate getting stiffed. like today I just delivered 40 pizzas and didn't get a tip. $240 and they couldnt put in a few bucks. It's sucks and happens alot

I actually have a question. I order pizza a lot and I usually leave a 3 dollar tip...is that enough or am I stiffing the delivery dude...?

I've always worried about this...haha