The Scale of the Universe

Guest thankyoubasedgod

That was actually really awesome. It really puts thing into perspective. We're so small in the grand scheme of things and our lives are so short.. It's crazy. I've been doing a lot of research on many philosophical ideas and theories relating to life and physics, and it's all super interesting. I think I'm finding my niche with Ra's Law of One. As far as Physics is concerned though, I just started looking into it and the String Theory/11th dimension stuff is really interesting. You'd think we've come so far as a species but all we truly know is that we know absolutely nothing at all. We don't even know how solidity exists (technically it doesn't, even though it appears to) since there's basically nothing holding matter together, everything is just floating. I'd like to take some physics related courses at my college but the math scares me away.. So I'm looking into registering for some philosophy courses and astrology classes as credit fillers even though everyone tells me they're a pain in the ass and I should stay clear from them.

Thanks for sharing!

I saw a video on youtube that is similar to this where it is CGI and it keeps zooming out in space to show the size of stuff and then ends with it showing our sun next to a giant star, and its like the size of a dust flake. It really is just mind boggling to think about. There is just so much out there that we know absolutely nothing about, and it is all so interesting.

As far as thankyoubasedgod goes, by all means register for both those classes. Astrology will be math heavy, but is certainly doable if you enjoy the topic, it doesnt feel quite so math heavy, and philosophy classes are great. Very interesting and relatively easy.

Guest realtalk

Yes, it really is humbling to consider the size of the universe... or to try to.

The idea that distance in space is measured in light years blows me away:

So light travels around 300,000 km/second. Ok so that's a crazy long distance to cover in a second. Then consider that distances in space are billions of light years away. Light traveling this fast for billions of years is some sort of unfathomable distance!

Also neat that when we see stars etc. in the sky that we're looking into the past because it has taken such a long time for that light to reach us. The star/whatever might not even be there any more!

Guest thankyoubasedgod

I saw a video on youtube that is similar to this where it is CGI and it keeps zooming out in space to show the size of stuff and then ends with it showing our sun next to a giant star, and its like the size of a dust flake. It really is just mind boggling to think about. There is just so much out there that we know absolutely nothing about, and it is all so interesting.

As far as thankyoubasedgod goes, by all means register for both those classes. Astrology will be math heavy, but is certainly doable if you enjoy the topic, it doesnt feel quite so math heavy, and philosophy classes are great. Very interesting and relatively easy.

I'm going back to my college soon to get advised for the Fall so I'm definitely going to look into both Astrology and Philosophy courses. I've heard Astrology was fairly easy, but Philosophy is a lot of writing and essays which I really don't mind too much. I am and always have been super interested in this stuff so hopefully it'll be fun. I have all of my courses necessary for my major out of the way so everyone has been telling me to take fluff courses so I can get easy credits.. But I might as well learn something and take something I'm actually interested in if I'm going to be spending money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgWd_O8juoU

I saw a thing on the Science channel this morning about the Large Hardon Collider which cost like 10 billions to make just to recreate an event similar to the big bang.. Shit is bananas. I heard about this back in 2009 but never looked into it. And now I'm reading about black holes and black hole thermodynamics and my mind is being blown again haha.

I remember watching some documentary talking about space travel and the main reason it isn't practical right now is because it would take too long. Like a trip to Jupiter would be an 8 YEAR round trip or something. I hate being on a plane for more than a couple hours at a time, could you imagine years?!?!

Love that Calvin and Hobbes!

here's a cool as fuck site my Philosophy of Time professor showed me. You can zoom in and out on everything in the universe, from the infinitely small (i.e. quarks, theoretical strings, etc.), out to the infinitely huge (outside the observable universe. pretty fucking awesome.

http://scaleofuniverse.com/

The whole project comes across as half-baked. They couldn't convince Reddit, so I doubt they're going to convince investors.

http://www.reddit.co...e_way/?sort=top

http://www.reddit.co...ng_four_people/

I remember hearing about this...I think on Rachel Maddow but I'm not sure...

This makes an extremely interesting comment about our culture. Have we become so focused and content with reality TV and peoples lives as entertainment that we will in fact send four people to a planet where we aren't sure if they will survive and tell them that they will never come back, and then watch them on TV? It begs the question of what will happen when people are taken outside of our construct of civilization and morality. What is to stop them from killing each other now that there will be no reprecussions for their actions? If something like that were to happen would we watch it on television? I know this is a pretty bleak view of humanity, but look at what people do to each other with laws in place....what happens when those laws are removed?

Also, on the other hand, how cool would it be to be one of the first people to inhabit a new planet? But at what cost....Is it worth it?

These are some pretty wild times we live in...

here's a cool as fuck site my Philosophy of Time professor showed me. You can zoom in and out on everything in the universe, from the infinitely small (i.e. quarks, theoretical strings, etc.), out to the infinitely huge (outside the observable universe. pretty fucking awesome.

http://scaleofuniverse.com/

Congratulations on posting a link to the exact same thing that started this entire thread.